[QEMU] Playing any audio hangs ReactOS

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

nsvb

[QEMU] Playing any audio hangs ReactOS

Post by nsvb »

Hey guys. Recently been playing around with ReactOS. I got almost everything working as I intented, except audio. I've passed the

Code: Select all

-device AC97
as the wiki suggests and installed the AC97 drivers from Application manager and rebooted twice. When I play the C:\ReactOS\media\ReactOS_LogOn.wav it hangs the guest. I have no way but to kill the vm.

I've tried to pass the audio to pulseaudio, alsa and even tried spice (with spice-gtk), but got no luck. I'm on Void Linux x86_64 with qemu 6.0.0. Here's what I did:

I downloaded the latest RC ISO ReactOS-0.4.14-RC-71-gcfc2431-iso.zip (release-18 iso crashes on startup with ntoskrnl.exe), made a disk image and created a script to run the machine:

mkdir reactos && cd reactos
#unzipped the zip file
mv ReactOS*.iso reactos.iso
qemu-img create -f qcow2 reactos.hd 4G
touch run.sh
chmod +x run.sh
On run.sh I have:

#!/usr/bin/env sh
qemu-system-`uname -m` -m 1500M -enable-kvm \
  -net nic,model=ne2k_pci -net user \
  -audiodev driver=pa,id=snd0,server=`pactl info | grep 'Server String' | awk '{print $3}'` -device AC97,audiodev=snd0 \
  -cdrom reactos.iso -hda reactos.hd \
  -serial file:/tmp/ros.log
"pactl info | grep 'Server String' | awk '{print $3}'" returns "/run/user/1000/pulse/native" in my system. I have an Nvidia card on my system if it makes a difference.

I ran the run.sh and installed with the default options and rebooted when done. Completed the GUI setup with mostly default ones too. When I booted into desktop I went straight to Applications Manager, installed "AC'97 Driver for VirtualBox" in "C:\ReactOS" and rebooted twice. It shows "Avance AC97 Audio" under "Audio & Videocontroller" in My Computer (right click) - Manage - Device Manager.

But when I play the wav file inside C:\ReactOS\media or play any sound in Sound properties (right click sound tray icon - adjust - sounds) it hangs. I've tried Winamp and Qmmp to play the wav and downloaded test mp3s, but same result. Please help!

Log (pulseaudio): https://pastebin.com/7KUTRU5Z
Log (only -device AC97 without -audiodev): https://pastebin.com/E9mTm5ir

Note: When I run the script it shows these:

pulseaudio: set_sink_input_volume() failed
pulseaudio: Reason: Invalid argument
pulseaudio: set_sink_input_mute() failed
pulseaudio: set_sink_input_volume() failed
pulseaudio: set_sink_input_mute() failed
pulseaudio: set_source_output_volume() failed
pulseaudio: set_source_output_mute() failed
Although "snd0" appears in pavucontrol's playback tab. Due to these errors I've tried these instead of the "-audiodev ...-device" line above:

-audiodev driver=alsa,id=snd0 -device AC97,audiodev=snd0

-device AC97

-device ac97

-audiodev driver=spice,id=snd0 -device AC97,audiodev=snd0 -vga qxl -usbdevice tablet -spice port=5658,disable-ticketing=on -daemonize -pidfile /tmp/rospid # then added at the end of the script to run spice-gtk client: spicy --title 'ReactOS' -h 127.0.0.1 -p 5658 && kill `cat /tmp/rospid`
These get rid of the message, but result is pretty much the same. In some cases it just doesn't do anything when I play audio, and Audio properties says No device. No success either way.