Compatibility review

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

sammuel

Compatibility review

Post by sammuel »

Following the recomendation for the older post (as refered) i'd like to know: is it possible yet to run a software compiled for Windows (with Dot Net Framework 2.0) and Sql Server 2008 R2 Express? The software uses GDI+ apis as well so, would Dot Net install at all?

The older post where from 2018 (reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=143622)
oldman

Re: Compatibility review

Post by oldman »

Microsoft .NET Framework Version 2.0 Redistributable Package is in the rapps database and is available through Rapps application manager. Whatever is listed in the rapps database, was found to be working and should still work, but could have regressed.

My advice, is to test it and see what the outcome is. If you find a bug in ReactOS, then report it. But always remember that ReactOS is still alpha and prone to bsods.

How to get a debug log
How to create a JIRA Issue
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Basically, nothing works in ReactOS, assume that. Then if it works, feel happy and report back. With regard to GDI+ I would expect your application to fail to render properly, if it renders at all - but still worth testing to find out. I have had some luck in placing some graphics on the screen but regular GDI+ updates failed to re-render. I plan to test GDI+ myself in the next few weeks.

I believe ReactOS gets the majority of its GDI code from Wine and I understand that Wine translates the GDI+ calls to GDI methods, a process that might differ somewhat from how Microsoft implemented GDI+. This knowledge I purport to have, is quite out of date so might require you to do so some research for yourself - this was the state of GDI+ APIs in Wine as of 2008 but I have seen no more recent update since - http://www.kegel.com/wine/sweng/2008/project.html

You are new to ReactOS ? Read this in full before asking any questions - it may assist you now and it may help to answer some of your future questions - https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_FAQ#User_FAQ

Do read the whole thing, it will assist you with some basic answers to normal questions that are asked often. The team will expect you to know all this before they help you and it will make your life easier.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
sammuel

Post by sammuel »

Ok, i understand - no expectations, no problem.

I find it odd that .Net exists in "Rapps Application Manager" (will find that out, haven't installed React OS again - tryied once some time ago) since "System.Graphics.dll" from .Net basically wraps up some GDI+ functions to simply exist (like Bigmap class, Graphics class and such).
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

There are loads of apps in Rapps that should work, will work, don't work &c. That is the manner of an Alpha o/s in the real world. As I said, expect all apps to break. Just because an app is in Rapps doesn't change the status of ReactOS.

In addition, understand that development will continuously make things work and then break them, then make them work again. However, it will all work in the end, well, that is the hope.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:03 pm There are loads of apps in Rapps that should work, will work, don't work &c. Just because an app is in Rapps doesn't change the status of ReactOS.
If the app exists in RAPPS, it means it previously worked, so you need to check newer builds against older to find regression.