PS/2 mouse not found

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Setjhaba

PS/2 mouse not found

Post by Setjhaba »

Hello,
I wanted to update ReactOS on an old Duron 700. The previously installed version was more than 10 years old. I had to go back from 0.4.13 to 0.4.11 to get it running. All more recent versions resulted in a BSOD.
One of my main problems is, that the device manager no longer lists my PS/2-mouse which worked perfectly with ReactOS a decade ago. I guess this issue has already been brought up, but my search in the forum was not successful...
Does anybody have an idea, what I could do?
oldman

Re: PS/2 mouse not found

Post by oldman »

Have you eliminated the actual mouse, by trying a different one?

I have done a quick search in Jira and I have not found a new report about PS2.

Have you tried 0.4.14 RC livecd and bootcd
They were updated just 12 hours ago.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

Or grab some development build from here: https://iso.reactos.org/

This is the most recent one at the moment: https://iso.reactos.org/bootcd/reactos- ... lin-dbg.7z
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Setjhaba wrote: Mon Jan 04, 2021 10:39 pm Hello,
I wanted to update ReactOS on an old Duron 700. The previously installed version was more than 10 years old. I had to go back from 0.4.13 to 0.4.11 to get it running. All more recent versions resulted in a BSOD.
One of my main problems is, that the device manager no longer lists my PS/2-mouse which worked perfectly with ReactOS a decade ago. I guess this issue has already been brought up, but my search in the forum was not successful...
Does anybody have an idea, what I could do?
If older ROS versions used to work on the very same computer, it would be interesting for you to do some regression testing in order to find when exactly things started to not work.
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

oldman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 am Have you eliminated the actual mouse, by trying a different one?
I already tried my primary's mouse, which was also not recognised. Booting a live-Ubuntu gets the mouse to work, so hardware-issues are eliminated.
oldman wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 11:17 am Have you tried 0.4.14 RC livecd and bootcd
They were updated just 12 hours ago.
This version (other than 12/13) seems to be stable, but still no mouse.
hbelusca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:14 pm If older ROS versions used to work on the very same computer, it would be interesting for you to do some regression testing in order to find when exactly things started to not work.
I'd like to do that, but unfortunately I do not have enough time to test every version of the last ~12 years...
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

You don't have to test every version. Take one from the middle of time. If it works take a newer one (the middle again) and if not, take an older one.
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

gonzoMD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm You don't have to test every version. Take one from the middle of time. If it works take a newer one (the middle again) and if not, take an older one.
I know, I was exaggerating a little bit. Nevertheless, it is a time-consuming process. I will do it, but I don't know, how long it is going to take...is there nobody else using a PS/2 mouse?
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Setjhaba wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:38 pm
gonzoMD wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:23 pm You don't have to test every version. Take one from the middle of time. If it works take a newer one (the middle again) and if not, take an older one.
I know, I was exaggerating a little bit. Nevertheless, it is a time-consuming process. I will do it, but I don't know, how long it is going to take...is there nobody else using a PS/2 mouse?
not since ~2002, no
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

learn_more wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:55 pm not since ~2002, no
I always thought USB-mice are not supported in ReactOS. How do you work. I can't even close a window using keyboard-commands...
learn_more
Developer

Post by learn_more »

Setjhaba wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:59 pm
learn_more wrote: Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:55 pm not since ~2002, no
I always thought USB-mice are not supported in ReactOS. How do you work. I can't even close a window using keyboard-commands...
My usb mouse works fine in vmware.
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

hbelusca wrote: Tue Jan 05, 2021 6:14 pm If older ROS versions used to work on the very same computer, it would be interesting for you to do some regression testing in order to find when exactly things started to not work.
The last version producing a rebootable system with mouse-support is 0.3.13. Later versions only produce BSODs and boot-/installation-arrests.
I could get 0.4.11 to run but the mouse could not be detected any more. It doesn't even show up in the hardware manager.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

I would like to obtain a debug log of the most recent revision proved to be working, usually there are almost any answer to hardware failures.

If your machine doesn't has serial port, could you try to debug with text file by botting into ReactOS and then inmediately doing a clean shutdown (possible with the keyboard) then booting a live linux to extract the file, you could post it in pastebin to analyze it
Setjhaba

Post by Setjhaba »

Three questions:
What about the serial-port?
Booting in standard ReactOS or debug-mode?
Could you please specify the TXT-file (name and location)?

Sorry for asking those questions, but I am no developer.
oldman

Post by oldman »

Have a read of this Layman's guide. It should give you all the information you require.
Should you resort to using ReactOS (log file) mode, the debug log will be found in C:\reactos.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.