Opening hive file failed! (after successful installation)

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

yotoprules

Opening hive file failed! (after successful installation)

Post by yotoprules »

Hi,
I have an old Samsung V25 laptop, which has a 2002 pentium 4 2.8ghz, 512mb ram, 40gb ide hdd, and intel 82845g chipset.
I am able to successfully install ReactOS using the bootcd, but when I try to choose an option from the boot menu, it will fail to load, saying:
"Opening hive file failed"
Interestingly, if I choose the "RAM disk" option, it will say "Failed to load RAM disk file 'reactos.img' which suggests maybe the bootloader can't read any files from the disk?
I have tried full formatting the disk using FAT and BTRFS and both have the same outcome.
Using this version: "0.4.15-dev-1336-gd6d5cae"
Thank you
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Opening hive file failed! (after successful installation)

Post by hbelusca »

The "Ramdisk" boot item menu is a template, where you have yourself to manually change the file name and provide a RAM raw disk image file.
yotoprules

Post by yotoprules »

hbelusca wrote: Mon Nov 16, 2020 10:34 pm The "Ramdisk" boot item menu is a template, where you have yourself to manually change the file name and provide a RAM raw disk image file.
I see, I don't really care about that option anyway.

I have also tested it on another early XP era laptop, Clevo D410s, Celeron 2.4ghz but it can't find the HDD.
Also tested it on a late XP era laptop (Dell Inspiron 1300, Celeron M 1.6ghz, 2gb RAM, 40gb IDE) and it does exactly the same problem as the Pentium 4 laptop. Installs perfectly fine, can't open the hive file.
oldman

Post by oldman »

If you can boot ReactOS in one of the modes, then open C:\freeldr.ini to see if the rdisk is set to 0 like so: SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS, for all the boot option you want to use.

If you are unable to boot without being stopped by the hive loading error, then have a read of this Layman's guide. It will show you what to do at boot time.

Hope that helps you.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
yotoprules

Post by yotoprules »

oldman wrote: Tue Nov 17, 2020 9:55 am If you can boot ReactOS in one of the modes, then open C:\freeldr.ini to see if the rdisk is set to 0 like so: SystemPath=multi(0)disk(0)rdisk(0)partition(1)\ReactOS, for all the boot option you want to use.

If you are unable to boot without being stopped by the hive loading error, then have a read of this Layman's guide. It will show you what to do at boot time.

Hope that helps you.
I tried editing the command in the bootloader, I now get a different error: "Importing binary hive failed!"
oldman

Post by oldman »

I would try a re-install and see if that sorts the problem.

Try the latest pre-release build ReactOS-0.4.14-RC-51-g286bfe9-iso.zip, that may work.
yotoprules

Post by yotoprules »

oldman wrote: Wed Nov 18, 2020 9:41 am I would try a re-install and see if that sorts the problem.

Try the latest pre-release build ReactOS-0.4.14-RC-51-g286bfe9-iso.zip, that may work.
The keyboard doesn't work in the setup in that version, cannot select language
EDIT: Tested on 3 different PCs. One gets stuck discovering devices, the other 2 keyboard doesn't work after booting setup
Last edited by yotoprules on Wed Nov 18, 2020 5:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
oldman

Post by oldman »

bootcd-0.4.15-dev-1336-gd6d5cae-x86-gcc-lin-dbg works for me using an HP Compaq ne6120 laptop. USB does not work, but that may change in future revisions.

So the only suggestion I can give, is to acquire a computer from the Windows XP era, or keep trying the latest revision, once every month.
yotoprules

Post by yotoprules »

oldman wrote: Thu Nov 19, 2020 3:58 pm bootcd-0.4.15-dev-1336-gd6d5cae-x86-gcc-lin-dbg works for me using an HP Compaq ne6120 laptop. USB does not work, but that may change in future revisions.

So the only suggestion I can give, is to acquire a computer from the Windows XP era, or keep trying the latest revision, once every month.
All 3 laptops are from XP era (one from 2002, 2003, and 2005) and the touchpad and keyboard or all connected internally via PS/2.
I might try the latest revision again and see if I can get it working. The nightly installs on the 2002 and 2005 laptop, but cannot boot (as you have seen) but the 2003 laptop cannot find the HDD at all so I can't even install it. All have 40gb IDE HDDs.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Forget hardware for the moment and test it in a VM, that proves the concept of ReactOS if that's what you want to do. If you are merely testing to see if ReactOS works on that hardware then you have probably done a successful test, ie. it doesn't!

In truth, having any expectations that ReactOS will successfully boot real hardware is having high expectations. It isn't ready yet, in general.

If you can find a platform others have been able to boot then follow that lead and do what they did. Alternatively just relax and wait for a while, ReactOS will boot on that hardware eventually, just not now but kudos on you for trying.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
yotoprules

Post by yotoprules »

dizt3mp3r wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 11:44 am Forget hardware for the moment and test it in a VM, that proves the concept of ReactOS if that's what you want to do. If you are merely testing to see if ReactOS works on that hardware then you have probably done a successful test, ie. it doesn't!

In truth, having any expectations that ReactOS will successfully boot real hardware is having high expectations. It isn't ready yet, in general.

If you can find a platform others have been able to boot then follow that lead and do what they did. Alternatively just relax and wait for a while, ReactOS will boot on that hardware eventually, just not now but kudos on you for trying.
I see, I just thought it would have a relatively high chance of booting since all 3 machines are from the XP era but I understand support is very limited at the moment.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

yotoprules wrote: Fri Nov 20, 2020 5:36 pm I see, I just thought it would have a relatively high chance of booting since all 3 machines are from the XP era but I understand support is very limited at the moment.
Yes, I can understand that thought but you are beginning to experience what working with an Alpha-grade o/s actually means. It means that what seems to be likely may have more pitfalls than you'd expect. Do appreciate that what worked in one release may also break in another, later version.

XP era machines are more likely to work but when you are starting with a very low level of probability then the chance isn't increased to very much. As I said, find a working config. that others have been successful booting and replicate that. The time for your machines will come, just not yet!
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
MauRaider

Post by MauRaider »

I had the same problem last night. The solution for me was to change the partition type from BTRFS to Fat during the installation. I’m running a Pentium Celeron 2 GHz with 512mb 40Gb IDE
saltbayfour

Post by saltbayfour »

bootcd-0.4.15-dev-1336-gd6d5cae-x86-gcc-lin-dbg works for me using an Del Vostro laptop. forpc