Dell Latitude D400 drivers

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

dsl25

Dell Latitude D400 drivers

Post by dsl25 »

Total newbie here!

I managed to install the OS on this laptop and everything seems to work fine except I missed the screens that were asking for drivers...

How to install drivers and where to find them?
How to install WiFi?

Thanks in advance!
binarymaster

Re: Dell Latitude D400 drivers

Post by binarymaster »

dsl25 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm I managed to install the OS on this laptop and everything seems to work fine except I missed the screens that were asking for drivers...

How to install drivers and where to find them?
How to install WiFi?
The same way as you do on Windows XP or 2003 - use Device Manager.
dsl25

Post by dsl25 »

binarymaster wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:26 pm
The same way as you do on Windows XP or 2003 - use Device Manager.
[/quote]

yeah thanks, except I didn't find a single one that works...
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

dsl25 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 3:55 pm yeah thanks, except I didn't find a single one that works...
One does not simply find the Device Manager :geek: Did you ever maintain PCs with installed Windows? That's exactly same thing here.

devmgr.png
devmgr.png (51.46 KiB) Viewed 1713 times
dsl25

Post by dsl25 »

Thanks, I've done this already and couldn't get a single one installed because I can't get a network connection to start with.
dsl25

Post by dsl25 »

To clarify: ALL driver updates I've tried with Device Manager FAILED and I don't have WLAN connection at all.
I tried all drivers I could find and absolutely no one worked.

So, thanks for the lesson on how to update but my problem is not there.

Again, is there anyone having drivers for D400 that are working?
oldman

Post by oldman »

Warning: Do not use your main computer to test/try out ReactOS.
dsl25 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm Total newbie here!

I managed to install the OS on this laptop and everything seems to work fine except I missed the screens that were asking for drivers...
I do not know how you managed to miss the driver install wizard windows. You either have to use them or cancel them. They appear in the third stage of installation, when it boots up into the desktop.
dsl25 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:58 pm How to install drivers and where to find them?
How to install WiFi?
Thanks in advance!
You need Windows XP or 2003 drivers for your laptop. A Linux livecd is handy for transferring files and could also be used to download the drivers directly to the harddrive of your laptop.

Drivers do not always work, even if you seem to have installed them. They may freeze the system, they may give a BSOD or make the system very buggy.

I have an old XP era HP Compaq laptop, which at first I could not install any drivers. I can now install the network card driver, but not by the driver's own install execute file.

If your drivers come as executables, then look in the directory where the executable unpacked the driver files, for the XP or 2003 folder, then in that folder find the inf and sys files. For example, I have a WinXP folder with b57win32.cat, b57win32.inf and b57xp32.sys files, which are the driver files for the network chip.

So if you can locate similar files, then do what I do.

Right click My Computer on the desktop, select Properties.
In Properties for System window, select the Hardware tab, then Device Manager button, then find the item you want to install the driver for and right click on it, select Update driver software, then up comes the wizard, choose Install driver from specific location. Browse for the folder with the inf and sys files in, then click the Next button. The drivers will either install or the wizard will say that it could not find any drivers.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
dsl25

Post by dsl25 »

oldman wrote: Thu Jul 30, 2020 11:49 am Warning: Do not use your main computer to test/try out ReactOS.
Many thanks for this!
Yes, sure, this is not my main computer that I'm using to test but a 17 years old one!

In fact my initial message was not accurate.
I didn't really miss them but I hit cancel as none of them was working.

Now, after multiple reboots, I get them back:
pic1.png
pic1.png (449.75 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
but they all fail:
pic2.png
pic2.png (629.14 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
So I want to the device manager and tried to update all those:
pic3.png
pic3.png (531.01 KiB) Viewed 1683 times
Luckily, the USB connection is working so I downloaded over a dozen different XP drivers from Dell (for this model D400) on a key, copied htem to C:/ and none of them installed successfully.

Errors were of different sorts but none succeeded. I even tried with the .inf files but with same results.
I connected a WLAN cable directly from my router and not getting any connection either.

Problem is also that I don't really know which drivers use as I get a bunch of them from Dell and it's not clear which ones are for this model.

That's why I was mainly asking if someone has the same model and could share his driver list.