Test of Reactos Live fails

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

coover

Test of Reactos Live fails

Post by coover »

I have an old Lenovo T440 which cannot be upgraded to Windows 10 ... apparently, the video driver (and probably others) can not be downloaded from MS (and Lenovo has no Windows 10 drivers for this machine) and installation of Win 10 ends with the black screen of death. I've tried installing with no internet and that works, but the minute you turn on the internet, it downloads a bad driver and the black screen of death appears.

Presently, I'm running Linux Mint on the machine, but I do not like Linux (though I know how to use it) and I decided to try Reactos. i downloaded the "Live" .iso and booted to it. I first booted to the "debug' version and the boot never finished. The machine (apparently) froze. i then booted the normal "Live" version and the bar indicating how far the boot was along froze about 80% of the way to finish.

I do not think I'm doing anything wrong (but am I ?) Is the machine simply not capable of running this OS? I do not want to load this over the Linux installation until I know it will work and that I want the OS.
coover

Re: Test of Reactos Live fails

Post by coover »

Whoops ... its a Lenovo T400, not the T440. I do own a T440p, also, but have no problems with Windows 10 on that one
middings

Post by middings »

coover wrote: Wed May 27, 2020 4:01 amI have an old Lenovo T440 which cannot be upgraded to Windows 10.... I decided to try Reactos. ...I downloaded the "Live" .iso and booted... to the "debug' version and the boot never finished.
Does this web page https://pcsupport.lenovo.com/us/en/solu ... 98/?cid=us correctly describe your Lenovo T440?
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi have you tried disabling Automatic Driver Downloads on windows 10
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Testing ReactOS on real hardware

Testing on real hardware is especially important as it allows us to receive feedback on ReactOS kernel and driver compatibility. However, it is VITAL that you take precautions to avoid data loss.

IF you choose to test ReactOS on real hardware then be aware that you should never do so using a computer that contains valuable data or even data that has not been backed-up elsewhere. ReactOS is an alpha-grade o/s and as such could easily damage any file system you already have loaded on that system, even if it is on another drive or on a separate partition. ReactOS file system code is as much alpha-grade as is the rest of the system. The simple rule is - just keep your valuable data away from ReactOS. Some suggest that they'd like to use ReactOS now but we strongly suggest you do NOT. By all means, test it but don't try to use it in a real-life situation other than to test it, you could do damage to your data and potentially even to the machine itself, the latter is very, very unlikely but you ought to consider it before you start testing and looking for someone to blame when things go wrong.

If you want your testing to go well then choose XP or Vista era hardware as the typical combinations of hardware from that time are more likely to work with ReactOS. Later, more modern technology is best put to use running ReactOS in a VM as it is unlikely that ReactOS will boot at the hardware level at all.

SUMMARY: Don't install ReactOS anywhere where it could adversely affect your precious belongings, data or otherwise.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.