Difference between booting Boot CD and Live CD from Ramdrive?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

petkih

Difference between booting Boot CD and Live CD from Ramdrive?

Post by petkih »

Hi

I have tried to install Reactos 0.4.13 release on three computers with no optical drive. By the results I guess that one is too new, only 8 years old.
On the remaining two I have managed to launch the Live CD from a USB stick using Ram drive boot method.
But, launching the Boot CD from the same USB stick, same setup only a different option in freeldr.ini gives me a Freeloader error at the end of Loading of Ramdrive.
And as it is not possible to install from the Live CD, I am unable to install.
I attach photos of the two error messages. They are very similar even though they are from two different computers
I have tried to use the ”Freeloader debug” option in Freeloader but could not see any difference or more information.

I have searched JIRA for similiar issues and found CORE-16367, but I do not know which version that issue is for, and it is closed by a request by the reporter but without solution / explanation.

The iso I have used to try to boot with I have also used for installing in Virtualbox which worked fine.

My options in freeldr.ini looks like this.

[Setup2]
BootType=ReactOSSetup
SystemPath=ramdisk(0)\
Options=/MININT /RDPATH=ReactOS-0.4.13.iso /RDEXPORTASCD

[Setup3]
BootType=ReactOSSetup
SystemPath=ramdisk(0)\reactos
Options=/MININT /RDPATH=ReactOS-0.4.13.iso /RDEXPORTASCD

[LiveCD]
BootType=Windows2003
SystemPath=ramdisk(0)\reactos
Options=/MININT /RDPATH=ReactOS-0.4.13-Live.iso /RDEXPORTASCD

Does anyone know why I am able to boot the Live CD iso but not the Boot CD iso in this setup?

Best regards

Peter
Attachments
IMG_20200503_191149423.jpg
IMG_20200503_191149423.jpg (500.69 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
IMG_20200501_114349611.jpg
IMG_20200501_114349611.jpg (648.66 KiB) Viewed 1801 times
binarymaster

Re: Difference between booting Boot CD and Live CD from Ramdrive?

Post by binarymaster »

Enable screen debug output in FreeLoader (via F8) to see where the assertion happened.
petkih

Post by petkih »

Thanks for trying to help.
I have tried all options using F8 without getting any more information. But as the Freeloader debug option asks for further parameters I am not sure I have given the correct ones. Also, when selecting that option, it is not in blue text when I later select to start the BootCD menu item as most of the other options are.
binarymaster

Post by binarymaster »

petkih wrote: Mon May 11, 2020 9:01 pm I have tried all options using F8 without getting any more information. But as the Freeloader debug option asks for further parameters I am not sure I have given the correct ones.
Try to ask for FreeLoader debugging help in our chat, it's more active than forum: https://chat.reactos.org/
petkih

Post by petkih »

Problem solved.
I realised I still had the iso:s for the 0.4.10, 0.4.11 and 0.4.12 boot cd's. They all worked when I booted from my USB.
So I downloaded the 0.4.13 boot cd again, and now it works.