I'm new, don't pick on me...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

wesley

I'm new, don't pick on me...

Post by wesley » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:14 am

Hey all,

I was hoping I could get some knowledge BEFORE installing, or attempting to install, ROS.

The machine is:
Thunder K-7 (2462ung)
AMD-Dual Proc. (2800 MP X 2)
266 FSB
1GB Ram
3Com 3c920 X 2-onboard
ATI Rage XL -onboard
AMD Viper South Bridge
IDG4-2 North Bridge (Winbond I/O ASIC)
Phoenix BIOS (4 MB)

I've been chomping at the bit to install ROS, but I don't want to screw it up. Any help is appreciated.

I'd like to test the OS and be helpful in any way I can. I would run/test any software you feel will be helpful to the project. I also participate in the folding@home project (folding@stanford.edu) for research, so I'd like to run that app. at the same time.

So, where to start and what to do so I don't get off on the wrong foot???

Thanks

wesley

Post by wesley » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:41 am

OK, so let me see if I can help myself a little bit.

If I want to get the latest build, I need to follow the instructions set forth in the tutorial for downloading and installing the SVN (what does that stand for), and RosBE (React oPERATING sYSTEM Building Environment).

If I want an easier way, I can download and burn to a CD/DVD the ISO contained in the repository, and install ROS from that.

Am I on the right track, yet?

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:47 am

The best to start with is probably the live cd. You can find nightly builds here.

Just burn the iso on a cdr(w), boot and see what ReactOS is like. But you will not be able to change settings (screen resolution, locale, etc). Here you will also find a bootcd, if you want to install it.
If it works and you would like to install it, you will need a free partition (I think it must be 1st partition on first hdd, but that might not be true anymore). ReactOS only supports FAT32 at the moment, ext2 will come in the near future.
Your machine is fast enough, so you can also try to install ReactOS on a virtual machine like vmware or QEMU. See links at the bottom for instructions.

If you use a prebuild setup, ReactOS will not support dual processor, but if you compile it for yourself, dual cpu should be supported.

You will probably not have any hardware supprt for your graphics card (Only GeForce works, I think) or network adapter (only Realtek and NE2000 work, but I've heard rumors somone got a 3Com card working)

Just try if it works. Maybe try to look into the wiki, you will find some info about supported hardware there.
And if something doesn't work, tell the problem, maybe someone can help.

Here are some useful links:
supported hardware
installing ReactOS - some thing may be a little outdated.
HOWTO - here you will find several howtos and step-by-step-guides.

Have fun!

wesley

Post by wesley » Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:59 am

Thank you.

Just so you know, and anyone else who would like to help me, the machine has been dormant for a year or so, I don't need it-so I'm not afraid to play-I won't need to run it under a Vm or anything. I hope. :)

I just read in the Wiki where MP is not supported. Will I get an error msg or will it just run on CPU0 or?

I have some older NE's lying around, maybe I should disable the onboard and try one of those?

Thanks again.

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Fri Apr 07, 2006 3:26 am

wesley wrote:Just so you know, and anyone else who would like to help me, the machine has been dormant for a year or so, I don't need it-so I'm not afraid to play-I won't need to run it under a Vm or anything. I hope. :)
You have this kind of machine standing around for a year? I don't dare to ask, what your main PC is. Would you like to donate it to a poor student? ;-)
wesley wrote:I just read in the Wiki where MP is not supported. Will I get an error msg or will it just run on CPU0 or?
I am not sure about that, but I think it should work (correct me if I'm wrong). And at least you can configure ReactOS for multi processor, when you compile it. And I've read about dual Pentium 3 working: here
wesley wrote:I have some older NE's lying around, maybe I should disable the onboard and try one of those?
If you find a RTL8139 based or AMD PCNET card, this might be a good idea.

GreatLord
Developer

Post by GreatLord » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:34 pm

try reactos live cd. for the chip u are using is from 1999 and is discuntine from ati I have not found any hardware info on it. if it VBE 1.2/2.0/3.0

if it fail it can be the graphic card

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Sat Apr 08, 2006 12:10 am

that's a nice pc you've got there... an AMD Athlon 64 X2? that could be the problem, 64 bit isn't supported by ROS yet. Hit isn't 64 Hit I don't know tho... good luck finding your answer then... there are probably enough devs around to tell you anyway.
-graey-

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:11 am

64 bit CPUs can run any 32 bit apps wothout any problems. ReactOS runs very well on my brothers A64 X2. Btw, you dont need to be that carefully. ReactOS is still in Alpha Stadium (I hope 0.3 will be called a Beta) so it runs not that stable like the Final Windows NT/2000/XT Versions. Being too careful could be a waste of time if it does not run on your machine anyway. Just try to install this ISO (http://svn.reactos.ru/iso/bootcd-21454-rel.rar) and you'll see. If it fails it will take ~3 minutes to reinstall ReactOS again. So mistakes arent that bad like in Windows XP. Now have fun with this great project and keep us updated, if it runs or not. :D

Nmn

Post by Nmn » Tue Apr 11, 2006 1:43 am

I have a really new and good 32bit machine and its working excellently.

I think youll do fine with it - your not going to have a problem in the world as long as you use an ATA/IDE harddrive.(Well, probably not -- I DOUBT YOU CAN RUIN YOUR HARDWARE WITH THIS)

Somebody please tell me were i can start off with driver development. I want to-- really badly-- start building drivers but i dont know how to install them efficiently... or at all. Any help is hugely appreiciating, and ill attempt at some SATA drivers if i can get my hands on the specs. Please? i have an ntfs write project, but it will be little use to me because my only ntfs partition is a test one: So i could work on them as a project together. So, if someone could point me at specs, i have those waste-of-money kits(DDK and IFS) which i havent check for examples yet so i might look.

wesley

Post by wesley » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:11 am

LOL, 2800 MP X 2 = two 2800 multi processors.

geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk » Sat Apr 15, 2006 1:44 pm

wesley wrote:LOL, 2800 MP X 2 = two 2800 multi processors.
actually, he could also mean athlon 64 x2, with a double core... but indeed, the MP part makes it look like multi processor :P
-graey-

drwook

Post by drwook » Mon Apr 17, 2006 9:04 pm

the MP's were essentially athlon xp's that AMD had 'certified' for use in smp systems IIRC

ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist » Tue Apr 18, 2006 3:18 am

drwook wrote:the MP's were essentially athlon xp's that AMD had 'certified' for use in smp systems IIRC
MPs are guaranteed to work as multiprozessor. I guess some functionality is tested and if it works, the cpu will become a MP (bridge?). My board can detect MPs: my last XP was an MP, my current one isn't. It may have been a "certified" one, wich was later sold as XP, because of MP overproduction and a lack of XP.