a few questions...

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

joejoe

a few questions...

Post by joejoe »

Hi, I have a few questions about ReactOS.

First, will I have to reformat my hard-drive to install it? If not, is there a risk my data could be lost?
Second, does directX work on ReactOS?

Thanks!
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

joejoe wrote: First, will I have to reformat my hard-drive to install it? If not, is there a risk my data could be lost?
If you want to ensure no data gets lost, use the live-cd to test ReactOS.
If you want to install ROS you need free space or a free fat partition on your hard-drive.
The only thing that you will loose is your mbr-entry, the master boot record will be replaced by freeloader.
But as I said, I reccomend you to try the live-cd.
joejoe wrote: Second, does directX work on ReactOS?
Thanks!
Maybe this is a answer for you:
GvG wrote: However, often when people talk about "hardware accelleration" they mean DirectX and refer to GDI rendering as "software rendering". The first steps to get DirectX working have been done, but it's still a long way to go. So in the DirectX sense, we don't have hardware accelleration yet.
By the way, OpenGL works...
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

Ok, thanks.
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

Dominik wrote:
joejoe wrote: First, will I have to reformat my hard-drive to install it? If not, is there a risk my data could be lost?
If you want to ensure no data gets lost, use the live-cd to test ReactOS.
If you want to install ROS you need free space or a free fat partition on your hard-drive.
The only thing that you will loose is your mbr-entry, the master boot record will be replaced by freeloader.
But as I said, I reccomend you to try the live-cd.
[/quote]
And you can also use qemu or vmware. It is pretty slow (qemu), but you can install software and change settings under qemu, wich is not possible with livecd. If you want to install ROS on real hardware, you will need a FAT32 partition or free unpartitioned space space on your hdd to install ReactOS to . And I would recommand to use a new and free partition, because ROS still crashes pretty often and data may be lost on that partition.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

Ok, I can do that. Does it have to be FAT32? Is there a risk that stuff on partion2 could be lost?
ThePhysicist
Developer

Post by ThePhysicist »

joejoe wrote:Ok, I can do that. Does it have to be FAT32?
At the moment ReactOS only supports FAT16/32. EXT2/3 will come.
Is there a risk that stuff on partion2 could be lost?
I can not garantee, but I think this is pretty unlikely. It works fine as long as reactos doesn't crash and the cache hasn't been written to disk. If you have important data on your hdd, you might want to use another hdd, just to be on the secure side. If it's only a WinXP installation without much important data (like on my 2nd PC), I would dare to try it.
If you have an IDE port free and you don't have an empty disk, ask your friends, maybe someone has an old one (few hundred MB would be enough).
If you don't want to overwrite your boot loader, you can put it to a floppy disk (you might have to try to do this several times and wait a minute in setup, because this doesn't work properly for everyone, yet, but it works after some tries.) If you use a second hdd, you can also switch your harddisks (Reactos = 1st hdd, Windows or whatever = 2nd hdd) and after isntalling ReactOS you can choose your boot device (1st hdd = ROS, 2nd = win) in bios setup. This works for me without any problem, not even neccesary to change anything in the Windows installation.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

OK. What are the system reqerments?
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

joejoe wrote:OK. What are the system reqerments?
Please check out:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/I ... quirements
joejoe

thanks

Post by joejoe »

Thanks. I'm going to try to install it on my old computer before I install it on my new computer.
Matthias

Post by Matthias »

ThePhysicist wrote: It is pretty slow (qemu)
If you install the qemu accelerator module (also referred to as kqemu) you'll gain a lot of speed. Also, the recent cvs versions of qemu and the newer beta versions of kqemu are *much* faster than they were before (about as fast as VMware). That is because the current development versions of qemu virtualize *all* code (ring 0 and ring 3, e. g. user and kernel mode) instead of just user mode code.
joejoe

Post by joejoe »

OK, sounds good. What's the difference betwen LiveCD and ISB(I think...)?