Okay so I have a bootable install CD...more questions

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Goldfish!

Okay so I have a bootable install CD...more questions

Post by Goldfish! » Fri Mar 24, 2006 6:49 am

It seems from reading the forums and WIKI's that just installing NT compat drivers isn't enough at this point in ReactOS development. You have to edit the registry some (AND I LOATHE REGISTRY EDITING). However most the topics though mention importing a good NT4 registry into ReactOs.

How successful is this usually? How much manual regedit-ing (something I personally equate with vomiting while having a fierce case of the runs and having nails jammed in your soft bits) will I have to do with a good NT4 registry imported into ReactOS?

Be honest....because I like ReactOS and have been a big time fan of it for some almost 3 years now. I don't want to get frustrated with it my first machine build out by having to fugg with the configuration on the OS level too much. That is what soured me on Lin-Sux long ago. ReactOS is a much better plan than any flavor of Lin-Sux that any Penguinhead ever dreamed of. If I'm gonna have to piss and moan too much to get ReactOS into a hardware environment at this stage of development then I'd rather wait than spoil ReactOS for myself.

Thanks for any input or advice!

PS: I am planning on dual booting with a fully configured NT4 on a partitioned fat16 disk if that helps any. Oh and it's a really frankensteined out Compaq We-Are-Sorry-Ya'll 5414. Motherboard / onboards/ and AMD processor originals (though overclocked...yeah I said so beeeyotch!). Only add ons at this point are RAM and generic Intel driveable NIC's (US Robotic's-plug and play from NT5 and on).

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Fri Mar 24, 2006 12:59 pm

I think it very much depends on what drivers you are tying to install. I think some drivers are installed by coping the inf file and the other driver files to the appropriate places and letting the plug-and-play manager do the rest.

the inf in c:\reactos\inf and the others in c:\reactos\system32 I think. I think driver support is significantly more limited than application compatibility at this stage

Goldfish!

Post by Goldfish! » Sat Mar 25, 2006 6:45 am

Yeah application compatibility works all right. I've already seen that running and editing the preloaded VM Ware stuff for a few years. But that's emulation off a known standard....not too hard to compile up.

I want to see ReactOS on real hardware.

Again guys any idea how much head butting I'm going to have to do if I install ReactOS on a hardware platform?
'There is no love between us anymore....'

Matthias

Re: Okay so I have a bootable install CD...more questions

Post by Matthias » Sat Mar 25, 2006 1:28 pm

Goldfish! wrote:That is what soured me on Lin-Sux long ago. ReactOS is a much better plan than any flavor of Lin-Sux that any Penguinhead ever dreamed of.
Shut the fuck up talking about stuff you don't understand. :x :evil:

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Sat Mar 25, 2006 3:39 pm

Matthias wrote:
Goldfish! wrote:That is what soured me on Lin-Sux long ago. ReactOS is a much better plan than any flavor of Lin-Sux that any Penguinhead ever dreamed of.
Shut the fuck up talking about stuff you don't understand. :x :evil:
Hay, calm down, no need for that you can like linux if you like, there plenty of "MS" and "Windows" around can't you take a little "lin-sux"?

I guess Goldfish! just wants an OS with a proper interface (I don't mean text with syntax highlighting) that you don't have to touch the low level stuff just to make it work and I tend to agree with Goldfish!.

However, at this stage I think you may still have to do a bit of "headbutting" to get a lot of drivers to work for your real hardware at this stage. It should be fairly easy to get it to boot and do the basics, just to get the propper drivers for all your hardware might not be so easy.

We could do with somebody that has tried some real hardware latly to coment here, anybody?

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Sat Mar 25, 2006 4:31 pm

Mrkaras wrote:I guess Goldfish! just wants an OS with a proper interface (I don't mean text with syntax highlighting) that you don't have to touch the low level stuff just to make it work and I tend to agree with Goldfish!.
So what? Suse or Ubuntu Linux is easier to install and use than Windows. what pisses me of is that goldfish just has no clue about linux, but he thinks he has the right to call me a penguinhead!
And, btw: those who don't know UNIX are condemned to reinvent it...poorly ;)

Ged
Developer

Post by Ged » Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:49 pm

Goldfish has every right to express his views about an operating system he does or doesn't like.

You have no right in this forum to post the way you did.
Please refrain from using this sort aggression in future.

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:18 am

ged wrote:Goldfish has every right to express his views about an operating system he does or doesn't like.
He certainly doesn't have the right to insult its users (e. g. me) and developers though. and the way he talks about linux makes it obyious that he doesn't know what it's all about.

Goldfish!

Matthias

Post by Goldfish! » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:15 am

I am in awe with people patient enough to make Linux and the muddy software available out there for it work for them as a platform. Penguinhead is a compliment (and as far as Linux goes I'm a SuSE fan too...just been almost three years since I messed with anything Linux).

I'm all about standards. Like how they did it or not, Microshaft did force quite a bit of standards into software development years and years ago. You really can't say the same for the Linux community. Someone there will come up with the bestest idea for a piece of software but because the developer thinks they have a better idea of how 'things should work' it takes each user who wants to use it months to figure out the interface.

I learned more about networking and network administration working for a server co-host running Red Hat platforms than I ever learned off any MS Network geek. I'll always owe my CNE to those guys.

ged is right. I don't mind troubleshooting or tinkering, but at some point it becomes downright absurd for Linux distributuions to promise an out of the box experience like they have for years. It is fine for people like you and me who can and do tinker but it sucks for joe user. I cringe every time some ill educated user tries to seem smart and asks some kind of 'What about Linux...' type question.

I like ReactOs because it supports:

1) Open Source (more rapid and creative development)

2) Standards (Win / NT Kernel compatability - Plus a huge well documented/standardized software library)

3) Free (or at least somehow more fair than Microshaft's current Licensing and Development costs. It shouldn't cost money just to plain use your PC in my opinion)

======================

Peeeece Matthias...again I have respect for people who can make Linux work for them (and others). It's just never been a workable platform for me (personally or work-wise) :D
Last edited by Goldfish! on Sun Mar 26, 2006 6:09 am, edited 3 times in total.

Goldfish!

PS: Matthias

Post by Goldfish! » Sun Mar 26, 2006 5:24 am

When you are done being so pissed off at me for thinking I was being an asshole....you seem pretty well versed. Can you offer any advice on my original post / question?

Thanks!

Pharaoh_Atem

Post by Pharaoh_Atem » Sun Mar 26, 2006 8:37 am

I have had very successful imports of NT4 registry hives into ReactOS, and everything worked fine and unimplemented parts just sat there, no errors, nada... Hopefully this helps ;)

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Sun Mar 26, 2006 3:36 pm

Below are links to the registry entries needed for certain types of hardware:
http://www.reactos.org/wiki/index.php/ReactOS_Drivers
Goldfish! wrote:Like how they did it or not, Microshaft did force quite a bit of standards into software development years and years ago. You really can't say the same for the Linux community.
That's not true. What they did was invent all kinds of proprietary interfaces (such as the Win32 API) instead of using the ones that were there already (such as POSIX which is used by Linux and all flavours of BSD and System V UNIX). When they adopted existing standards, they did their best to not implement them properly and make their implementations incompatible with others (MS' Java was incompatible with Sun's, IE doesn't know the first thing about HTML, CSS and HTTP). Also, standards are usually made by independant consortiums like ISO, IEEE, W3C, RfC etc. and not by individual firms (then being proprietary).