txtsetup.sif questions

Post by oldman »

[SetupData]
DefaultPath = \ReactOS
OsLoadOptions = "/NOGUIBOOT /NODEBUG"
DbgOsLoadOptions = "/NOGUIBOOT /KDSERIAL /DEBUGPORT=COM1 /FIRSTCHANCE"
;DbgOsLoadOptions = "/SOS /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN"
;DbgOsLoadOptions = "/NOGUIBOOT /DEBUGPORT=BOCHS"

1. What does /SOS stand for in the above SetupData from txtsetup.sif?

2. And, would this work DbgOsLoadOptions = "/NOGUIBOOT /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN /FIRSTCHANCE" if all the other DbgOsLoadOptions were commented out?
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: txtsetup.sif questions

Post by hbelusca »

1. "/SOS" : It will display the list of drivers that are being loaded on screen. But in your example, because the screen is also used for outputting the debug log, you will see instead the debugging text.

2. Yes it should. /NOGUIBOOT disables the bootlogo, while /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN will use the screen to display the stuff. I'm still wondering how the screen mode transition will work however, because the debug screen uses graphics VGA while the usetup uses a custom text-mode setup, and I remember that somewhere we "assume" that the screen mode has already been set "correctly" by freeldr...
oldman

Re: txtsetup.sif questions

Post by oldman »

hbelusca wrote: Tue Jan 01, 2019 3:19 pm ... while /DEBUGPORT=SCREEN will use the screen to display the stuff. I'm still wondering how the screen mode transition will work however, because the debug screen uses graphics VGA while the usetup uses a custom text-mode setup, and I remember that somewhere we "assume" that the screen mode has already been set "correctly" by freeldr...
I have already run in 'debug to screen' in first stage and I have experienced odd rows with coloured background, also odd rows with text that is clipped (top 2 pixels missing). But on the whole it is readable.

I have tried again with a newer version and I have not experienced any of the above problems.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.