ReactOS freezing during copying files

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

onestop_mid

ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by onestop_mid »

I have an eMachines e627 with 4GB ram and a 256GB SSD (SATA w/ IDE mode) and ReactOS installs fine up until 3-4% copying files depending on the time I boot it. I've tried it twice and the first time it froze at 4% copying a wine-gecko .msi thing, 2nd time froze at 3% at btrfs.sys. I entered through most of the install except set HDD to BTRFS. Help?

EDIT: Install freezes at btrfs.sys since the last test, about 3 more. Please help.
oldman

Re: ReactOS freezing during copying files

Post by oldman »

You can choose not to down-load Wine Gecko; you can run ReactOS without it.

The BTRFS driver was updated to the latest one, yesterday, so down load the latest build and re-test.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Whats happens if you leave the file system on FAT as the default is?
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

EmuandCo wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 5:46 pm Whats happens if you leave the file system on FAT as the default is?
Freezes at BTRFS.sys, still.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Hmmm... thats interesting... This device does not happen to have a serial port? https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

It's a laptop; no serial port.
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

karlexceed wrote: Mon Dec 17, 2018 11:42 pm It's a laptop; no serial port.
How can I help, then?
karlexceed

Post by karlexceed »

How are you installing ROS? CD? Does that same CD work to install in say, a VM? (Is it a problem with the disc?)

Can you install a different OS via CD to that laptop? (Is it a problem with the CD drive?)

If you have a spare drive around, does it work if you install to a normal HDD rather than an SSD? (Is it a problem with the SSD?)

My suspicion is something to do with the SSD, but I have no evidence to back that up. Unfortunately, the lack of a serial port makes debugging hardware mostly guesswork.
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

karlexceed wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 6:01 pm How are you installing ROS? CD? Does that same CD work to install in say, a VM? (Is it a problem with the disc?)

Can you install a different OS via CD to that laptop? (Is it a problem with the CD drive?)

If you have a spare drive around, does it work if you install to a normal HDD rather than an SSD? (Is it a problem with the SSD?)

My suspicion is something to do with the SSD, but I have no evidence to back that up. Unfortunately, the lack of a serial port makes debugging hardware mostly guesswork.
CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.
Illen

Post by Illen »

onestop_mid wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.
I assume you have tested that CD in a VM from the same optical drive, is that correct? Because to me, it sounds like a faulty optical drive or a CD/DVD itself.
onestop_mid

Post by onestop_mid »

Illen wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 11:56 am
onestop_mid wrote: Wed Dec 19, 2018 4:01 am CD is perfectly fine in VMware 15 Player, SSD is known to be good as I had a Windows 10, Lubuntu, and Windows 7 triple boot on it a while ago.
I assume you have tested that CD in a VM from the same optical drive, is that correct? Because to me, it sounds like a faulty optical drive or a CD/DVD itself.
The CD was tested in a different computer, and using VMware I booted the VM from the CD and it installed in under 5 minutes, perfect installation, but the laptop's optical drive is also known to be good, as I installed Windows 7 using it. The issue is with ReactOS and I would like to know if there are any possible BIOS settings I can change, and I can make a list of ones I can change if needed.
ioferreira

Post by ioferreira »

I had the same problem (when installing on an Intel SE440BX2 motherboard with Pentium 3 500 MHz and 384 RAM memory), but what totally solved it for me was unplugging the USB mouse during installation and choosing full FAT formatting during installation. the installation steps (every time the installation froze, I had chosen quick format). The entire installation ran perfectly fine in Brazilian Portuguese.