Is ReactOS legal?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Sat Apr 22, 2006 6:01 am

Why not make a apple mac clone instead?
macs are crap like os2
But the GUI cloned in Win9x and later is actually very much similar (almost the same) as the GUI used in first Macintoshes back in the eighties (and laters of course).
i dont see how that can be true i have used mac os 7.5.3 you can get it from the apple ftp http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Su ... ion_7.5.3/
no i do not have a mac i use BasiliskII
IBM was stupid and that is why OS/2 failed.
yes and no have you use os2 to i have and i canot use it is crap
Reactos is shutdowning operations in the USA due to software patents and other legal limitations.
cool ReactOS is getting out of the house of ms

reactux

Post by reactux » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:19 pm

MadWolf wrote:
Why not make a apple mac clone instead?
macs are crap like os2
Free software is about choice...
they want to make some aple compatibility layer without cloning aqua...
let them do it...you are free not to use it

MadWolf

Post by MadWolf » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:05 pm

hi
that just seems a bit of a waste of time with ReactOS being in Alpha and if it is done i hope they implement a uninstaller for mac programs

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:58 pm

i think what you want to say is that some features such as fat will be disabled
Well, I don't exactly think that's fair. Linux can access FAT partitions, so why can't ReactOS? I still use FAT all the time because it is very simple and can be read by just about anything. I think that at the least you should have a separate FAT IFS package that at least allows read-only access to FAT partitions. However, I would prefer to use ReactOS on a FAT partition, and be able to read NTFS drives.

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sat Apr 22, 2006 11:44 pm

I hate to keep bringing this up, but I've been doing some research. What do you have to say about this?

http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20040930-4259.html

reactux

Post by reactux » Sun Apr 23, 2006 1:52 am

wow...

but don't worry
if evry one respect the copyright and trademark law nobody respect the patent law

jpeg,divx,mp3..there are a lot of patents...
in case pf problems we have our own format such as ogg and theora

The problem is that sometimes we have problems with patents...

The problem is more a national problem than a problem that the users must fear

what i want to say is that software patents are very bad(more than you can think)
but stoping developing free software isn't an option
so we keep developing free software trying to avoid patents,but at the same time we provide features to user knowingly relying on patents(that is problematic because it has a more important penality) and we also develop alternative format that are not covered by patents

The main problem is that an economy depends a lot on the small buisness companies,that is what makes the dynamism of the economy of a country
and so it dose a HUGE economical damage because it disfavor small companies and prevent inovations...
And that isn't aceptable
It is also a threat for free software...specialy in some cases where monopolistic position,standards.Interoperability and reverse engenerring are used

the stallman speach isn't just a comon stallman speach
it describe very well the situation,and he doesn't focus only on free software...

mabe US doesn't want patent anymore? mabe that's why they revoques the fat licence?

Goldfish!

Post by Goldfish! » Tue Apr 25, 2006 5:05 am

Reactos actually 'supports' FAT and FAT32 but doesn't run well off it...trust me I have tried and it doesn't take a bootloader well. It seems Reactos' native and 'friendly' OS at this point is VFAT off DRDOS.

You can't patent a file system or stop other file systems from making compatability. Reactos just isn't quite 'down with that' yet. Hell SAMBA's been around even before Microsoft knew what the hell it wanted to do with networking. You can't stop someone from trying to be compatable and if MS even dared try (and they have) far enough THEN they would really be in for the lawsuit of their life.

As dumbed down as Microsoft plays their OS'es and Software to be...no they just are not that stupid or vain.
'There is no love between us anymore....'