Is ReactOS legal?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

LMH1

Is ReactOS legal?

Post by LMH1 » Sat Mar 04, 2006 9:51 pm

Microsoft have Copyrights fat file system and Payes ReactOS operating system to microsoft becase a have law to use it?

Do you think microsoft well sue ReactOS becase ReactOS is very look like microsoft windows 95 if ReactOS user fat and look like windows OS?

Why not make a apple mac clone instead?

Matthias

Post by Matthias » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:22 pm

Why should anybody care to clone Macintoshes, if there's so much more software for Windows?
FAT itself isn't copyrighted, Microsofts implementation is, but ReactOS has it's own implementation. Some parts of FAT are patented, but those aren't very important and ext2 almost works, so ReactOS could switch easily. ReactOS' Design is very similar to Windows', but it'd be a snap to make it look a bit different and it wouldn't make sense for MS to sue ReactOS for the design.
I think you should learn to write properly before posting stuff in forums...

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Mon Mar 06, 2006 12:12 pm

Linuxes try too look like windows (thouh not nearly as functional) and they have fat support (maby even ntfs eventualy) and they are still around.
Though I have no experience with apple I beleve they look like windows also.
I we did make an apple clone, why would apple be any less likely to sue reactos than microsoft is now?

One day reactos may even run on macs. (very long time yet)

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Mon Mar 13, 2006 1:39 am

If Bill's lawyers haven't found anything illegal or infringing about Linux, then they aren't going to find any problems with ReactOS.

I think the main issue is that Open Source projects are hard to bully. If ReactOS was being done in secret by a particular company with closed source, then one phone call from MS lawyers would probably be sufficient to shut them down. In the case of open souce, exactly who would MS sue?

Even if Bill sued all the developers (not likely) and they all quit, the source is still out there for other developers to pick up where they left off. In fact, the backlash of such a lawsuit would probably enrage enough developers that there would be even more of them working on it.

As such, even if Bill did have a legal leg to stand on (he doesn't), would would be really foolish to try to shut down an open source project.

Dennis.

Illusionist

Post by Illusionist » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:36 am

Mrkaras wrote:Linuxes try too look like windows (thouh not nearly as functional)
Some of the Linuxes. If you mean of GUI look-alikes, MS didn't write the GUI by themselves... They actually reverse engineered it.
First roots of desktop computing comes from Xerox and it's famous PARC (Palo Alto Research Centre). But the GUI cloned in Win9x and later is actually very much similar (almost the same) as the GUI used in first Macintoshes back in the eighties (and laters of course).

Linux is an OS by it's own. It's not Windows like. It's Unix like... That's why it works different and you actually can't make such parallels. Especially that line about functionality.
Mrkaras wrote:and they have fat support (maby even ntfs eventualy) and they are still around.
Not "eventually". Linux has a fully functional read-only driver for NTFS. There is even a project of using Microsoft's NTFS driver for full read/write access. But talking about file systems support, Linux has the support for numerous file formats (some fully functionaly, others on the road to become). Something that will ReactOS also have in future (as I am informed :)).
Mrkaras wrote:Though I have no experience with apple I beleve they look like windows also.
Just opposite. ;) Windows is MacOS look-alike.

Mrkaras

Post by Mrkaras » Mon Mar 13, 2006 12:53 pm

I sopose i mean everybody copies off each other, why can't/shouldn't reactos. sonner or later one of the other OSs will probably even copy some idea from reactos.

I realise there is a read-only ntfs driver for linux and i think it has very limited write capability also, read-only does not constituet NTFS support but getting closer.

n4mwd

Post by n4mwd » Mon Mar 13, 2006 2:05 pm

If you are looking for NT/ReactOS volume compatability, why not just get an ext2 driver for Windows? The ext2 file system has about 90% of the capability of the NTFS filesystem. Does anybody really need the other 10%?

As far as copying code, I know a good bit of MS Windows came staight out of OS/2 source. Originally, IBM and MS were both working on OS/2, then they split up. However, MS had spies at IBM AFTER the split that illegally transferred a lot of the IBM proprietary code from OS/2 into MS Windows. Ironically, this was with the full knowledge and consent by IBM. IBM was stupid and that is why OS/2 failed. This is why MS Windows will never be open source and you won't see any of it turned over as a result of a court order. If they did, then someone at IBM might notice that it looks very familiar.

If MS was to raise the accusation that ReactOS copied their code, then they would have to provide the court with *their* code as well and someone else would have to examine both sets of code to determine if there was any copying. Since MS isn't going to make their code available to anyone, ReactOS is really free to do anything they wan't as long as it isn't blatently obvious.

Dennis.

reactux

Re: Is ReactOS legal?

Post by reactux » Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:50 pm

LMH1 wrote:Microsoft have Copyrights fat file system and Payes ReactOS operating system to microsoft becase a have law to use it?

Do you think microsoft well sue ReactOS becase ReactOS is very look like microsoft windows 95 if ReactOS user fat and look like windows OS?

Why not make a apple mac clone instead?
the problems are for people living in US not in norway

is's because of patents
microsoft has patent on FAT
they can't use it against linux because if they do IBM have patents that can prevent microsoft from shipping their OS...

but i don't know if this would aply for reactOS
but there are others filesystems planed for reactOS

oiaohm

Post by oiaohm » Fri Apr 21, 2006 3:38 am

Reactos is moving out of reach of USA software patents.

Reactos is shutdowning operations in the USA due to software patents and other legal limitations.

USA people how many companys are leaving the USA due to the patent laws and moving to a country were they don't have to give a rat's.

Other question is how many Opensource project have left. Moving central point of operation is not that hard for a Opensource project. Lot simper than comerical companys.

Stead

Post by Stead » Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:51 pm

just a thought...is it just me or does microsoft remind anyone else of america..

they seem to have similuar goals, take over the world! and make everyone agree what they say is law :shock:

reactux

Post by reactux » Sat Apr 22, 2006 2:41 am

Stead wrote:just a thought...is it just me or does microsoft remind anyone else of america..

they seem to have similuar goals, take over the world! and make everyone agree what they say is law :shock:
that's a law problem
if the law permit them to make people abide to all they say it's a law problem

problem are:
*DCMA
*Patents

trademark and copyright aren't problems

by the way i think that patent are a an enormous problem and for me the DRM isn't the most inportant thing inside the GPLv3 it's patents...
For example a lot of companies use others licence and consider seriously switching to gplv3,mabe it's for such reasons...
the clause is limited and only say that if you use your patented technology inside your gplv3 code you must:
*if you are the owner of the patent: give the right to the others to use it inside free software(it's something similar)
*if you have a cross-licencing agreement give the same protection as you have

if you are interested by the problem there is a speech in ogg(audio) theora(video)
http://free-electrons.com/pub/video/fos ... atents.ogg
most of gpl mediaplayers such as xine,mplayer,vlc(avaliable on windows) should be able to read it

copyright law is ALWAYS respected by open-source and free software people
but EVRYONE break a US patent...(unless you don't use any electronic device that has software)
if you USE windows you break a patent(the user CAN be sued for USING a vendor's aplication that break a patent)

by the way:
intelectual property = copyright + trademark + patents

and also:
DCMA makes to much problems to the us economy while it doesn't prevent people from downloading illegaly things
the illeal download even augmented from 30%
so us is considering removing the DCMA
Europe is also considering removing the EUCD

france is passing the DAVDSI law that is worse than the DCMA and EUCD

reactux

Post by reactux » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:17 am

Matthias wrote:Why should anybody care to clone Macintoshes, if there's so much more software for Windows?
do you know GNUstep?
i haven't tryed it but some gnustep developers have told me that you only need to recompile the apps in order to run on GNUstep

there is also GNU/darwin

if the apps were binary compatible that would be very interesting
knowing that apps are now avaliable for x86,if you don't need anymore to recompile that would permit you to run some osX apps

i don't know the details behind any mac-osX port but mabe there are just unix port with their carbon or cooca api and if so mabe there are better than wine apps

Coviti

Post by Coviti » Sat Apr 22, 2006 3:52 am

Reactos is shutdowning operations in the USA due to software patents and other legal limitations.
This is outrageous! If this is really happening, which I question, THAT IS SO UNFAIR TO THE PEOPLE IN THE US! I live in the US, and have been following ReactOS for the last several months. I will be so dang mad if this is even considered as an option!

I personally don't see any patent restrictions which cannot be overcome with a little work. DO NOT ABANDON THE U.S.!!! We're sick of MS too!

Harteex

Post by Harteex » Sat Apr 22, 2006 4:49 am

Coviti wrote:
This is outrageous! If this is really happening, which I question, THAT IS SO UNFAIR TO THE PEOPLE IN THE US! I live in the US, and have been following ReactOS for the last several months. I will be so dang mad if this is even considered as an option!

I personally don't see any patent restrictions which cannot be overcome with a little work. DO NOT ABANDON THE U.S.!!! We're sick of MS too!
I believe it will be easy to keep it legal in the US by either giving out a separate ROS release without patented features or by simply disable patented code if the user choose US as country in the setup.

But afaik, ROS will be kept free from patents so you can be calm :P

reactux

Post by reactux » Sat Apr 22, 2006 5:06 am

Harteex wrote:
Coviti wrote:

I believe it will be easy to keep it legal in the US by either giving out a separate ROS release without patented features or by simply disable patented code if the user choose US as country in the setup.

But afaik, ROS will be kept free from patents so you can be calm :P
i think what you want to say is that some features such as fat will be disabled

because you can't avoid patents...
there are realy a lot of patents and inside the code you have thousands of patented ideas...