ReactOS on an IBM Palmtop PC110?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

ReactOS on an IBM Palmtop PC110?

Post by tomleem »

h[url]ttp://www.basterfield.com/pc110/pc110idx.htm[/url]
Could one - potentially - run ReactOS on an IBM Palmtop PC110? I am still searching for one.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
I think it is neat since it can run different operating systems.
:geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
dizt3mp3r

Re: ReactOS on an IBM Palmtop PC110?

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I very much doubt it. 486 processor.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Will not start on a 486, true that.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

They were fun little devices when they came out, if I remember rightly there was a tiny Compaq that had similar specs.
Unfortunately the small screen size was the device's achilles heel.

They weren't powerful machines, storage was small as you'd expect and so they could do anything as long as you didn't want them to do much nor do it very well.

If I were you I would look at running Reactos on a more modern small device running virtualbox or similar. Plenty of small form, Intel Atom devices around.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
ercanersoy

Post by ercanersoy »

ReactOS on 80486. It's well for old computers.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Reactos does not work on 486. Even if it would it would not run any modern apps at all.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Konata

Post by Konata »

I really dislike the philosophy that ReactOS is only good for putting a semi-modern Windows on ancient, useless computers. It makes it sound like that's all it's good for, when in reality it's becoming a viable replacement for Windows in general. It doesn't and shouldn't need to focus on old hardware.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Indeed, thats why 486 and older was dumped years ago. Hard to maintain and keep alive. And useless

middings

Post by middings »

486? The Pentium II will be 20 years old in May of next year.
The Pentium 4 will be 16 years old in November of this year.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

486? I once purchased a top of the line 33mhz 80386 with a EGA graphics card, 640kb RAM, 40mb hard disc, and 8mb of extended RAM (2 x 4mb cards) for 11,500 GBP.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

In theory I understand the reuse old PCs idea thx to my job and all the discussion with customers telling me that the pcs they use are still the world's best. (10yrs old ones...) But only in theory. This idea has one big flaw. You reuse old crappy stuff worth 0 €, fight with it 6 hrs / 96€ to make it do what you want and a week later all is suddently dead. That's a economical desaster and we don't support this, sry for that. Buy a newer PC and be happy with it. Anything older than a PII is of NO use anymore. (And that's a very tolerant opinion)

middings

Post by middings »

My feelings about old hardware are similar to EmuandCo's.

While the ReactOS compatibility target is NT5.2, I see no reason for the ReactOS Project to make extra efforts to support hardware never supported by its manufacturer for running Microsoft Windows XP or Microsoft Server 2003. Microsoft never supported Windows XP on 486 and older CPUs.

Some people cannot resist a challenge. At winhistory.de some hobbyists wanted to find how low they could go and still run Microsoft Windows XP. Visit the XP Minimal-Requirement-Test page and see the hardware used to win "The Golden Sandclock Award For Extreme Waste of Time".
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

I think you have the wrong mindset due to using Microdolts (sic) bloatware for too long.
You don't need the latest hardware to run an o/s unless the o/s itself is bloated and inefficient, ReactOS proves that.

There is the occasional need to run an older o/s on interesting or unexpected hardware and it useful to know whether or not and exactly how fast (or how slow) it can run. Those demonstrations show the flexibility of XP and the practicality of installing a more modern o/s onto older low power systems. If you don't understand low power systems, their prevalence in industry then you might adopt the throw-it-away-and-upgrade-it mentality but you'd not be correct in all circumstances as that mentality might not apply.

Running ReactOS on a 486 might be a nice idea but isn't really required. Windows 3.11 was and is sufficient should anyone want a half decent windowing system. The Pentium is a good baseline form which to start support.

Once you start accepting the bloat as normal there is only one outcome - o/s and application obesity! Microbesity!

My first program was "noughts and crosses" in 1K with 9 bytes for the screen display.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

Thank you for all the replies.
:ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy