Is This A JOKE??

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

JakkHakk

Is This A JOKE??

Post by JakkHakk »

I downloaded the iso off of the site and burned it to a dvd.
Then I rebooted and tried installing and all I got was blue screens
of DEATH!! Telling me- error this and error that...

Also, they have two files to download on Distrowatch, yet NO
explanation as to the Difference and which one to download
for what system.

What is the deal here??

DELL Optiplex 760
160 SSD Intel
8 gigs mem
ATI video card
dizt3mp3r

Re: Is This A JOKE??

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Duh...

You need to engage brain at the following times:

A. Before posting.
B. Before doing anything else.

Read the information on the web page where you downloaded, read the installation notes and then take the appropriate actions. You may want to retract your post before having done that, it may save you some embarassment later.
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.
middings

Post by middings »

JakkHakk wrote:I downloaded the iso off of the site and burned it to a dvd.
Then I rebooted and tried installing and all I got was blue screens
of DEATH!! Telling me- error this and error that...
No, ReactOS is not a joke. It's alpha level software. The experience is analogous to touring an unfinished cathedral.

The zero at the start of the version number is a customary practice in the software industry to indicate that the product is still a work in progress. Software with version numbers of the form Zero Dot Small Integer usually are very unfinished products, often called alpha level software, that are for testing and experimental use only.

Your experience was distressing to read about.
DELL Optiplex 760
160 SSD Intel
8 gigs mem
ATI video card
If that was the system you tried to install ReactOS on, the solid state disk (SSD) may have contributed to the problems you experienced. At the present time, ReactOS operates best (is least unstable) on hardware that was originally sold with Microsoft Windows XP 32-bit version or Microsoft Server 2003 as factory pre-installed options.
Also, they have two files to download on Distrowatch, yet NO
explanation as to the Difference and which one to download
for what system.
Please provide a link to the exact page at DistroWatch.com that you are referring to.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

middings wrote:
JakkHakk wrote: Your experience was distressing to read about.
You are so kind and easily moved...
Skillset: VMS sysadmin 20 years, fault Tolerance, cluster, Vax, Alpha, ftSparc. DCL, QB45, VB6, NET, PHP, JS, CMS, Graphics, Project Manager, DOS, Windows admin from 1985. Quad Electronics. Classic cars & motorbikes. Artist watercolours. Historian.
Konata

Post by Konata »

JakkHakk wrote:I got was blue screens of DEATH!! Telling me- error this and error that...
Maybe those errors were trying to tell you something. You could get a debug log from your serial port and see what the issue is.
But to me it sounds like you want software that "just works". ReactOS, in it's primitive alpha state, is much more philosophical than practical. Until it's fully functional, people are mostly interested in it because it's an open source NT implementation. If all you want is Windows then use Windows.
dizt3mp3r

ReactOS more philosophical than practical

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Maybe this should be our strapline?
cirrus one

Post by cirrus one »

Reactos is not a joke it is ALPHA
and has been so back as far as 2009.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

See my signature. No reason to keep this kindergarten open at all.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes