Can't install ReactOS

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

kemperhills

Can't install ReactOS

Post by kemperhills »

I have a self-built computer with and Intel motherboard, Pentium 4 CPU and 150 GB HD. The computer is running Windows 7 Pro x 32.

I partitioned the HD with 25 GB's to install the ReactOS on and downloaded the ISO file and burned to a CD. But when I try to install the OS I get this message on boot. BOOTMGR missing.

The 25 GB partition is formatted fat32. I tried downloading from two different sites. Tried four CD's and one DVD with the same results. So what am I doing wrong. Thanks.
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Can't install ReactOS

Post by EmuandCo »

Simple. Your NTFS partition still is the main boot partition and we don't have a working NTFS bootloader yet. You can try to add it to Windows 7 Loader by chainloading using BCDEDIT. Never tried myself, but should work. http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ But first you have to boot from a Win7 CD and check the repair options for fixing the bootloader I guess.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
kemperhills

Post by kemperhills »

EmuandCo wrote:Simple. Your NTFS partition still is the main boot partition and we don't have a working NTFS bootloader yet. You can try to add it to Windows 7 Loader by chainloading using BCDEDIT. Never tried myself, but should work. http://neosmart.net/EasyBCD/ But first you have to boot from a Win7 CD and check the repair options for fixing the bootloader I guess.

Thanks, well that was my dumb mistake for the year. :D And your are right the main boot partition is NTFS. But not problem. I have seven computer's in my office and because of Microsoft's arrogance in the release of W10 I am looking for an OS to replace Windows. I have Linux on one computer already, but it won't run some programs I need without a VM, which I don't like using.

I will just load ReactOS on a computer I don't need that much, double on another, and see if I like the OS. I think I know that ReactOS is in the build/testing stage, but wonder when a finished OS might be on the market. Thanks again.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Good luck then. As you already said, it's still in alpha state. But some ppl already use it in a productive environment. So maybe you can already use it too. But do not expect too much yet ^^
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes