NTVDM Color bug

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

-Tom-

NTVDM Color bug

Post by -Tom- »

I am developing an application and I have stumbled upon a bug in the NTVDM. This is not how the colors are supposed to look, in FreeDOS and various emulators like DOSBox, DOSEmu and Win32's NTVDM it appears with the correct colors, so something is not right.
A second bug, is that a DOS Application that has Mouse Support enabled should hide ReactOS's Cursor when its over its window, currently you have a duplicated cursor, you have ReactOS's cursor and the DOS application's cursor following React's cursor and visible when moving the cursor as it lags behind.

Here are the results with ReactOS's NTVDM Subsystem:
[ external image ]

Here are the intended results in DOS PCs and various DOS Emulators:
[ external image ]

You can download the EXE used here: http://www.mediafire.com/download/7rgf7 ... ST0001.EXE

This test was done in ReactOS 0.4.1.
I am very interested in helping improve ReactOS's NTVDM as its important for an OS like this to be able to run these apps properly and I would like to know where to submit bug reports for the NTVDM subsystem so the kinks in the system get worked out.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: NTVDM Color bug

Post by hbelusca »

Hi! Glad you're playing with & testing your app on our NTVDM :) To help us easily fix this display bug, could you provide us also with the source code of your test application (no need to provide everything, just the strict minimum to be able to reproduce the problem) to help us quickly diagnose the problem? Thanks in advance!
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

For the cursor, you can manually hide it by going to the console system menu (press alt-space, or click on the titlebar icon) and select the menu item "hide mouse cursor".
-Tom-

Post by -Tom- »

There should be a mode where it automatically captures the mouse pointer and releases it when you move the mouse outside the NTVDM window, because using an NTVDM app feels unnatural this way.
As for the app, its written in (Turbo) Pascal and uses an upgraded Turbo Vision User Interface.

Code: Select all

Program Test0001;

Uses GVApp;

type

TTestApp = object(TApplication)
             end;

var App: TTestApp;

Begin
  App.Init;
  App.Run;
  App.Done;
End.
I am going to add a color changer module to the app to make debugging the color bug easy. This will let you change the colors live without re compiling the app
EDIT: Added COLORCHG.EXE which has a color palette editor module, http://www.mediafire.com/download/aj0ha ... LORCHG.EXE
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Hi! Thanks for your indications, but could you please give me the version of the TurboVision Library that was used? (btw I guess it was Graphics Vision, no?) Two days ago I did some parallel tests with Graphics Vision, with the one that I downloaded from ftp://ftp.oldskool.org/pub/simtel_msdos ... vision.zip , and I ran some (already compiled) demo exes (the ones present inthe .zip), and here are some screenshots:

[ external image ]
[ external image ]

As you can see the (default) colours for the cursor and menu/status bar is indeed white...
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

@-Tom- : Please retry with nightly build r71990.
-Tom-

Post by -Tom- »

It appears you have the Shareware version of Graphics Vision, a very old one too...
GVX has been released for free and open source on SourceForge https://sourceforge.net/projects/gvisio ... rce=navbar
Thats the GV I use: https://sourceforge.net/projects/gvisio ... rce=navbar
Issue seems fixed in latest nightly!
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

\o/
One bug less!