Boot Crash With KiSystemStartupBootStack

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

SystemCPMB

Boot Crash With KiSystemStartupBootStack

Post by SystemCPMB »

THIS ISSUE IS NOW CLOSED. THE PROBLEM CANNOT BE REPRODUCED.

THE PROBLEM APPEARS TO BE RESOLVED IN RELEASE 0.4.3.

Hello...here's what I got.

Asus P4S8X-X (2001)
Pentium 4 2400Mhz
1GB Ram
Radeon Video DVI/VGA (7500 ???)

IDE Drives
hda - cdrom
hdb - 20GB Seagate
hdc - 40GB Maxtor

Ultra133 RAID
CH1 - WD500GB
CH2,3,4 - EMPTY

So after fighting with ReactOS and finding out it really demands being on the first partition of the first drive, I was finally able to load and boot it, and it crashed on me.

Initially it just blue screened with something like:

Fatal System Error: 0x0000007e, 0xC0000005, 0x80878A70, 0xF7804918, 0xF78045A8

I figured out how to get it to list loading of drivers, and it crased after loading USBHUB.SYS, VBE.SYS, KBDCLASS.SYS

Then I found out about the screen log mode and got this kinda stuff:

../../ntoskrnl/io/iomgr/driver.c:734 ZwOpenKey() failed with Status C0000034
../../ntoskrnl/io/iomgr/driver.c:734 ZwOpenKey() failed with Status C0000034
../../drivers/usb/usbhub/fdo.c1735 Failed to retrieve number of ports
../../ntoskrnl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:682 Warning PnP Start faild ((null)) [Status: 0xC0000001
../../ntoskrnl/ps/thread.c:119 PS: Unhandled Kernel Mode Exception Pointers = 0xF7804478
../../ntoskrnl/ps/thread.c:126 PS: Code c000005 Addr 80878A70 Info0 00000000 Info1 11b23df7 Info2 00000000 Info3 B2675fd8

Fatal System Error: 0x0000007e, 0xC0000005, 0x80878A70, 0xF7804918, 0xF78045A8

Then I 'bt' enter and....

<NTOSKRNL.EXE:74111 (ntoskrl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:1361 (IopTraverseDeviceTreeNode))>

<NTOSKRNL.EXE:74126 (ntoskrl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:1375 (IopTraverseDeviceTreeNode))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:74126 (ntoskrl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:1375 (IopTraverseDeviceTreeNode))>

<NTOSKRNL.EXE:7414d (ntoskrl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:1400 (IopTraverseDeviceTreeNode))>

<NTOSKRNL.EXE:743b2 (ntoskrl/io/pnpmgr/pnpmgr.c:2718 (IopInitializePnPServices))>

<NTOSKRNL.EXE:16f7e2 (ntoskrl/io/iomgr/iomgr.c:589 (IoInitSystem))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:16acaa (ntoskrl/ex/init.c:1799 (Phase1InitializationDiscard))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:3430a (ntoskrl/ex/init.c:2013 (Phase1Initialization))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:10b454 (ntoskrl/ps/thread.c:156 (PspSystemThreadStartup))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:122209 (ntoskrl/ke/i386/thrdini.c:78 (KiThreadStartup))>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:10b41b (ntoskrl/ps/state.c:565 (NtQueueApcThread))>
<ffffffff>
<NTOSKRNL.EXE:17ccd8 (ntoskrl/ke/i386/kiinit.c:682 (KiSystemStartupBootStack))>
<0000000e>
Couldn't access memory at 0x000EB20!

I've not had any problems with this hardware with Linux or Windows XP on it, in various configurations.

Got any suggestions?

Thanks,
CB
Last edited by SystemCPMB on Sat Dec 03, 2016 7:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hbelusca
Developer

Re: Boot Crash With KiSystemStartupBootStack

Post by hbelusca »

Hi,

Posting bug reports on the forums is the wrong way of doing things, because they almost remain invisible to the developers. The correct way is to create a bug report on the bug tracker "JIRA" at https://jira.reactos.org .
To make your life a bit easier I have manually created one using the data you provided here, see CORE-11109.
I would like to know which revision of ReactOS you have tested.

Cheers,
HB.
SystemCPMB

Post by SystemCPMB »

Whoops! Sorry...been I while since I've had to do that....which is a good thing i guess...?
SystemCPMB

Post by SystemCPMB »

Unfortunately, that's all the info I can give you.

I've sent emails to others to try and access the bug report and provide a version number. I've heard nothing back.

I've recently tried to get a version number from the boot process, but my monitor is too slow or the video card isn't being initialized early enough in the boot, or something like that. Even so, the process spits out text too fast to read anything.

I've tried the Debug Screen mode and whereas when I first reported this my keyboard would still work and I could type "bt" to get the debug log, the keyboard is now getting locked out.

All I can tell you is I downloaded a zip file and unpacked it and got an iso dated February 8th 2016. However, I downloaded the zip file on April 9th 2016. Seems like there was an old build in it.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I think we can get the version from the iso name as well. If you downloaded a daily build, then it's part of the filename (e.g. bootcd-71199-dbg.7z = revision 71199), if you downloaded an official release (ReactOS-0.4.0-iso.zip), then it's most likely 0.4.0.
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Black_Fox wrote:I think we can get the version from the iso name as well. If you downloaded a daily build, then it's part of the filename (e.g. bootcd-71199-dbg.7z = revision 71199), if you downloaded an official release (ReactOS-0.4.0-iso.zip), then it's most likely 0.4.0.
Yes this is correct. Also note that when you're running ReactOS with debugging mode (with debug log), you can find the revision number at the top of the log.
middings

Post by middings »

I would like the version number of the build to appear on the (autoplay?) splash screen that appears when a ReactOS CD is inserted into a CD drive while Microsoft Windows is running. I've been trying to figure out how to modify that at .iso build time. Unfortunately I do not understand the ReactOS build tools well enough.
SystemCPMB

Post by SystemCPMB »

Well, I downloaded via the download link on the mainpage. I pretty sure it wasn't a daily build so it must be 0.4.0. Could somebody update the bug report please...I still can't get into JIRA (see other posts)

I mounted the iso and poked around and couldn't find anything stating a build or release version. Maybe the version/build should be posted in the readme.txt file on the CD's root.

I did find the "welcome.exe" in \reactos. If it's stand alone, maybe this should be on the CD's root too, and renamed setup.exe to make it a little more obvious.

Might be an idea to include a "welcome.html" file with links to bug report generation, and instructions on boot modes. I had to dig to find out how to boot to debug screen mode so I could get a boot listing.

In the meantime, I tried loading the OS to a different machine. It hung as well, but later in the boot. So I'm guessing the ISO was good and it's all hardware issues. About ready to start pulling cards and strip down to a bare rig.

Now have access to JIRA...will post there from now on.
John9871

Post by John9871 »

Thank you for posting on Community.

What is the make and model of your computer?
Have you installed latest updated drivers?
The Blue Screen error usually occurs when a serious problem causes the computer to shut down or restart unexpectedly. This type of errors usually happens when there are some driver issues on the computer. However, it might also be due to some other software/hardware reasons.
In this case, the System Thread Exception Not Handled error seems to be due to the incompatible or old graphics card drivers on the computer.

In order to fix this issue, the computer must be restarted in safe mode. Once after booting the computer in Safe Mode, you have to uninstall the incompatible graphics card driver from the Device Manager and then download and install the latest drivers from the manufacturer’s website.

Method 1: Boot the computer in Safe Mode
Safe mode is a diagnostic mode that starts your computer with limited drivers necessary to run Windows. The words Safe Mode appear in the corners of your monitor to identify which Windows mode you are using.

Step 1: Use the power button on the sign-in screen to Shift + Restart. This will take you to the recovery boot menu.
Step 2: Click Troubleshoot, Advanced options, Startup settings.

You then see a list where you can choose Safe Mode or Safe Mode with Networking (depending on whether you think you’ll need the Internet).

To know more about Safe mode, following is an article on Windows Startup Settings (including safe mode):
Method 2: Update drivers.

Step 1: Press Windows key + X key and click on Device manager.
Step 2: Search for Display Adapters.
Step 3: Right-click on the graphics card and click on Update driver software.
You may also download and install the latest graphic drivers from the manufacturer’s website.
Following is an Article on Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) 0x0000007e: REMOVED
SystemCPMB

Post by SystemCPMB »

Hi John, thanks for posting that.

Asus P4S8X-X (2001)
Pentium 4 @ 2400Mhz
1GB Ram
Radeon Video 9250 PCI 128MB 64bit DDR VGA/TVO/DVI

IDE Drives
Primary Master - 40GB Seagate
Primary Slave - dvdrom Hitachi

I tried that safe mode trick, and got a new blew screen (yes, I mean blew, not blue).

This time I got a new error

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA

stop 0x00000005 etc.....

No particular driver is listed. I Tried the debug mode to reactos (screen) and am still getting the ntoskrnl and pnpmgr io problem