Audio not working. Would like to troubleshoot further.

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

reactosfan34

Audio not working. Would like to troubleshoot further.

Post by reactosfan34 »

I have a laptop that uses the SoundMAX Integrated Digital HD Audio. ReactOS installs fine but my audio device does not show up in the device manager anywhere. If I copy the hdaudbus.sys and hdaudbus.inf from XP and install it in the device manager as the driver for the existing High Definition Audio Bus device, my SoundMAX audio device then becomes available. I then can manually install the driver for my SoundMAX device. Once I do this it says the driver installed correctly but there are still no mixers or playback devices.

I'm wondering what are the consequences of replacing the hdaudbus.sys and .inf that come with ReactOS? Would that be messing with anything? If so, is it possible to get my device to be detected by the default hdaudbus.sys and .inf? I'm not a driver expert but looking at some of the code looks like there are parts where device ids are defined? Maybe I could add mine?
EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Audio not working. Would like to troubleshoot further.

Post by EmuandCo »

HD Audio support is... non existent in ROS right now, so your idea is a good step in the right direction.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
reactosfan34

Re: Audio not working. Would like to troubleshoot further.

Post by reactosfan34 »

Darn. I would start using ReactOS on my old laptop (it runs great!) but I never realized how important having sound was until I didn't have it. Wish I could contribute more to the audio development. It's way out of my expertise though.