Freezing at blue installation screen

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Disorder

Freezing at blue installation screen

Post by Disorder »

I'm running an old PIII 300mhz cpu and when I boot from the cd the intiall installation screen loads the set up files and when it brings me to the second blue screen(the one with red lines) it freezes up and dosnt recover.

Any idea's?
ScoTTie

Post by ScoTTie »

What hardware are you using ? also does the LiveCD work ?
Disorder

Post by Disorder »

Havnt tried live cd yet

The PC is fairly old

Intel W6BXA 440BX
Intel PII 300mhz
128mb's RAM
6.5gb WD HDD
128MB NVIDIA GeForce4 MX440 AGP
Chis

Post by Chis »

I have a PC of a relatively similar spec (PII-233, a Dell Dimension D233... a relic!), and I can report that both 0.3.0 SVN and 0.2.9 release make it to the "second" installation stage, where ROS asks if you want to install or repair.

Perhaps Disorder means the point where the ROS installer switches to 80-line mode? (um, that's from hazy memory. Been a while since I played with DOS text modes) Possibly a video card issue? Old clunky version of AGP?

Disorder, have you used this old PC much? Have you ran memtest on it recently or tried installing FreeDOS, Win98 or something? Lets try and rule out any hardware problems first.
Disorder

Post by Disorder »

I havnt done a whole lot of work on it, but I do know Win98 was on there a few years ago.

I've somewhat also installed Ubuntu on it aswell.

When I ran off the live cd it went to the second screen and hung at loading cdrom drivers .sys (or somthing of that nature). At that point it hangs and even my KVM wont work until the machine is restarted.

Gonna yty it with/without KVM , and then on a second machine.
drpep

Post by drpep »

I think I have the same (or similar) problem. Install freezes up right after loading drivers (last is cdrom.sys). I've tried both install and livecd.

Specs (maybe too old): P166, 64mb ram, 2 8gb ide drives, onboard video s3 trio64v2/dx 4mb (i think)

NT4 Installed the other day without a hitch. I have a cdrw drive that i was gonna put in it eventually, maybe i'll try that and see if anything happens.... Do any other drivers load after cdrom.sys?
Retinaburn

Post by Retinaburn »

I'm getting the same problem but with an IBM HS20 Blade. We are just testing different operating systems on it, but ROS freezes on the same page the others mention. So it would appear that this doesn't only happen on older pc's. Did anyone figure out what was causing this problem?
steve941

also same

Post by steve941 »

I have a Dell Inspiron 9300 and im freezing, the last thing that loads is blue.sys, then screen refreshes and the top says "React OS 0.2.9 Release" something and other than that, entire screen is blue. I read on another area that there's no SATA support which could likely cause this, oh i did also get a message "NO APM BIOS FOUND" a few secs after i booted the CD. It wouldn't seem video(card) related, but then again the SATA issue wouldn't apply to the older computers on here. I was really looking foward to testing this too, this project has potential and liked the tour and screenshots i saw from here and OSDIR's images on 0.2.7 i think it was. Well, I'm not givin up, but if there's a solution somewhere out there, I'd like to give a try.
fmardito

Post by fmardito »

Yeah folks!!! The same problem occurs at my PC, too...
but it's not old. It's a Pentium 4 HT 630 and has a ASUS P5P800 SE (Intel 865PE chipset) mainboard, 512 Mb of RAM (Kingston working with dual channel) and a GeForce 5200 128Mb AGP.

So, I don't think that this issue is related to old machines.
To me it looks like a incompatibility with graphic cards.
As I was reading, I noticed that most of people experiencing this problem are using AGP cards.

Well... I'll try something in the next week, but I don't know what yet...
cruzades

Post by cruzades »

can't run LiveCD on P3-800E too.

it hangs on blue screen's cdrom.sys line.
klim

Post by klim »

where to get the 0.3.0 SVN were chris is talking about ?
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

unless you're prepared to build it yourself, you'll have to wait until we re-relesase the live builds.

I'm this is gonna be back online soon.
klim

Post by klim »

i've build it myself. and it is working. i was just wondering
Jaix
Moderator Team

Post by Jaix »

klim wrote:i've build it myself. and it is working. i was just wondering
there is no build iso right now, but if you have more questions, you can read this: http://www.reactos.org/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1741