Install Disk Failure, Help Please

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

SiliconSentry

Install Disk Failure, Help Please

Post by SiliconSentry » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:16 am

Hello I'm trying to get the install disk for ReactOS "ReactOS-0.3.17-REL-iso" Boot CD to work. I've tried on a VMWare server system as well as VMWare Workbench 10 Pro, and have the same issue on both systems.

I boot from CD and it does the initial load of drivers I"m assuming, where the white bar crosses the screen, then it goes to a black screen and does nothing from there.
The VMWare server is a Dell PowerEdge 2950 II. I use the "Other OS" setting both 64 and 32 bit, with 4Gig Ram and a 30Gig HDD.
The VMWare workstation is being run on an Asus G75 JH ROG laptop with an intel core i7 processor and I give VMWare the same virtual machine specs and get the same result.

I have no boot menu, I have no way of getting a debug listing, any help would be appreciated. I will continue to search the forums for answers and will update this if I have any successes.

Thank you,
SiliconSentry

hbelusca
Developer

Re: Install Disk Failure, Help Please

Post by hbelusca » Thu Nov 05, 2015 2:15 pm

Hi! Please retest with a nightly build version of ReactOS (from www.reactos.org/getbuilds); also, please retest by selecting (in the bootmenu screen) either "ReactOS (Screen)", or "ReactOS (Debug)": those options let you see debug prints (and possibly know where/when something breaks), either on the screen, or via a serial line, respectively.

justincase

Post by justincase » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:49 pm

SiliconSentry wrote:I have no boot menu, I have no way of getting a debug listing, any help would be appreciated.
hbelusca wrote:also, please retest by selecting (in the bootmenu screen) either "ReactOS (Screen)", or "ReactOS (Debug)": those options let you see debug prints (and possibly know where/when something breaks), either on the screen, or via a serial line, respectively.
As SiliconSentry said "I have no boot menu, I have no way of getting a debug listing", I would guess it's not able to boot the first stage installer, the boot menu with Debug/Screen options isn't available.
First, as hbelusca says, you should try the most recent trunk build (from http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds) (choose one that says bootcd-(revision#)-dbg.7z and extract it with 7-Zip), however, if you continue to have the same issue with the most recent trunk build, there are still a couple of options open for you.
One, seeing as you're using a virtual machine, there should be a way to either view serial output, or direct it to save to a file, or direct it to another program (e.g. PuTTY), the first stage installer automatically outputs debug information to COM1, though I'm not familiar enough with VMWare to help you set that up, then you can post that information to a report on JIRA and the developers can try to figure out what's going on.
And another, in case you can't get that one to work, you can choose the most recent livecd-(revision#)-dbg.7z file available from the same page, and when see about using the debug and/or screen options it offers when booting.
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.

hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca » Thu Nov 05, 2015 9:58 pm

justincase wrote:
SiliconSentry wrote:I have no boot menu, I have no way of getting a debug listing, any help would be appreciated.
hbelusca wrote:also, please retest by selecting (in the bootmenu screen) either "ReactOS (Screen)", or "ReactOS (Debug)": those options let you see debug prints (and possibly know where/when something breaks), either on the screen, or via a serial line, respectively.
As SiliconSentry said "I have no boot menu, I have no way of getting a debug listing", I would guess it's not able to boot the first stage installer, the boot menu with Debug/Screen options isn't available.
Ouch I'm so confused ^^ Sorry I certainly did read your post too fast and directly jump to the "white horizontal bar" which led me think you were actually at the boot splash screen (with the logo and the progress bar), while in fact you described the bootloader progress bar :cry: :cry: So yeah, the only way would be to test a most recent build; by the way when boot/live-cds boot you can get a debug log, since those are enabled by default there (they are then optional when ROS is installed), in COM1 port.

Simon

Post by Simon » Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:27 pm

I have the same problem since one or two month. I'm using VirtualBox with OS X 10.11. ReactOS shows the white load screen and then goes black without the possibility to select debug mode etc.

Simon

Post by Simon » Wed Nov 11, 2015 11:25 pm

At least seems to be fixed for me with 69875-rel.

klyxmaster

Post by klyxmaster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:22 pm

Hi
I was SOOOO EXCITED (and still am) to see a new OS out there. Im the guy that loves to try new things on my PC(s). GEOWORKS anyone? back in the 90's that came standard on some machines. I loved it bc it WASN'T windows and it was unique!!

anywyas, I digress
I am having the same issue with this black screen/stall issue.
I have no issues compiling, so I tried the ISO provided here, that did not work*, and then SVN the nighly source and compiled and that did not work. I used both the USB and DVD and both had the same negative results.
  1. boots with cd
  2. the two white bars scroll along the bottom of the screen
  3. when done the screen goes black
  4. thats where it stays.
current guinee-pig is my laptop HP 6910p 2gb RAM, dual core - that should be a perfect test subject.

any other suggestions to get this to load? I actually want it as THE OS, not a dual boot.

cheers!!

klyxmaster

Post by klyxmaster » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:08 pm

oh and I forgot to mention, I compiled REV: 69928

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Tue Nov 17, 2015 11:37 pm

Hi! It's great that you tried the latest nightly, that should have helped.

Can you try to get a debuglog and if an assertion is hit, also a backtrace, and create a JIRA issue? On realHW you either need serial port (which your notebook probably doesn't have) or boot with the option "ReactOS (Screen)" which displays the debuglog directly on the screen.

If you'd like to try ROS on your notebook from time to time, consider adding it into PC ROS Rigs page.

klyxmaster

Post by klyxmaster » Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:51 am

HI
i have no issues using different machines. I have never been a fan of vmware (not that the app is bad, I just like to experience things in realtime). You are correct, no ports. However, another downer, is that since I cannot get to a REACTOS screen, I cannot get a trace on anything. I am sure that is wehre vmware comes in (maybe not, I dont use it/have it).
But I'll keep compiling until it works, and when that time comes, i'll post it in the rig section.

Im excited about this one, as it is the only OS i am playing with that will run windows apps. Other OS's are amazing but they are proprietary, and are useless to me as a developer (example, I cannot run any type of apache server to work on webpages),.

I'll keep compiling and just use USb, as it will save on "frisbee's" LOL (anyone remember AOL)

CHEERS!!

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:50 pm

Only some of the people test in VMWare, usually we test with Virtualbox, because it's either cheaper than VMWare or more featured than VMWare Player.

There are currently issues with booting from USB, so for now I'd recommend to boot from a rewritable "frisbee" (sometimes we call them "beer coasters" here) :-)