New hardware (no XP support) will it work?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

ChrisB

New hardware (no XP support) will it work?

Post by ChrisB »

Hi all,

I've got a new HP Spectre 13 x2. Graphics is Intel 4200 which doesn't have any drivers for XP. The ethernet (wi-fi only) is Intel AC-7260 seems to not have XP drivers also. Could I get these to work in ReactOS?

thanks (and good work :))
Pi_User5

Re: New hardware (no XP support) will it work?

Post by Pi_User5 »

Probably not. Even if there was XP drivers available, the drivers would most likely not install at this time. Even if the drivers installed and worked, the wireless would be hard to configure. It can only be configured via the command line and ReactOS can only connect to a WEP network or an open network.
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
middings

Post by middings »

Thank you for your support of the ReactOS Project.

If the graphics hardware is svga and vga compatible, ReactOS will probably be able to write to the screen using its own drivers. If the keyboard connection uses USB (common for internal wiring even in laptops) then the keyboard may not work until ReactOS's USB support improves.

I doubt that ReactOS can operate the network adapter without an NT5-conformant driver from the manufacturer. ReactOS's own network adapter driver likes the Realtek 8139 chip but not much else.

Those are my guesses based on (limited) experience with ReactOS on physical hardware.
oldman

Post by oldman »

middings wrote:If the keyboard connection uses USB (common for internal wiring even in laptops) then the keyboard may not work until ReactOS's USB support improves.
I have a Dell Latitude D630 and I can run a livecd on it; the touchpad mouse works with no problems, but connecting and using an external usb mouse can be a problem (Ros does not always find things attached to a usb port). The ReactOS project has an older Dell Latitude D531 and that works with touchpad and lan, but someone posted that they had a newer Dell Latitude (newer than D630) which they were having problems with.
middings wrote:ReactOS's own network adapter driver likes the Realtek 8139 chip but not much else.
The " not much else " is a NE2000. Ros ships with RTL8139 and NE2000 drivers.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Thanks guys

Will probably have a go at it. Really don't like W7 or 8. I almost succeded in configuring wifi in Arch Linux. Both graphics and wifi have Linux drivers from Intel btw.