Has anyone gotten internet working on real hardware?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Zombiedeth

Has anyone gotten internet working on real hardware?

Post by Zombiedeth »

Is it possible to get internet working on real hardware i'm testing on livecd-66553-dbg. The nic driver appears to install ok but networking appears otherwise inoperable.

[ external image ]
oldman

Re: Has anyone gotten internet working on real hardware?

Post by oldman »

You should be able to go on the Internet from a Ros box; I have and others have also, but don't expect a smooth ride all the way!
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Pi_User5

Post by Pi_User5 »

My real hardware machine has a Realtek 8139 network card I added and it works fine!
I use ReactOS on real hardware. Will you? My Computers: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs Go all the way to the bottom.

[ external image ]
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Zombiedeth wrote:The nic driver appears to install ok but networking appears otherwise inoperable.
If you'd like to cooperate with devs on a fix, create a JIRA issue and attach (that screenshot and) debuglog since boot to desktop, there may be some driver errors hidden within.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

I would create a JIRA issue but i can't login to JIRA i don't have an account. Is there an admin or someone i can contact to resolve that?
hbelusca
Developer

Post by hbelusca »

Zombiedeth wrote:I would create a JIRA issue but i can't login to JIRA i don't have an account. Is there an admin or someone i can contact to resolve that?
Have you tried with your usual reactos account?
oldman

Post by oldman »

Zombiedeth wrote:I would create a JIRA issue but i can't login to JIRA i don't have an account. Is there an admin or someone i can contact to resolve that?
Try this: Go to the front page and log out, then log in; now go to the Jira page and see if you are now loged in, if not, try and log in. Hope this little trick helps.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

hbelusca wrote:
Have you tried with your usual reactos account?
Yes
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

oldman wrote:
Try this: Go to the front page and log out, then log in; now go to the Jira page and see if you are now loged in, if not, try and log in. Hope this little trick helps.
Thanks for the idea but i still cant login to Jira.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

"gotten" - shudders... :roll:

I do not 'have' internet working on real hardware now, though at one time I believe it did work. An Intel wireless module in an HP system, now defunct.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

I tried getting a debug.log file from the LiveCD by editing freeldr.ini to output to a HD but it didn't produce a log file. So i tried installing bootcd-66553-dbg to a HD to get a debug.log. Well it's not needed the nic worked and i was able to browse the internet, although it felt like browsing at dial-up speed. :D

[ external image ]

I'm guessing ReactOS needs a writable file system for networking to function. But it should be possible WINPE based Windows XP supports networking when booting from CD.
Zombiedeth

Post by Zombiedeth »

The problem i was having with slow browsing was because nic auto negotiation isn't working properly. It was setting the nic as 1Gb but my router only supports 10/100Mb. It's possible to manually set the SpeedDuplex setting in the registry to work around this issue.