Free Windows XP code to the Open Source Comunity!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

henry1991

Free Windows XP code to the Open Source Comunity!

Post by henry1991 »

Well, as I've said in my previous post, I want to help the project as much as I can, and therefore, there goes a change.org petition I guess developers would find interesting:

https://www.change.org/p/microsoft-open ... community#

That's right, a petition to free old XP's code as open source, I think that would be awesome, and even more for the ReactOS developers, as it'll smooth a lot the path. At least, that's my opinion, I let the decision of sign up to every one of you. I just want to help you out to make ReactOS the day to come Operating System
erkinalp

Re: Free Windows XP code to the Open Source Comunity!

Post by erkinalp »

ReactOS team will not use it even they disclose it under a suitable license.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2
Konata

Post by Konata »

If Microsoft did this, which I don't think they ever would, even with their newfound acceptance of open source, they would release it under a restrictive license something along the lines of "for educational use only; not for business use", similarly to other open source OSes they've released like CE's kernel and Singularity.
nille

Post by nille »

Konata wrote:If Microsoft did this, which I don't think they ever would, even with their newfound acceptance of open source, they would release it under a restrictive license something along the lines of "for educational use only; not for business use", similarly to other open source OSes they've released like CE's kernel and Singularity.
The Driver Framework for the Kernel and Userspace is released under MIT ;) but i doubt that a petition will help.
MadWolf

Post by MadWolf »

hi
imho never going to happen
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

It reminds me of some who tried to get IBM to open source OS/2 Warp. It did not happen. I have a feeling it won't happen with Win XP but it would be really neat to see if they would. One won't know if they don't try. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy