Hi all,

I just installed ROS v0.3.16 on a HP laptop nx6110 which has:
Intel Celeron M processor 1,4GHz
Intel 915GM graphics
SoundMax (Analog Devices AD1981B) audio
Broadcom 4401 Ehternet.
IDE disk 40GB
512MB RAM
Install was fine if choosing Standard PC, ACPI resulted in touchpad not working. Probably more, bur reinstalled as Standard PC and hasn't bothered with that yet.

Main problem now is installing drivers for graphics, audio and ethernet. All but audio hangs when browsing to drivers located on CD. Can't access USB by the way. Audio seems to get kind of installed, but when going to audio devices, it's not there, although the two services associated with SoundMax does start up. When attempting to install ethernet, laptop BSOD's. Funny thing; Thai Language pack included w graphics driver got inflated to 8GB (special characters...)
Here is debug.log

http://www.mediafire.com/view/96xh99c6w ... 0.3.16.log

I hope this info is complete and useful :)

thanks
Last edited by ChrisB on Mon Jul 21, 2014 3:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Webunny

Re: Install attempt HP nx6110

Post by Webunny »

ChrisB wrote:Hi all,

I just installed ROS v0.3.16 on a HP laptop nx6110 which has:
Intel Celeron M processor 1,4GHz
Intel 915GM graphics
SoundMax (Analog Devices AD1981B) audio
Broadcom 4401 Ehternet.
IDE disk 40GB
512MB RAM
Install was fine if choosing Standard PC, ACPI resulted in touchpad not working. Probably more, bur reinstalled as Standard PC and hasn't bothered with that yet.

Main problem now is installing drivers for graphics, audio and ethernet. All but audio hangs when browsing to drivers located on CD. Can't access USB by the way. Audio seems to get kind of installed, but when going to audio devices, it's not there, although the two services associated with SoundMax does start up. When attempting to install ethernet, laptop BSOD's. Funny thing; Thai Language pack included w graphics driver got inflated to 8GB (special characters...)
Here is debug.log

http://www.mediafire.com/view/96xh99c6wi4zjiy/debug.log

I hope this info is complete and useful :)

thanks
Feel free to put it in https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Ok, cool. I just found that 0.3.16 is considered old? Reinstalling now with bootcd-63725-rel.iso...
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

oldman

Post by oldman »

ChrisB wrote:Ok so here is the new debug.log:

http://www.mediafire.com/view/575kp4v58 ... _63725.log
You need to make a bug report in Jira!
Just follow these instructions:
1. Go to Jira - Issues.
2. Log in with your forum user name and password.
3. Click on "Create Issue".
4. Put a brief description of the problem in "Summary".
5. Put in "Environment" the revision number and state that it is in real hardware, then put the computer's hardware details.
6. In "Description" give a detailed description of the bug (how to replicate it).
7. Use the "Browse" button at "Attachment" to upload your debug log.
8. Then at the bottom of the form, click on the "Create" button.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Ok, thanks!
This:
oldman wrote:the revision number and state that it is in real hardware
I don't understand though :/
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ChrisB wrote:Ok, thanks!
This:
oldman wrote:the revision number and state that it is in real hardware
I don't understand though :/
You have to put in/type the number of the daily build you used (63725 or whatever you downloaded and tested as last build) and point out/mention it was real hardware testing (a lot of people use VM for testing).

And welcome to the select club of Real HW-testers! 8-)
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Webunny wrote: point out/mention it was real hardware testing (a lot of people use VM for testing).

Thanks! Bugreport submitted!
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ChrisB wrote:
Webunny wrote: point out/mention it was real hardware testing (a lot of people use VM for testing).

Thanks! Bugreport submitted!
Good!

Did you use the debug screen or serial (null modem) cable to get your bugreport?

btw, now that you're on the forum, feel free to vote for a wallpaper(s) here: viewtopic.php?f=25&t=13466#p110304
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Webunny wrote:Did you use the debug screen or serial (null modem) cable to get your bugreport?
I set freeldr.ini to Options=/DEBUGPORT=FILE and afterwards pulled the HDD out and put it in my desktop and just copied the file.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

ChrisB wrote:
Webunny wrote:Did you use the debug screen or serial (null modem) cable to get your bugreport?
I set freeldr.ini to Options=/DEBUGPORT=FILE and afterwards pulled the HDD out and put it in my desktop and just copied the file.
Ah, the hard way, thus. I did that once too.

It might be useful, if you plan to do further ROS-testing on real hardware, to use a null-modem serial cable, though. Less hassle. :-)
oldman

Post by oldman »

@ChrisB
Having looked at your Jira isssue and bug log, I would like to make some suggestions.

I assume that you have successfully installed ReactOS revision 63725 (you have made a typo in the report of 36725), so fire Ros up and at the start screen select Debug to file (or something like that) and get another debug log. This will start the debug log from a much earlier position then your submitted log shows, which will give the devs more info.

Your debug log also shows no sign of a BSOD! So try your touchpad and try installing your drivers again; if the computer stops reponding, type bt and hit the enter key, this then may show a backtrace in your debug log.

It is much easier with a null modem cable, you can see what is happening, and when it BSODs, which will show Kdb> at the point of the BSOD; that is where you would type bt for a backtrace.

When you make a Jira issue, I would suggest that your refer to 6**** as R6**** or Revision 6****, so there is no mistake as to what you mean.

If you do get another debug log, then (if it is different to the first one) you can add it to your Jira isssue.

If I have made any wrong assumptions, or give any wrong advice, or the debug to log file does not work the same as debug to COM port, then someone will no doubt correct me (I am not a dev).
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Ok, I added the first debug log file that I posted in this thread. That was ROS version 0.3.16. After reading some more on the forum I found that version was considered old, and that a newer would magically resolve all issues ;)
So I tried to install drivers using this older version, and then when I had the same result with 63725 i didn't bother with the drivers. I also fixed the typo I made. This earlier debugfile is much larger in size.

thanks
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

Today I managed to install ethernet and modem. The latter I haven't tested :lol:
middings

Post by middings »

ChrisB wrote:Today I managed to install ethernet...
Do you have any tips to share about how you did that? ReactOS doesn't play nicely with my PC's network adapter's driver software. I also filed a bug report, CORE-8340. I realize your ethernet hardware (Broadcom) is different from mine (Intel) but you're doing something right that I'm not.