[ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vicmarcal
Test Team

[ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!

Post by vicmarcal »

As you may know there are thousands of millions of zillions of combinations of the hardware out there.
Sometimes the problem is a specific piece of hardware, but other times the problem is how those pieces of hardware talk each other!

Now imagine that we are thousand of miles away from your Real Hardware, that we can't place our hands on top of it, so we need you to be our eyes and hands to "understand" what the..is going on.

Probably you think that the Blue BSOD tells us something. I did think too. But really, it says, in most of the cases, almost nothing.

So what do we need to help you?
1) Information:
- We need to know if it you are testing the LIVE CD or the BOOT CD version.
- We need to know if you are testing a RELEASE VERSION (i.e: 0.3.16, 0.3.2, 0.1 ) or a DAILY BUILD (i.e: r63367, r61000, r74539).
- We need to know WHEN the BSOD happens(i.e: "It passed the first installation stage without issues, but when beginning the graphical second stage, it BSODed"). Please be descriptive. There are no longs descriptions, but incomplete ones. We love longs descriptions. You are our eyes.

2) A Debug log:
- Pretty easy. Run ReactOS, it will ask you how you want to boot ReactOS: Using NORMAL MODE or REACTOS (SCREEN) Mode.
- Select REACTOS (SCREEN) and hit Enter.
- It will begin booting and suddenly stops/hangs. Congratulations. You are almost there!..
- Now write "bt" and hit Enter.
- It will print several odd stuff lines. However these odd stuff lines are the ones which can help us to help you!!
- Now. Pick your mobile or pick your camera and make some "photos". Those are the "photos" we need. That is the so called Debug Log: Just a couple of lines.

3) Extra information:
This is not forcely needed but would be nice to have: Information regarding your PC.
- Which processor is it using? Which video card? How much RAM? IDE or SATA? Using USB mouse or PS/2? Which devices do you have attached?
- Come on, help us to make a visual picture of your PC. You are our eyes.

If you post without doing the previous steps, be sure someone will send you to read this link.
All those Support posts which doesnt follow this small guideline, even after been requested, will be closed by me.

If your PC begins working, please add it here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs

Improved by solid_black and webunny suggestions.
Maribo63_4

Re: [ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!

Post by Maribo63_4 »

Very nice written! :D (I think) In my opinion this was really needed to help non-technical people! ;)

P.S.: Thank you for helping us helping you to help us. :D :ugeek:
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Maribo63_4 wrote:Very nice written! :D (I think) In my opinion this was really needed to help non-technical people! ;)

Thanks!Hope this help you to help us in order to help you to help ReactOS work in your PC.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Maribo63_4 wrote:Very nice written! :D (I think) In my opinion this was really needed to help non-technical people! ;)

Thanks!Hope this help you to help us in order to help you to help ReactOS work in your PC.
Not bad.

But the thing I was missing was *any* reference to what was already done in this respect, for instance towards the wiki. For debugging info; https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging, for hardware specs and testing: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs .

To be frank, I found it a bit strange and a missed opportunity that you made an entire post about it, and didn't give even one reference or link to things already there, and which can build on.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Webunny wrote:
vicmarcal wrote:

Not bad.

But the thing I was missing was *any* reference to what was already done in this respect, for instance towards the wiki. For debugging info; https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging, for hardware specs and testing: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/PC_ROS_Rigs .

To be frank, I found it a bit strange and a missed opportunity that you made an entire post about it, and didn't give even one reference or link to things already there, and which can build on.
Missing opportunity??
I am updating the first post with all your suggestions. You know: All the posts are editable.
As you can see the post is focused tonon-advanced users. I could even say: To my grandma. You'll find a lot of them around (or coming).

Why didn't I include the RIG link?
The "Rig" link is supposed to be used for Hardware WORKING with ReactOS. The reader pointed to this thread probably WON'T have a RIG working but a non-working one.
Anyway, I have added a comment regarding it.

Why don't I add the Debugging link?
The Debugging one is out of audience scope. My short experience in the testing area shows that the chances of having a Camera/Mobile phone around is greater than having a Null-serial modem cable + a laptop ready to receive the debugger output.
Linking "non-advanced" audience to "Debugging" link is senseless, they won't understand what those terms mean.

Updating the link to the RIG.
And smile more man. Don't be so serious.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

vicmarcal wrote:
Webunny wrote:
vicmarcal wrote: Thanks!Hope this help you to help us in order to help you to help ReactOS work in your PC.
Not bad.

Missing opportunity??
I am updating the first post with all your suggestions. You know: All the posts are editable.
As you can see the post is focused tonon-advanced users. I could even say: To my grandma. You'll find a lot of them around (or coming).

Why didn't I include the RIG link?
The "Rig" link is supposed to be used for Hardware WORKING with ReactOS. The reader pointed to this thread probably WON'T have a RIG working but a non-working one.
Anyway, I have added a comment regarding it.

Why don't I add the Debugging link?
The Debugging one is out of audience scope. My short experience in the testing area shows that the chances of having a Camera/Mobile phone around is greater than having a Null-serial modem cable + a laptop ready to receive the debugger output.
Linking "non-advanced" audience to "Debugging" link is senseless, they won't understand what those terms mean.

Updating the link to the RIG.
And smile more man. Don't be so serious.

I, for one, welcome our grandma overlords! :D

I'm actually humorous a lot of the time (even if I say so myself), but I just thought to comment/give some serious suggestions, this time. The PC rig isn't solely for things that work, btw, otherwise there wouldn't be an option in green for 'working' and red for 'not working'. And as I said in an other post, I intend to make a graph/visual representation on a timeline (based on the revisionnumbers) at one point, to show the progress. That's also the reason why I asked people to mention all the revisions they test it with, so that I have enough points of references (I would like to have a minimum of at least 100 such points).
Blue

Post by Blue »

THE ISSUE HAS BEEN REMOVED!

The problem stopped OS from working & i repeated 6 times.. I even fully closed VM DOWN Now I can not repeat the problem... :evil:
Last edited by Blue on Sat Jun 21, 2014 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Need to use ws2_32_new to test it again. Our wine'age? version is stubbed out. Also open a JIRA report.
surfinjo

Post by surfinjo »

Just burned a copy of ReactOS-0.3.16-REL-live

Getting BSD, (though that is black screen) after the CD has finished loading.ie the line has gone across the screen, and the list has worked up to and through, Loading Drivers

I've tried the suggestion in the OP, unsuccessfully. I'm using a cordless keyboard and assume ReactOS doesn't support the USB transmitter. It's strange, because it supports USB but can't think of any other reason.

So I don't have the debugging information. I accept this may make it impossible and apologise, but will offer a list of my Rig to begin, hoping that it may be enough. If not I will understand. I can try to get a wired keyboard but not sure when.

Custom build.
2.40 gigahertz Intel Core2 Quad
64 kilobyte primary memory cache
4096 kilobyte secondary memory cache
64-bit ready
In use since late 2007 using XP and W7 in 32 bit mode
Twin SSDs.
External CD/DVD driver. Samsung. SE-208
Motherboard
Board: ASUSTeK Computer INC. P5N32-E SLI 1.XX
Bus Clock: 266 megahertz
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies, LTD ASUS P5N32-E SLI ACPI BIOS Revision 1205 08/22/2007
Memory
3072 Megabytes Usable Installed Memory
Controllers
Standard floppy disk controller
NVIDIA nForce 590/570/550 Serial ATA Controller (3x)
Primary IDE Channel [Controller]
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller]
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller

Graphics card
ASUS GeForce GTX 760 DirectCU II OC 2GB GDDR5

Bus
Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller
6 x USB2

Multimedia
Avnex Virtual Audio Device
C-Media PCI Audio Device

Communications
1394 Net Adapter
NVIDIA nForce Networking Controller
Once again, apologies this is not all that was asked for. Just hoping.

Brief into of myself..

Retired, 60+ (Can't remember any more :) )
Educated to 1st year university level. (Abandoned when I decided to earn real money!!)
Some computer experience, building and limited debugging, but none at the levels to create an OS.
Previously experimented with Linux, though abandoned it.
Can offer to review as appropriate, from the perspective of someone who isn't very knowledgeable, but very keen on a decent OS.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

Hello and welcome to the forums!

As the first thing I suggest to try out a newer release. The 0.3.16 is quite old now - it's from February - but there's 0.3.17 from November. If that doesn't work, maybe a nightly build would help. Some USB devices work, some don't. For me multiple keyboards and mice worked fine.

Another thing you can try is to start in "Debug (Screen)" mode, which will output any debug data to the screen instead of a serial port. If you see the wall of text freezes on "kbd>", just take a photo of the screen, then type "bt" and press enter, take another photo. It may help to pinpoint the issue. EDIT: Actually, that's point 2) in the OP, did that work for you?
surfinjo

Post by surfinjo »

Thank you Black_Fox for your reply.

Firstly I must apologise, typing 0.3.16 was a mistake, I should have typed 0.3.17. It is actually the only LiveCD available for download.

Secondly, to be sure, I've just tried once again, to run the CD, 4 times in all, once for each of the 4 offerings:

Live CD
Live CD (debug)
Live CD (screen)
Live CD Log File.

Each time the screen becomes black and unresponsive after the final BOOT Drivers have been loaded.

The screen is definitely receiving a signal from the computer, as indicated. But is not responding at all.

I know my Graphics card works with the Windows Generic Display Driver, as I have used it previously. I assume the Live CD is loading that driver or similar.

Suggestions will be appreciated.
middings

Post by middings »

The topic "[ReadThis]ReactOS doesn't work in my computer!!" is for advice about making a good request for support help or a bug report. You really should open a fresh topic in the Support forum, perhaps titled "Black screen after Live CD loads". One problem, one topic.
Diamax1985

Post by Diamax1985 »

Не загружается ReactOS 0.3.17 с установочного диска. Доходит до Boot и все, черный экран. Побывал на AMD и Intel. HDD форматировал в FAT32 и в NTFS.
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

This is the English forum, so please write in English, or post this to the Russian subforum.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Diamax1985

Post by Diamax1985 »

EmuandCo wrote:This is the English forum, so please write in English, or post this to the Russian subforum.
ReactOS 0.3.17 is not loaded from the installation disk . Comes to loading and all black screen. Visited the AMD and Intel. HDD formatted in FAT32 and NTFS.
Give the link above to Russian forum with technical support.