Asus X55U and ReactOS?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

tomleem

Asus X55U and ReactOS?

Post by tomleem »

I have an Asus X55U notebook computer. I tried installing ReactOS onto it but it did not get past loading the boot loader. It has a built in optical drive. It shows a blue screen and goes no further.
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Murple

Re: Asus X55U and ReactOS?

Post by Murple »

Same here - looks like (well, this is a wild guess) ReactOS can't handle the DVD drive in mine, which is an ASUS R503U laptop with the X55U board and this drive: PIONEER DVD-RW DVRTD11RS 1.05

I know ReactOS isn't supposed to like SATA, but it fails in IDE mode as well and some other OSes (Oracle's Solaris but not OpenIndiana, some hackintosh builds of OSX, and GNU/Hurd) all have trouble with the DVD drive. My solution in all cases is to install to an external USB hard drive, either attached to my Intel desktop or on the Asus using a VirtualBox VM which has been granted access to the USB device. Then (using Linux, my main OS) I dd the disk partition with the newly installed OS to an image file on my Linux partition, use GPartEd a disk partition of the same size on my laptop's internal hard drive, and that generally works.

So far though, while ReactOS looks to be there OK, something odd is happening with freeldr.ini - rather than fuck with that directly further, I'm trying to see if I can get either grub4dos or the Windohs 7 bootloader (via bcdedit/easybcd) to do the job. The Linux GRUB2 doesn't seem to work, nor does the OSX third party bootloader Chameleon.
jimtabor
Developer

Post by jimtabor »

Working with Windows and partitions can be tricky. The best way to do it is to have the first partition Windows or ReactOS than have the Linux partition next. Not sure if ReactOS can boot from drive "D:"?

Slackware Linux way;
h/sda1 Windows/ReactOS
h/sda2 Linux
h/sda3 Swap
Something like that...
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Murple,

Feck not please... Some of us still use English without expletives to express ourselves and find such usage offensive.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

dizt3mp3r wrote:Murple,

Feck not please... Some of us still use English without expletives to express ourselves and find such usage offensive.
Thanks. I am also one of those who prefer not to use such words. :o
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

tomleem wrote:

I, however, have no problem with it, in the context it's used here.

I'm rather more annoyed by people acting uptight or being overly Political Correct, then the use of some mild expletive words. In essence, it's no big deal, really. It doesn't make ones' ears or eyes bleed, and it's not even personal offensive. I say 'personally offensive', meaning: it's not directed at someone specific, as an insult is. This doesn't mean it can't be regarded subjectively as being offensive, but that's rather a problem of the one reading/hearing it, not the one using it. If one isn't oversensitive, it's not offensive. I know some, especially USA-citizens, are more uptight about these things, but that's because their culture is that way. That doesn't mean it should be taken as reference, however.

There is always something that some other dude might find offensive, if we're starting that way, soon one can't call the companion of Saint Nicholas Black Peter anymore. (Or at least, he might not be black anymore). If it's not meant as an insult, let it slide... we're not little kids, here, traumatised by hearing something which depicts, on itself, a rather pleasant activity.
middings

Post by middings »

The expletives of foreign languages tend to seem milder than those of ones mother tongue. If courtesy is too difficult, at least be civil.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:The expletives of foreign languages tend to seem milder than those of ones mother tongue. If courtesy is too difficult, at least be civil.
True, minus the 'seem'. They ARE milder, because the notion of courtesy, being civil, being offended, etc. of and by particular words is inherently linked to the culture (including the language) in which it is used.

But it's not only (nor specifically) limited to the mothertongue/language. For instance, we have expletives in our language as well, of course, yet we're still a lot less uptight about it. While, for instance, when a child in the US would say 'goddamnit' would be regarded as being pretty offensive, the equivalent 'godverdomme' said by a kid in my country wouldn't be particularly deemed offensive.

I think it would be better to look at the intention of expletives, instead of the words themselves (and the cultural, subjective level of offense one gives to it). In that case, you give at least a more nuanced value to it. For instance "Fuck off, asshole!" has another meaning than "I don't want to fuck with that OS". There is no actual reason to be offended by the latter, contrary to the former, even when both use the word 'fuck'.
middings

Post by middings »

Communicating "intention" and "nuance" in text? What a concept! :lol: Better to simply avoid the problem in the first place. Expletives don't communicate any technical information so here in these forums they're redundant.

Now, let's talk about ASUS X55U and ReactOS again.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

middings wrote:Communicating "intention" and "nuance" in text? What a concept! :lol: Better to simply avoid the problem in the first place. Expletives don't communicate any technical information so here in these forums they're redundant.

Now, let's talk about ASUS X55U and ReactOS again.
Any normal human communication always has some redundancy in it, so I don't see why this forum would be an exception. There are whole threads about, for instance, sexism: they don't communicate any technical information neither. Your above post (to which I now reply) doesn't communicate any technical information neither, and thus, is - according to your own criteria - as redundant as expletives. Yet you proceed anyway.

Hence, why I find you are undermining your own point you wanted to make.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

jimtabor wrote:Working with Windows and partitions can be tricky. The best way to do it is to have the first partition Windows or ReactOS than have the Linux partition next. Not sure if ReactOS can boot from drive "D:"?

Slackware Linux way;
h/sda1 Windows/ReactOS
h/sda2 Linux
h/sda3 Swap
Something like that...
I put Linux on the Asus X55U but forgot the password. :oops:

I think I will try ReactOS on it again to see if it works. I believe the release is 0.3.16? If it does not work, I will try eComStation 2.2 beta. http://www.ecomstation.com :ugeek:

I downloaded the latest build but don't have software to unzip the .7z extension. I will look for it online. :geek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
justincase

Post by justincase »

tomleem wrote:I think I will try ReactOS on it again to see if it works. I believe the release is 0.3.16?
Yes & No.
The most recent release is still 0.3.16, but it's starting to show it's age (in comparison with recent trunk builds) and is in the process of being replaced, 0.3.17 is currently in Release Candidate testing (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13701) and will likely be released soon.
tomleem wrote:I downloaded the latest build but don't have software to unzip the .7z extension. I will look for it online. :geek:
.7z is the file extension for 7-Zip archives, so you can use the open-source 7-Zip to extract the ISO.
(Note - some people prefer PeaZip, which is also open-source, but I don't like the interface)
I reserve the right to ignore any portion of any post if I deem it not constructive or likely to cause the discussion to degenerate.
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

justincase wrote:
tomleem wrote:I think I will try ReactOS on it again to see if it works. I believe the release is 0.3.16?
Yes & No.
The most recent release is still 0.3.16, but it's starting to show it's age (in comparison with recent trunk builds) and is in the process of being replaced, 0.3.17 is currently in Release Candidate testing (see viewtopic.php?f=2&t=13701) and will likely be released soon.
tomleem wrote:I downloaded the latest build but don't have software to unzip the .7z extension. I will look for it online. :geek:
.7z is the file extension for 7-Zip archives, so you can use the open-source 7-Zip to extract the ISO.
(Note - some people prefer PeaZip, which is also open-source, but I don't like the interface)
I will look for it and give it a try. Thank you for the links and information. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

tomleem wrote:

middings wrote:The expletives of foreign languages tend to seem milder than those of ones mother tongue. If courtesy is too difficult, at least be civil.
middings wrote:Communicating "intention" and "nuance" in text? What a concept! :lol: Better to simply avoid the problem in the first place.
True, minus the 'seem'. They ARE milder, because the notion of courtesy, being civil, being offended, etc. of and by particular words is inherently linked to the culture (including the language) in which it is used.

But it's not only (nor specifically) limited to the mothertongue/language. For instance, we have expletives in our language as well, of course, yet we're still a lot less uptight about it. While, for instance, when a child in the US would say 'goddamnit' would be regarded as being pretty offensive, the equivalent 'godverdomme' said by a kid in my country wouldn't be particularly deemed offensive.

I think it would be better to look at the intention of expletives, instead of the words themselves (and the cultural, subjective level of offense one gives to it). In that case, you give at least a more nuanced value to it. For instance "Fuck off, asshole!" has another meaning than "I don't want to fuck with that OS". There is no actual reason to be offended by the latter, contrary to the former, even when both use the word 'fuck'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbG8DvR ... a8cilis88A
tomleem

Post by tomleem »

I have downloaded the latest version - 0.3.17 - and will be giving it a try. :ugeek: I will be looking for an USB optical drive that can create write to a CD / DVD. I have some laptops but only one has an optical drive and it is the one that I want to try ReactOS on. :ugeek:
Tom Lee M / BigGoofyGuy