LiveCD: no USB keyboard and mouse

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

vasily72

LiveCD: no USB keyboard and mouse

Post by vasily72 »

I've heard that ReactoOS 0.3.15 features so much awaited USB support. However when I try LiveCD on my computer my USB keyboard and mouse are not functioning. It seems they're even unpowered: NumLock LED and optical sensor are dark.

ReactOS itself seems to be working fine, the desktop is shown, but without keyboard/mouse it's useless to me. Can anyone help me, please?

My computer is Lenovo All-In-One desktop M72z (no PS/2 ports).
mametoc

Re: LiveCD: no USB keyboard and mouse

Post by mametoc »

I'm unsure about mouse/keyboard USB status. But better try whit one of the lastest builds here:

https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds If the problem persist and you want report the troubleshooting) download a build whit -dbg termination ex: bootcd-xxxxx-dbg - Debug version includes debugging information, use this version to test, produce logs and report bugs. This is the recommended variant to install to report bugs.

If the problem persist, you can report here: (but search before if the issue is already reported the issue whit your current hardware configuration).

http://jira.reactos.org/

Don't forget attach whit your reported issue a debug text output file (generated by ReactOS) how get it is descripted here: https://www.reactos.org/wiki/Debugging. In the section titled: Debug text output to file
gonzoMD

Post by gonzoMD »

also try to use legacy support for HID Devices in BIOS at first.
vasily72

Post by vasily72 »

Thank you very much for your replies.
mametoc wrote:But better try whit one of the lastest builds here: https://www.reactos.org/getbuilds If the problem persist and you want report the troubleshooting) download a build whit -dbg termination ex: bootcd-xxxxx-dbg - Debug version includes debugging information, use this version to test, produce logs and report bugs. This is the recommended variant to install to report bugs.
I've tried two builds, the latest release (60736) and latest debug (60738). Still no keyboard/mouse :(.

As the first step I tried to generate debug log, using corresponding option in the boot menu. I had to modify the freeldr.ini file in ISO image using WinISO program, to set DEBUGPORT option as following: /DEBUGPORT=FILE:\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\debug.log. Actually I'm not quite sure if I correctly specified those harddisk and partition numbers (I have one HDD with 4 partitions). Besides that I'm not sure if ROS can write to NTFS disks. When I booted this modified ISO, a message appeared: "Cannot verify RAW partition". When ROS finished booting I rebooted into Win7 and found no traces of any debug.log in the root directories.

I also tried the installation CD just to check if ROS can detect my HDD in the first place. However I just stuck at the first screen (language selection) because keybord wasn't working :lol:.

Debugging over serial port seems to be out of question, since my desktop have no serial port :D.
gonzoMD wrote:also try to use legacy support for HID Devices in BIOS at first.
This option have been on. I turned it off just to see what will happen. The result is that ROS won't start because when a message appears "Press any key to boot from CD-ROM" and I press a key, the system just ignores it :).
mametoc

Post by mametoc »

As the first step I tried to generate debug log, using corresponding option in the boot menu. I had to modify the freeldr.ini file in ISO image using WinISO program, to set DEBUGPORT option as following: /DEBUGPORT=FILE:\Device\Harddisk0\Partition1\debug.log. Actually I'm not quite sure if I correctly specified those harddisk and partition numbers (I have one HDD with 4 partitions). Besides that I'm not sure if ROS can write to NTFS disks. When I booted this modified ISO, a message appeared: "Cannot verify RAW partition". When ROS finished booting I rebooted into Win7 and found no traces of any debug.log in the root directories.
Not, unfortunately ReactOS don't had NTFS support by now. So if your current hdd had four partitions maybe you can create another one but formatted in FAT32.
vasily72

Post by vasily72 »

It works! On REAL hardware!! :P

Not on Lenovo, unfortunately... I tried ROS on my second computer, much older one. It has USB mouse/keyboard too and these devices work just fine.
Now for ROS to be of minimal use, I have to try and install driver for my Ethernet card. If I can access Internet, it would mean I could probably throw Windows away :roll:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Then try a USB stick with a winxp lan driver on it and our mandatory but working driver wizard. If this fails, we could manually copy the driver files where they belong. But that can wait. Try it that way first
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

If my post/reply offends or insults you, be sure that you know what sarcasm is...
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

Hi all,
Good news!
I have figured out what the issue was, and have a fix.

So,you are going to need the boot iso, not the live CD, and an ISO editing tool.

Once the selected Image is opened in the software, then go to reactos>system32>drivers, and delete all .sys files with "usb" as the first part of the file name.Save the image and write it to a device of your pleasing.

Then once booted, it will tell you that it can't find the drivers(sys files). Press enter for each prompt and it then will take you to the blue installation screen with working keyboard and mouse(USB devices).

Disclaimer: Works for 10 and older.

This works for 11 and newer.

So,you are going to need the boot ISO, not the live CD, and an ISO editing tool.

Once the selected Image is opened in the software, then go to reactos>system32>drivers, and delete the "usbehci.sys" file. Save the image and write it to a device of your pleasing.

Then once booted, it will tell you that it can't find the driver(sys file). Press enter for the prompt and it then will take you to the blue installation screen with working keyboard and mouse(USB devices).
oldman

Post by oldman »

Reactions wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 am So,you are going to need the boot iso, not the live CD, and an ISO editing tool.
Once the selected Image is opened in the software, then go to reactos>system32>drivers, and delete all .sys files with "usb" as the first part of the file name.Save the image and write it to a device of your pleasing.
What "ISO editing tool" did you use?

I have been trying to do something similar, but without success.

I have used 7zip to unpack the ISO, then mkisofs and ImgBurn to repack the ISO, but both result in the ISO not boot fully. I have searched for other free software, but found nothing that would do the job.

I can do what I wanted to do in the source tree, then compile the source and it boots fully, but I wanted to test the other method.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

oldman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 4:22 pm
Reactions wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 2:56 am So,you are going to need the boot iso, not the live CD, and an ISO editing tool.
What "ISO editing tool" did you use?

I have been trying to do something similar, but without success.

I have used 7zip to unpack the ISO, then mkisofs and ImgBurn to repack the ISO, but both result in the ISO not boot fully. I have searched for other free software, but found nothing that would do the job.

I can do what I wanted to do in the source tree, then compile the source and it boots fully, but I wanted to test the other method.
I used PowerISO, the thing that bothers me is it installs chronium and mcfee software. So you will have to delete the directory for the adware if you don't want to deal with it.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
oldman

Post by oldman »

Thanks Reactions; it is posix and not free, but you can evaluate it. I was looking for free Win32 software.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

oldman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 5:04 pm Thanks Reactions; it is posix and not free, but you can evaluate it. I was looking for free Win32 software.
Actually(unless they just changed it) you can use it for as long as you want. They should have a 32bit version. If not, I'll post a link for the old version.
Please support/share my Patreon! Helps so much! https://www.patreon.com/reactions
oldman

Post by oldman »

I have done another search and come to a page that does offer Win32 down loads, but as I have wrote already, it is only meant for evaluation; they want you to buy the full version.
Reactions

Post by Reactions »

oldman wrote: Sat Jan 05, 2019 7:00 pm I have done another search and come to a page that does offer Win32 down loads, but as I have wrote already, it is only meant for evaluation; they want you to buy the full version.
Strange

Here is another tool that I have used to edit/make images, and it works on ReactOS(http://www.winiso.com/products/winiso-free.html). You will have to use a different tool to write the image.

Well, here are some alternatives. https://www.google.com/search?source=hp ... m2otgl0ftM

Best of luck