internet browser in live cd

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

mohamed_nor_eldin

internet browser in live cd

Post by mohamed_nor_eldin »

dear all,
it is my first time to use reactos live cd and i did not find internet browser in that ver so i could not access to internet is there any solution for that ????

gonzoMD

Re: internet browser in live cd

Post by gonzoMD »

There is a shitty internet explorer clone in c:/program files/internet explorer. Alternative you can install a browser with Reactos application manager.

turtleman

Post by turtleman »

This is a little bit OTT, but does ReactOS require IE to run the same way Windows does?

If not, it might make more sense to just have a rebranded version of Firefox :P

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

This is a little bit OTT, but does ReactOS require IE to run the same way Windows does?
No. It is not based on IE, but based on Wine Gecko so libraries are compatible only. You should design your pages for ReactOS IE as they were for Firefox.(Firefox uses Gecko too.)
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2

jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Gecko is loosing attraction, because of WebKit... does ReactOS will still use Gecko as HTML rendering engine?

BlackRabbit

Post by BlackRabbit »

gonzoMD wrote:There is a shitty internet explorer clone in c:/program files/internet explorer. Alternative you can install a browser with Reactos application manager.
I had the same problem as mohamed_nor_eldin. I wanted to use a browser with LiveCD, but could not find one. I tried accessing ReactOS Applications Manager by doing:

Start->Settings->Settings Menu->Add/Remove Programs

...but there is nothing in the right-hand-pane of ReactOS Applications Manager to install.

milon

Post by milon »

jonaspm wrote:Gecko is loosing attraction, because of WebKit... does ReactOS will still use Gecko as HTML rendering engine?
ReactOS uses it for "internal" stuff. For rendering HTML pages, it depends on the browser you use. If you used a different browser, it would use that engine.

erkinalp

Post by erkinalp »

Note that IE plugins will not work in ReactOS because of the browser engine difference.
-uses Ubuntu+GNOME 3 GNU/Linux
-likes Free (as in freedom) and Open Source Detergents
-favors open source of Windows 10 under GPL2