Mouse keyboard touchpad dont work?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

realflow100

Mouse keyboard touchpad dont work?

Post by realflow100 »

it starts up to the desktop fine but I cannot move my mouse with the touchpad or my usb mouse and my keyboard doesnt work either
so i cannot even do anything?

would it work better if I tried something other than the live CD? I am trying to use the live CD

it also says it failed to read drive D or something like that for some reason while its booting up?
what does that mean?

SomeGuy

Re: Mouse keyboard touchpad dont work?

Post by SomeGuy »

Since you mention a touch pad, I am guessing you are using a laptop? Exactly what make/model is it?

Does it have a PS/2 port where you can attach a standard PS/2 mouse or keyboard?

You might check your BIOS to see if you have a USB option to enable PS/2 Keyboard and Mouse compatibility.

Are you using the 0.3.14 version from the download page? USB doesn't work with that. You might have some luck with the more recent SVN builds.

Also the error reading a drive during boot up usually means a drive is formatted something other than FAT, which ReactOS can't read.

realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

no there is no ps/2 keyboard or mouse settings anywhere on my computer and there is no way to plug something like that in

i have no clue where to download whatever it is your telling me to download a link would be very helpful

no my bios doesnt have anything to do with ps/2 mouse or keyboard settings in it

hp pavilion zv 6000 it can run windows 2k just fine (VERY fast actuall) and it also can run windows 7 perfectly fine
i upgraded from win 2k to win7 and it works fine

and that is VERY STRANGE because drive D IS formatted as fat!! I checked in the disk management utility! O_o

realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

Sorry it wont let me edit my post but yes i have a laptop and it does have a touchpad that works fine although i prefer an actual usb mouse instead

i dont even have a ps/2mouse or whatever its called anywhere in my house i only have a plain and simple usb mouse
same for keyboard i dont even have another keyboard i only use the one built into my laptop it works fine

milon

Post by milon »

A PS/2 mouse or keyboard is old technology. Instead of a flat USB connector, it's a round plug with multiple pins. But don't worry about it - if you don't have a port for one on your laptop then you couldn't use one anyway. ;)
realflow100 wrote:i have no clue where to download whatever it is your telling me to download a link would be very helpful
You click on Get Builds at the bottom of the downloads page, and it takes you to this page: http://www.reactos.org/getbuilds/
ReactOS 0.3.14 is the most recent "stable" release, but a lot of improvement has happened since then. The most recent build as I'm typing this is 56998. The builds aren't always as stable as the official releases, but they have the latest updates that have been added.

Also, see my signature to be able to edit your posts. (That's a forum bug - not an initiation.)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

milon wrote:A PS/2 mouse or keyboard is old technology.
But superior in certain ways. Not that anyone cares.

Also, this is not the first time someone has mentioned a laptop keyboard not working. Do laptops these days connect their built-in keyboards with USB? Seems nuts, waste of power eating circuitry and all.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

Some notebooks do, yeah. I found at least two out of 12 right now.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

milon

Post by milon »

SomeGuy wrote:Also, this is not the first time someone has mentioned a laptop keyboard not working. Do laptops these days connect their built-in keyboards with USB? Seems nuts, waste of power eating circuitry and all.
Not just laptops. Even modern desktops are seeing more USB ports and fewer "other" ports, including PS/2. I think the theory is that it's simpler from a design standpoint and from an end user standpoint. But that doesn't mean it's at all better from a technical standpoint. :?

realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

so i can't use my laptop to run reactos? that's sad :(

kayedee

Post by kayedee »

Please don't forget to file your bug report, and it will eventually get fixed.

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

And be sure to run a program like AIDA32/Everest or PCIDump. Preferably something that lists the specific USB devices. I'd be interested in knowing what kind of goofy hardware they put in that thing.

With all the gamers out there, you really would think they would demand PS/2 keyboards and mice. So much simpler and efficient.

realflow100

Post by realflow100 »

how do u file a bug report? and my mouse is connected to a normal USB2.0 port

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

Read http://www.reactos.org/wiki/File_Bugs

and then go to: http://www.reactos.org/bugzilla/

Although there is not a crash, you should still try and get a debug log if you can.

Get output from a utility like AIDA32/Everest or PCIDump and attach that to the bug report.

elhoir
Test Team

Post by elhoir »

link is outdated: http://jira.reactos.org