Attempting to install React OS on windows 98 dell pc

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

Damien377

Attempting to install React OS on windows 98 dell pc

Post by Damien377 »

Okay so here is the story,

I have this old windows 98 that I am trying to get running again. The product key wont work so I looked into trying an alternate OS. So I made the ISO cd with imgburn and am now trying to get React OS on my computer. (I'm on my good laptop typing this right now if i screw something up on the 98 I wont be heartbroken.) So I tried formatting C and running it from the command prompt but that is'nt working. Otherwise it just starts with the Windows 98 setup thing even when the ISO disk is inside.

Any help would be very appreciated!

Damien377

Re: Attempting to install React OS on windows 98 dell pc

Post by Damien377 »

Oh and I have both the 98 boot CD, plus the React OS one

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz »

You can't run ReactOS installation from DOS. You must boot the ReactOS CD.

oldman

Post by oldman »

Go into the bios and make sure that the cd boots before the hard drive, then with the ReactOS cd in the cd drive, just start the computer. ReactOS should then start to boot after the bios. I do not think that you can install ReactOS from within Windows 98, it (ReactOS) uses itself to do the install by loading the kernel into memory (if that makes sense).
There are two stages to the installation process, with a reboot between. After it is installed, it will reboot a second time and you should then have a desktop from which to explore ReactOS.

I hope this is of some help to you.

milon

Post by milon »

Sounds to me like Damien377 already has it set to boot from CD, but it's going to Windows 98 anyway. If that's the case, then I suspect the ISO didn't burn correctly. Some people extract the contents of the ISO and drop it on a CD. That won't be bootable, however. Do you have a folder called something like [boot]? If so, that's what happened. If that's what happened, you have to burn the ISO again. Make sure you tell your CD burner that you want to burn a Disc Image or a Disc ISO or something like that.