LiveCD to HDD?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

IRabbit

LiveCD to HDD?

Post by IRabbit » Sat Dec 11, 2010 8:51 pm

Since my computer uses a USB keyboard, I can't install ReactOS.

How can I copy the LiveCD files to the partition (using an existing linux installation) and make it boot up from grub2?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: LiveCD to HDD?

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Dec 11, 2010 10:23 pm

The usb problem still happens after installing Reactos,so you wont able to run anything without input device :(

steveh

USB keyboard or mouse

Post by steveh » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:38 pm

If you use an USB keyboard and/or mouse, and as long as Reactos does not yet support these devices,
you should activate what is called the "legacy mode for keyboard / mouse / input devices" or similar in your BIOS.
Then USB input devices should be no problem for reactos installation.

With this feature activated, the BIOS and the chipset on the mainboard will emulate PS/2 intefaces for the OS, whereas the keyboard / mouse communicate as USB devices with the BIOS.

This should work if
1. the BIOS offers the legacy feature
2. you should use the mainboard's USB ports whatever they are USB1 or USB2 level.

(you can do the same if you want to install USB-unsupporting vintage microsoft OS'es like win98 or nt4 on a modern computer)

PurpleGurl

Post by PurpleGurl » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:39 am

However, on mine, I have to use a PS2 mouse because if I enable legacy mode, the mouse becomes uncontrollable and erratic. Then I have to use the keyboard or panel switches to shut it down. So even the legacy USB code is buggy, and the USB 2.x stuff will crash.

steveh

Post by steveh » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:00 pm

However, on mine, I have to use a PS2 mouse because if I enable legacy mode, the mouse becomes uncontrollable and erratic.
Maybe the BIOS does not handle the legacy mode correctly?
Could it be that the legacy mode works, but simultaneously the USB protocol of the mouse/keyboard is transparently forwarded to ractos as well...?

My new suggestion for this is that somebody can post here the name of reactos' not yet working USB driver (i don't know it), and you rename this driver on your system, so USB can no longer interfere with your reactos installation....

Best would be to rename or remove this driver after 1st stage install, so it will not get registered during 2nd stage install, and there will be no nagging warnings.

igorko

Post by igorko » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:09 am

USB mice already work in branch. I hope in a few days we will get basic USB keyboard support. But dunno if that support will be present in 1st stage, anyway it will be present after OS is installed.