.NET ?

Ask your support questions in here

Moderator: Moderator Team

jabberwacky

.NET ?

Post by jabberwacky »

Hi,

I successfully installed ReactOS on my Synology DiskStation (using Virtual Machine Manager). First of all, I'm absolute fascinated about this project!

My first idea how to use it was to replace my Windows build server client. So I tried something quite ambitious, i. e. installing Visual Studio Community 2017.

The installer started and told me that (of course) .NET is needed. So I tried to install .NET, but received this message (apparently this forum doesn't support screenshots, so here's the text):
Blocking Issues:

The .NET Framework 4.6 is not supported on this operating system.

Warnings:

1. Setup may not run properly, because the Windows Update Service is not available on this computer.
2. Setup may not run properly, because the Windows Module Installer Service is not available on this computer.
I assume, currently there is no way to install .NET on ReactOS? Just out of curiousity, do developers work into the direction of supporting the needed components?

Best,
Stefan
Fraizeraust

Re: .NET ?

Post by Fraizeraust »

Hi there and welcome to the ReactOS Community & Forums!

ReactOS' main core system is based upon the recreation of the NT 5.2 kernel (as used in Windows XP/Server 2003). Applications and software that require NT 6.x (Windows Vista/7/8/8.1/10) kernel version won't work for systems under NT 5.x previous version which ReactOS is based in as explained above my sentence.

However, this can solved by means of layer shims and further API NT 6.x implementations but it will take a considerable time until finished. Therefore you've got to be patient.
jabberwacky wrote:My first idea how to use it was to replace my Windows build server client. So I tried something quite ambitious, i. e. installing Visual Studio Community 2017.
A general note: ReactOS is in Alpha state which means the operating system is in heavy development and critical bugs are still in the wild. It is not recommended to use ReactOS as your every-day OS unless you wish to use for testing purposes or experimentation with a second PC without sensitive data in the hard disk.
a.k.a. GeoB99 -- ReactOS Kernel developer -- My Wiki page
middings

Post by middings »

jabberwacky wrote:...I tried something quite ambitious, i. e. installing Visual Studio Community 2017.
The installer started and told me that (of course) .NET (Framework 4.6) is needed. ... (Is) there is no way to install .NET on ReactOS?
Thank you for trying ReactOS and letting the ReactOS community know your results with Microsoft Visual Studio Community 2017 (VS2017).

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.6 is not supported on Microsoft Windows XP (NT 5.1) nor Server 2003 (NT 5.2), the current feature-set target of ReactOS. See this Microsoft document, Migration Guide to the .NET Framework 4.7, 4.6, 4.5, especially the chapter linked as "Version Compatibility" on page 1.
Just out of curiosity, do developers work into the direction of supporting the needed components?
At this time, the developers primarily work to make ReactOS feature-complete for the current design target. A small number of NT 6 API interfaces have been written. I do not know if any ReactOS developer currently seeks to make .NET Framework 4.6 run on ReactOS.
ctasan

Post by ctasan »

I think there isn't. Priority is the stability of ReactOS now.
ReactOS Community Changelogs | Admin of ReactOS Official Twitter Account | Admin of ReactOS Turkish Twitter Account @reactos_tr
sammuel

Post by sammuel »

Hi everybody - so, just to revive this query - i want to do something like that, but with an older .Net Framework pack (2.0 or 3.5); still, it seams to not install with similar message. Also, would like to install Sql Server 2008, but for the compatibility described here earlier i could try older versions (such as 2005 and see if it works - or migrate to PostgreSql/MySql models). How are we on that front? Would at least be possible to install .Net 2.0/3.5?
oldman

Post by oldman »

They do not like you resurrecting old topics; it is said, better to start a new one and reference the old one.

.Net: I read the other day that version 2 was the only one that worked in ReactOS.

Databases: PostgreSql does not yet install, but Mysql/MariaDB install and work, Firebird installs, but I have not tested to see if it works.

I encourage you to test software and see what works for you, but remember that ReactOS is still in the alpha stage and prone to BSOD.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
sammuel

Post by sammuel »

Sure ... .Net Framework 2.0 working is good enought, don't need much more than that, but would be good to run SqlServer as well. Well, one step at a time, i could migrate to PostgreSql (for my software is possible, but if is not working on ReactOS than is not an option), but MySql would lose too much so i'll test what i can regarding DB. Thanks
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

Sammuel, what is your reasoning for running an SQL server on ReactOS. Please provide and we will understand what you are trying to achieve.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

oldman wrote: Tue Mar 16, 2021 10:06 am They do not like you resurrecting old topics; it is said, better to start a new one and reference the old one.

.Net: I read the other day that version 2 was the only one that worked in ReactOS.

Databases: PostgreSql does not yet install, but Mysql/MariaDB install and work, Firebird installs, but I have not tested to see if it works.

I encourage you to test software and see what works for you, but remember that ReactOS is still in the alpha stage and prone to BSOD.
Some time ago (less than 6 months) I was able to install .Net 4.0 and run Paint.Net 3.10 on head trunk, runs a bit slow, but does work.
sammuel

Post by sammuel »

Objective? To run ReactOS instead of windows, the only 2 things i need is a sql server and .net to run my app on it.

Explaining: i have at my house a app i made in C# (.Net Framework 2.0, built it from scratch and i keep for my self, i like it very much :D ) and it stores it's data in sqlserver 2008 r2 express edition. Now, i could put a cheap pc (since it's a app with 1 client) and a free/open source OS (react os), with the app (and it's dependencies - wich are only .Net Framework 2.0 and nothing else) and a instance os sql server express on it and done! A "app in a box" sort of speak.
Last edited by sammuel on Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:23 pm, edited 3 times in total.
dizt3mp3r

Post by dizt3mp3r »

OK, understood. Well, we recommend ReactOS only for testing at the moment and if that is what you are trying to achieve then that's great.
However, do understand that we do not Recommend ReactOS for real use. If you have anything on that box that could cause you distress or damage if you lost it due to inevitable corruption then we strongly recommend you do not use ReactOS but use a production ready, stable o/s instead.

I'd suggest that you read this in full before asking any questions - it may assist you now and it may help to answer some of your future questions - https://reactos.org/wiki/ReactOS_FAQ#User_FAQ Do read the whole thing, it will assist in finding some basic answers to normal questions that are asked often. The team will expect you to know all this before they help you answer any other questions and it will make your life easier and your time with ReactOS more fruitful.
Skillset: VMS,DOS,Windows Sysadmin from 1985, fault-tolerance, VaxCluster, Alpha,Sparc. DCL,QB,VBDOS- VB6,.NET, PHP,NODE.JS, Graphic Design, Project Manager, CMS, Quad Electronics. classic cars & m'bikes. Artist in water & oils. Historian.
Julcar

Post by Julcar »

sammuel wrote: Tue Mar 23, 2021 5:18 pm Objective? To run ReactOS instead of windows, the only 2 things i need is a sql server and .net to run my app on it.

Explaining: i have at my house a app i made in C# (.Net Framework 2.0, built it from scratch and i keep for my self, i like it very much :D ) and it stores it's data in sqlserver 2008 r2 express edition. Now, i could put a cheap pc (since it's a app with 1 client) and a free/open source OS (react os), with the app (and it's dependencies - wich are only .Net Framework 2.0 and nothing else) and a instance os sql server express on it and done! A "app in a box" sort of speak.
Aside other recommendations, I know you have the interest to do the tests, ok, here is what I would do:

1) try installing .Net 4.0 (it's known that works)
2) try modifying your app to use a less-stressing RBDMS for the system, SQLite would be a great choice (tested a lot in ReactOS)
3) always keep backups, nobody knows when RoS will hit an assert and your data will be lost
4) make sure to reboot the OS at least once per day, or two if the I/O is very intense, this will ensure you that in-memory data is flushed to disk and should avoid data corruption
sammuel

Post by sammuel »

I'll make it so, SQLite isn't my first choice due to a "lack" of pure C# libraries to connect to it (usually are wrappers for C++ libs) - but i'll do it to see my "app in a box" - will take some time though ...
oldman

Post by oldman »

sammuel wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:16 pm I'll make it so, SQLite isn't my first choice due to a "lack" of pure C# libraries to connect to it (usually are wrappers for C++ libs) - but i'll do it to see my "app in a box" - will take some time though ...
EDITED
You can run gsec and isql from the command line, but there are problems that prevent them from interacting with Firebird.

SQLite is working well.
Please keep the Windows classic 9x/2000 look and feel.
The layman's guides - debugging - bug reporting - compiling - ISO remaster.
They may help you with a problem, so do have a look at them.
Jayden1990

Post by Jayden1990 »

Greetings everyone - thus, just to resuscitate this inquiry - I need to accomplish something to that effect, yet with a more seasoned .Net Structure pack (2.0 or 3.5); still, it creases to not introduce with a comparable message. Likewise, might want to introduce SQL Worker 2008, however for the similarity depicted here before I could attempt more established adaptations, (for example, 2005 and check whether it works - or relocate to PostgreSql/MySql models). How are we on that front? Would essentially be feasible to introduce .Net 2.0/3.5?