Total votes: 81

cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

Some examples:

1. litestep
2. SharpE Shocked
3. *box
4. GeoShell
I don't like any of these. The third one is very ugly. The other ones are strange and confusing.

Let's keep the actual one, it's simple, clear, easy to use, and everyone know it, so it will easier to get new users (new users will come in great majority from the Windows market)
So just update it with new icons with better and consistent style, add a better start menu, etc...

It would be the best solution.
Anyway, end users can always change themselve the shell to a 3rd party one if they want...
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Please try to stick to stuff that will not require more compliers.

SharpE is out its pascal.

Anyone going to quote shells please quote Licence and programming language. C and C++ prefered.
Viator

Post by Viator »

maybe somthing similar to this but not as large/wide

[ external image ]

also you should NOT have to click the start button to find shutdown and log off buttons they should be built into the taskbar
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

Viator wrote:also you should NOT have to click the start button to find shutdown and log off buttons they should be built into the taskbar
That is a massive waste of resources considering how often you have to shut down your system compared to using things in the start menu. If you want to have that, just add some quick launch icons.
Dominik

Post by Dominik »

as I said we are trying to make a windows-nt compilant OS, so we should use a Windows-like gui in any case!

Everything else makes no sense in my opinion!
Jaix
Moderator Team

Low resolution solution.

Post by Jaix »

I have been looking for a solution for lo-res screens, imagine 640x480 with the huge icons and fonts that are usual now adays, wouldn't it be good with an automatic solution for lo-res screens infact, I would think it would be good to have thee things in ReactOS when it comes to lo-res:
  • * Small icon possibility (with low color recognisability)
    * Small fonts for lo-res screen viewing
    * Scrooll and multiscreen support
I would like support for readability/usability for screens down to CGA, EGA and PocketPC.
I also would like support for UltraVNC-output as primary display adapter.
stefan

Post by stefan »

i've played around a little bit. here's my suggestion.
http://reactosde.re.funpic.de/mediadeta ... p&mdnr=122
the icons are subject to change. we need conistent looking icons.
#reactos - nothin2g
Get your shit at http://www.wakka.de
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

And again, highly valuable target space utterly wasted by useless graphical element...
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

Crappish,

I'm beginning to think you've got a rant for everything not your idea. Your arguments are becoming quite the bore around here. If you have such fantastical ideas then please put them to effect and stop crapping in this thread. Are you just too sheepish to post your own design or what?
Go Huskers!
Crappish

Post by Crappish »

MadRat wrote:Crappish,

I'm beginning to think you've got a rant for everything not your idea. Your arguments are becoming quite the bore around here. If you have such fantastical ideas then please put them to effect and stop crapping in this thread. Are you just too sheepish to post your own design or what?
I'm starting to feel like the judges in Idols. Specially as most of the pictures have fundamental UI design flaws, like the waste of border space. Not to mention as all of the information is out there for those that really are interested.
By introducing the useless vertrical bar in the start menu you are A) forcing user to do extra horisontal targeting, as start menu usually is accessed by throwing the mouse to the left-bottom corner and B) you are making the targeting of menu items harder because forced horisontal targeting.

I have already posted couple of designs and don't think I'll be posting new stuff anytime soon since I want to actually start writing design documents instead of bickering something that has laid over it.

That document writing is waiting for my desk; at the moment I only have couch and couple of cardboard boxes which aren't exactly making typing easy for my back. And since my back is alreay an issue I have no plans for making it worse it already is.

Besides, at the moment the layout of the GUI is hardly an issue. There are lot of UI related work to be done before the actual sweet stuff on the cake. So I'd rather do something more productive...
Can't provoke anyone? Why bother posting?
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

The samples of Crappish's UI ideas I've seen were quite good and I agree with most of what he says on UI design as well. Many of the samples posted by others in this and other threads do indeed violate a lot of UI design rules, and it doesn't take a study in UI design to figure that out ^_-
stefan

Post by stefan »

my design study is a simply clone of the classic view of winxp.
this is the goal of the proejct, isn't it?
#reactos - nothin2g
Get your shit at http://www.wakka.de
geertvdijk

Post by geertvdijk »

i like it all, but using microsoft shit might get you/ROS into trouble.. I think there should be ROS icons, looking like/better then Vista ones. Also, if I am not mistaking, the wallpaper is an adjusted version of the Vista one... Nice, but MS....
-graey-
MadRat

Post by MadRat »

I don't see the revolution you keep talking about, Crappish. Your designs look pretty vanilla IMO.

Crappish art:

http://www.tpu.fi/~a5mtikka/varasto/gui ... t_menu.jpg

The start menu looks utterly familiar. OMG, its the traditional single panel start menu!! How clever! Sure its got more horizontal lines in it and smaller icons than the original, which is worth a bonus for sure. To think nobody had thought of those changes before you, utterly flipping amazing.

http://www.tpu.fi/~a5mtikka/varasto/gui ... search.jpg

It's comical that you included the little looking glass next to the search bar. That little looking glass icon is where Longhorn hides the advanced elements, which consequently became buried three interfaces deep in your solution. I really shake my head when you demonstrate your ideas and they look so much like the old. I just don't understand why you make such a fuss about nothing much at all.
Last edited by MadRat on Sun Oct 30, 2005 7:19 am, edited 2 times in total.
Go Huskers!
cmoibenlepro

Post by cmoibenlepro »

stefan wrote:my design study is a simply clone of the classic view of winxp.
this is the goal of the proejct, isn't it?
I really like it :)