New CD Cover Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

Re: New CD Cover Design

Post by bntser »

johnkalin wrote:Seems like used this forum theme color design. But it's good cover and nice. I suggest you add some more "strong" color like red or black.
I was trying to keep consistant with the current branding, no matter how much I don't like it. When the website is redesigned, I'll make a new one to match it. Thanks for the input :)
bntser

Post by bntser »

Love4Boobies wrote:http://mikegraydesign.com/files/ReactOS ... _Cover.zip looks perfect, except for a typo ("opensource" vs. "open source").
Thanks for pointing out the typo :) I'll fix it when I have time.
bntser

Post by bntser »

Before I fix any typos, do you want this cover updated to version 0.3.14? I'm sorry I didn't ask this sooner; I didn't notice that the new version was out until just now.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Yes please, was hoping to link it on the download page.
bntser

Post by bntser »

Here it is :)
http://mikegraydesign.com/files/ReactOS ... _Cover.zip
The zip is 4.5 MB and contains the master files, svg path only files(for rendering bitmaps), and 360 dpi pngs. The fonts needed to use the master files are listed inside the file.

I made some changes to the visual style. The borders are less chunky, and overall the design has a more minimal feel.

I also changed some of the text; "Minimum System Requirements" to just "System Requirements", since the "Minimum" is assumed, and revised the insert text. I left the "about" section on the cover alone, exept for fixing a few typos. I also changed the title "Overview" to "About ReactOS".

Of course, if you don't like this changes, it's not much work to revert them.
CycleGeek

Post by CycleGeek »

The visual changes are nice, especially with the font colors now matching. The darker color makes the white text easier to read.

Some criticisms:
  • "Windows software/applications" on the cover and insert should be changed to "Windows-based software/applications" as per the Windows Trademark Guidelines.
  • For the list in "New in 0.3.14" section, the period should be removed from the 4th point for consistency.
  • The gap above "(4MB SVGA recommended)" should be below it so it groups with the graphics adapter requirements.
bntser

Post by bntser »

CycleGeek wrote:The visual changes are nice, especially with the font colors now matching. The darker color makes the white text easier to read.

Some criticisms:
  • "Windows software/applications" on the cover and insert should be changed to "Windows-based software/applications" as per the Windows Trademark Guidelines.
  • For the list in "New in 0.3.14" section, the period should be removed from the 4th point for consistency.
  • The gap above "(4MB SVGA recommended)" should be below it so it groups with the graphics adapter requirements.
Thanks for pointing this all out :) I'm going to work on it right now.
bntser

Post by bntser »

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Looks great now, only thing you might want to change is the memory requirements, setting them to 128MB as a general amount.
Perhaps trunk and/or 0.3.15 will be able to reduce this to 96, 64, 48, 40 or even 32MB as bare minimum without stalling or crashing.
crackez

Post by crackez »

I like it! nice work
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Very nice work, bntser. You might want to consider making already one for the 0.3.15 too.

In fact, I wonder if Reactos couldn't make this into something professionally with 'selling' actual burned discs within a cover to people? Ok, it would be more like supporting it, and not a real financial business or something, but heck, I wouldn't mind buying an 'official' CD/cover package from Ros while at the same time supporting it!

Or maybe like a thnk-you gift to those donators that went beyond a certain amount. Something like that. Would be a nice gesture.
bntser

Post by bntser »

@Webunny Well, so far the devs have not shown much interest lately about the cd cover. In fact, I heard second-hand that it may have been dropped completely (although I have not heard anything directly). I'm probably not going to make a new version, but I'm glad you like it :)
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Hmm? Who told you that? Any such decision like that would have to go through me, and I'd be fairly vocal about opposing it.
Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Probably due to the download page ( http://www.reactos.org/en/download.html ) still referring to version 0.3.1 instead of providing art files for 0.3.14 (or even 0.3.15 or 0.4.0)

So far the following graphics seem possible:
* cover printable onto optical disk (Lightspeed or whatever it's called)
* cover printable as label on optical disk
* CD box artwork (front, back + side, inside)
* DVD box artwork (front, back + side, inside)
* cardboard (containing ROS disk) artwork
* BIOS logo (QEMU/Seabios allows a fullscreen logo)
* Bootmanager logo (Syslinux/Grub, who knows, maybe even FreeLDR someday)
* ReactOS bootscreen
* ReactOS desktop background
* oemlogo.bmp ?
* themes?
* bootdisk graphical label? then again, floppies going extinct and USB flash devices are physically too space limited
SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

If it were me, I would just drop the version number from the graphic.