New CD Cover Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

New style & CD label

Post by bntser »

I've made some changes to the case, and created the CD label. These images are low-quality previews. After everything is worked out I will upload the full 300 dpi versions. I removed the atom logo initially for the sake of being able to use the same design on lightscribe as well as printed CDs, but it turned out so nice I did it on the case as well. I have not yet updated the insert, but I will eventually.

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

This is a slim-case, but I can create any kind of case that we need (CD, DVD, slim, standard, sleeve, etc).
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pKBz ... k4wN24xOE0

Again, these images are only previews, so this image will not have a mask cut out of it in the print version.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pKBz ... 05EdHNlZUE
Webunny

Re: New style & CD label

Post by Webunny »

bntser wrote:I've made some changes to the case, and created the CD label. These images are low-quality previews. After everything is worked out I will upload the full 300 dpi versions. I removed the atom logo initially for the sake of being able to use the same design on lightscribe as well as printed CDs, but it turned out so nice I did it on the case as well. I have not yet updated the insert, but I will eventually.

Comments and criticisms are welcome!

This is a slim-case, but I can create any kind of case that we need (CD, DVD, slim, standard, sleeve, etc).
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pKBz ... k4wN24xOE0

Again, these images are only previews, so this image will not have a mask cut out of it in the print version.
https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B3pKBz ... 05EdHNlZUE
Looks good, bntser. Indeed, the whole in the middle isn't necessary. And it's all conform the standard format of a CD, right?

I think the basic design is solid. Maybe a wee bit too dark (the cd one), or maybe it just feels like a bit too sparse and there should be something else typed, but I wouldn't know what. After all, to keep it simple is often best.

I guess tastes always differ a little bit, but I don't want to impose too much on your creative work, since all in all, I think you're doing great. Maybe, if you have the time, you could make/show some slightly different adaptations of the same, to see what pans out best, but I must say in principle, I think this is sufficently good to have a full colour print of it (well, of the high res one, that is).

Edit: Though, just compared the dvd one to the slimline...and I must confess I still like the DVD one a bit better. Ofcourse for the CD itself it's much to crowdy, so we should keep it more simple as you did. Still...
Last edited by Webunny on Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SomeGuy

Re: New CD Cover Design

Post by SomeGuy »

I like that background. It looks like a cross between The Matrix and Tetris. :) Is there a wallpaper of that?
bntser

Post by bntser »

SomeGuy wrote:I like that background. It looks like a cross between The Matrix and Tetris. :) Is there a wallpaper of that?
I could make a wallpaper I suppose... :)
bntser

Post by bntser »

Webunny wrote: Looks good, bntser. Indeed, the whole in the middle isn't necessary. And it's all conform the standard format of a CD, right?

I think the basic design is solid. Maybe a wee bit too dark (the cd one), or maybe it just feels like a bit too sparse and there should be something else typed, but I wouldn't know what. After all, to keep it simple is often best.

I guess tastes always differ a little bit, but I don't want to impose too much on your creative work, since all in all, I think you're doing great. Maybe, if you have the time, you could make/show some slightly different adaptations of the same, to see what pans out best, but I must say in principle, I think this is sufficently good to have a full colour print of it (well, of the high res one, that is).

Edit: Though, just compared the dvd one to the slimline...and I must confess I still like the DVD one a bit better. Ofcourse for the CD itself it's much to crowdy, so we should keep it more simple. Still...
If you are asking whether the CD label is standard, yes, it is. The label is dark on purpose, to make it high-contrast. I'll play around it with it a little more and see what other variations I can come up with. I'll also try some different things with the slim case. I agree that it might be a little too bland.

Just a side note, but when I work I do it in short 2 hour bursts. I don't really spend time tweaking during the first draft, because I find that too much correction makes things look uncreative and over-structured. So, because I've only worked 2-2/12 hours on this, I think there is still a lot more room for improvement. More comments are welcome, and don't feel like you are imposing ;) Different perspectives make me think through my work more, and this cover should be pleasing to most of the people who see it.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

bntser wrote:
Webunny wrote: Looks good, bntser. Indeed, the whole in the middle isn't necessary. And it's all conform the standard format of a CD, right?

Edit: Though, just compared the dvd one to the slimline...and I must confess I still like the DVD one a bit better. Ofcourse for the CD itself it's much to crowdy, so we should keep it more simple. Still...
If you are asking whether the CD label is standard, yes, it is. The label is dark on purpose, to make it high-contrast. I'll play around it with it a little more and see what other variations I can come up with. I'll also try some different things with the slim case. I agree that it might be a little too bland.

Just a side note, but when I work I do it in short 2 hour bursts. I don't really spend time tweaking during the first draft, because I find that too much correction makes things look uncreative and over-structured. So, because I've only worked 2-2/12 hours on this, I think there is still a lot more room for improvement. More comments are welcome, and don't feel like you are imposing ;) Different perspectives make me think through my work more, and this cover should be pleasing to most of the people who see it.
Yeah... I expected it to be a bit more 'bluish', but the more I look at it, the more I like the CD-print. I do miss the logo a bit. But maybe it's going to be too crowded otherwise, I dunno. An example with the logo on it might be good for comparison.

I do think there is some work to be done on the slimline, though. (Isn't that S a bit to close to the border, btw, or was that on purpose?).

Hmm...looking at it...: is that the same format of the DVD-cover? Because it seems different, and when browsing for printing-services, I've seen mentioned the slimline-dvd-case several times, but I thought it was only a bit thinner, but with the same format/dimensions as a regular DVD-case; or am I wrong? Or is that format for the so-walled 'jewel-case'?
Last edited by Webunny on Sun Jul 01, 2012 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jonaspm

Post by jonaspm »

Amazing creations bntser!
milon

Post by milon »

jonaspm wrote:Amazing creations bntser!
Absolutely! Very excellent work! And a wallpaper in the same theme would be awesome. :)
bntser

Post by bntser »

Webunny wrote: Yeah... I expected it to be a bit more 'bluish', but the more I look at it, the more I like the CD-print. I do miss the logo a bit. But maybe it's going to be too crowded otherwise, I dunno. An example with the logo on it might be good for comparison.
I'll try to put a logo in ;) I am personally against it (for both practical and stylistic reasons), but if that is what everyone wants I won't say that I won't add it in.
Webunny wrote: I do think there is some work to be done on the slimline, though. (Isn't that S a bit to close to the border, btw, or was that on purpose?).
Could you explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I understand.
Webunny wrote: Hmm...looking at it...: is that the same format of the DVD-cover? Because it seems different, and when browsing for printing-services, I've seen mentioned the slimline-dvd-case several times, but I thought it was only a bit thinner, but with the same format/dimensions as a regular DVD-case; or am I wrong? Or is that format for the so-walled 'jewel-case'?
Yes, that is correct. I'm pretty sure that the slimline is much cheaper than the standard size cases. I just made the slimline size first because I have more of them lying around my house than standard cases. I'll make a standard DVD case, or whatever different kind of case you want to go with for printing.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

bntser wrote:
Webunny wrote: Yeah... I expected it to be a bit more 'bluish', but the more I look at it, the more I like the CD-print. I do miss the logo a bit. But maybe it's going to be too crowded otherwise, I dunno. An example with the logo on it might be good for comparison.
I'll try to put a logo in ;) I am personally against it (for both practical and stylistic reasons), but if that is what everyone wants I won't say that I won't add it in.
Well...as z98 has made clear by now, we'll have to wait with the logo/name for the get-go of the Ros-team, before we can print anything of the sort. And thus we shall wait. :) That said, nothing wrong with at least creating some examples and just look at it and compare, in the meantime.

I can imagione something about the esthetic reasons, but what do you mean by practical reasons? The hole in the middle? Too crowded, thus reducing the size of the letters and making them more difficult to read? Something like that?

Anyway, it's not a real must. I'm not unfavourable to the concept as it is now. but it would be nice if we had things to compare; small variations on the main theme.
Webunny wrote: I do think there is some work to be done on the slimline, though. (Isn't that S a bit to close to the border, btw, or was that on purpose?).
Could you explain this a bit more? I'm not sure I understand.
As a whole, this seems a bit less slick than, for instance, the former DVD cover you made. Also, the letter S of Reactos is pretty much reaching the border of the cover. Could be it's meant to do that, aesthetically, but I'm not all too fond of it.
Webunny wrote: Hmm...looking at it...: is that the same format of the DVD-cover? Because it seems different, and when browsing for printing-services, I've seen mentioned the slimline-dvd-case several times, but I thought it was only a bit thinner, but with the same format/dimensions as a regular DVD-case; or am I wrong? Or is that format for the so-walled 'jewel-case'?
Yes, that is correct. I'm pretty sure that the slimline is much cheaper than the standard size cases. I just made the slimline size first because I have more of them lying around my house than standard cases. I'll make a standard DVD case, or whatever different kind of case you want to go with for printing.
Ermm...what of my questions was, in fact, correct? :P Because the one excludes the other a bit. If the slimline DVD has the same format (aka dimensions) as a normal DVD, then it isn't a jewel case. As far as I gathered from browsing printservices, the slimline DVD is exactly the same as the normal DVD-case, except it's 7 mm instead of 14 mm thick. (it doesn't differ much in price neither) For a cover to be put in, this changes almost nothing, however. Alternatively, I could just go for the normal DVD-case; there is hardly a difference in price anyhow.

A jewel-case is definitely different; it's more square and less big than a DVD case. So I was wondering for what, exactly, is that latest cover you made.

Also, while you're at it, it might be a good idea to also make one for a cardboard sleeve. I love those things, but they are very expensive in small amounts, so I won't use them for this first 3.14 lot.

*cough* If we get the permission of the Ros team, of course. :|
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

bntser, if you didn't notice: I've emailed you in regard to the art for the CD-printing-project, as per request of z98.
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

You forgot to cc me onto the email.
Webunny

Post by Webunny »

Z98 wrote:You forgot to cc me onto the email.
It was the mail-system here, not his normal email. And I don't see a way of putting you in cc with the forum-emailsystem. I've asked him to get in touch directly with his actual email, so we could start the discussion (thus, nothing has been talked about yet). Relax a bit; you'll be in cc as soon as he responds and agrees to discuss things by email.
forart

Post by forart »

Glad to see my slogan in front cover... anyway, once again, I believe it's time to automate covers' creation.

We need a PHP scripts that automatically grabs version number and generate the updated cover on the fly.

Not so difficoult to realize with FPDF...

I can also provide my CoverGen script source code, of course:

DVD on A4:
http://www.forart.it/covergen/cover.php ... review.png

CD on Legal:
http://www.forart.it/covergen/cover.php ... review.png
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

I guess this is the only surviving link after all that time: http://ubuntu-user333.deviantart.com/ar ... -203080400