New CD Cover Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

bntser

Re: New CD Cover Design

Post by bntser »

Ok... After a closer look FF5 is looking better than 4. I'll upload the new version will the spelling corrected in just a second.

bntser

Post by bntser »

Here's the update ;) There shouldn't be any problems now with the text, and the screen-shot has been changed to FF5b7 from FF4. It includes a version with the original text for future editing, as well as a all-curves .svg and rendered .png.

http://mikegraydesign.com/files/ReactOS ... _Cover.zip

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

looks good. I suppose 0.3.13 still has the blue squares around desktop shortcut icons/labels/names, 0.3.14 or 0.4.0 likely not anymore.

naums

Post by naums »

uhm. why having the version on the cover? Why not making a simple one that can be reused for the newest version?

bntser

Post by bntser »

naums, The cover is 100% reusable ;) You just edit the text, or delete it if you want to. I made it with Inkscape for that reason. Updating it to a new version would only take about 10 minutes, if you don't include making new screen-shots.

naums

Post by naums »

yep, I see. I did a little homework booklet-Cover (please don't leave me behing, google) with your design. If there is any intrest in it I could up it somewhere.

bntser

Post by bntser »

naums wrote:yep, I see. I did a little homework booklet-Cover (please don't leave me behing, google) with your design. If there is any intrest in it I could up it somewhere.
I would like to see it :)

naums

Post by naums »

I thought so... I gotta up it on megaupload. link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=OH78FA3T (edit: if you want another hoster, contact me per PM)

oh... um my homework booklet is 21cm to 26,5cm. So if yours is bigger, just remove the white box on the left and drag the stuff to the left. But it looks great. :)

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

Could anyone verify latest system requirements please?

I'm pretty sure around 128MB is needed now to survive each install phase, so you'd end up with a Pentium-2 machine (266Mhz were they?) as minimum. That throws out any 486, Pentium and P-Pro people keep as relics :)
Minimum required available free disk space (and thus also minimum disk size) appears to be around 360MB (installer complains otherwise, same if no disks found)

SomeGuy

Post by SomeGuy »

I actually have a original Pentium 200mhz with 128mb of ram on it. Not much luck getting ReactOS on it though. There are, of course, other things to consider such as compatible disk/video and the actual desired permanence. (Although I once had XP on that Pentium 200 and basic operations ran at an acceptable speed)

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Maybe it's a regression, ROS once worked on Pentium MMX 166MHz with 48 MB of RAM.

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

I wonder if that was with graphical user environment ("desktop") and a bit of session management back then. For low memory systems a pure commandline environment is still usefull for file management (while benefitting from hardware detection), but alas.

People can easily verify minimum requirements themselves for ReactOS revisions/versions using virtual machines. Disk size can be altered, memory size can be changed in multiples of 1MB or 4MB.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

I wonder if that was with graphical user environment ("desktop") and a bit of session management back then.
That was between releases 0.3.8 and 0.3.9, so yes.

Bblaauw

Post by Bblaauw »

This is derailing from discussing the CD cover itself by now, but there's not much to improve on already excellent work.
Latest trunk revisions (Cmake, ACPI) seem to be able to handle running in a 64MB environment again. However installation under such amount of memory is a total nightmare.
By the time devs decide to branch for next official release, it might be handy to determine real requirements so the CD cover can reflect this.

Love4Boobies

Post by Love4Boobies »

http://mikegraydesign.com/files/ReactOS ... _Cover.zip looks perfect, except for a typo ("opensource" vs. "open source").
The high-quality content on this forum, on which many users worked really hard, is almost always ignored by the developers!

Examples: new website design, themes, CD booklet, etc.

I don't mean to be rude but I am trying to raise awareness...