Screenshots (works in progress)

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Pisarz

Re: Screenshots (works in progress)

Post by Pisarz »

About icons - modify the command prompt as igorko says and they would be great.

But the taskbar...
If you need proper inspiration, just open the deviantArt, take a look about system design concepts and visual styles, then - try to create something which looks good, based partialy on what you've had encourted.
And please, let it not be another copy of crappy Vista artwork...
garetjax

Post by garetjax »

I do not believe this is an XP Fork at all. However, I do believe that to adopt any design for the future you first must start with something that is usable and similar to something that has already be done lest we end up with something similar to ubuntu or another flavor of linux with a KDE Desktop manager.

While my OS Design is different and provides a Rocket dock installation you must understand what Rocket Dock is: a program launching bar that is customizable and editable to launch any/all applications that are installed into an OS. Rocket dock relies heavily on the .net redistribution package and is available as a free GNU application.

Ultimately, my goal here is to create a theme that users of any flavor of OS with a Visual Desktop be able to marvel at. I am sure there will be those that do not like my idea of what a GUI is as I am sure there is an asshole for every human being on the face of the planet. Be that as it may, I am continuing on my progression of both the website design(s) and the os design. I have now created 20 Icons to support the future of the OS and am still working feverishly on the OS Theme Module.

With any luck my C# Theme Manager will be able to be used as a hooked module to the ros-explorer in future releases and will enable os theme support. If I am not able to complete this task well, at least I have taken initiative where there seems to be a lacking designer influence in both web terms and os terms.

FYI: If you honestly, do not like my UI Theme I am sorry...I cannot please everyone. I will not interpret designs from other people @ deviantart as that is considered not only to be rude but, also against the terms of service with deviantart. Stealing is stealing even if it is inspiration from them. (FYI: I maintain my own active membership at Deviantart as well.)
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

@Garetjax I used to be like you when I joined this community, wanting to change the style to my own. They will not take it, and I understand why, now. I agree with them. No. Make a uxtheme file or something, and publish it in the future
Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

garetjax: Regarding the desktop screen, I share the opinion of your icons with Caemyr (love them and would like to see more than these two, didnť catch the third one on IRC). The start button looks horrible, I like the wallpaper though, it is a nice complement to the icons. As to the web designs, the forum content space is too narrow, otherwise they are generally very nice, just use the existing logo, it is good enough :)
garetjax

Post by garetjax »

@kevintrooper - I am not that easy to defeat and I hate the uxtheme method of window desktop theming...it is horribly inefficient and wrought with hundreds of failed hooks. As for my design for the OS - sometimes fresh eyes are better than those that stare at the same thing for months if not years. I am in no way identifying there is a problem with the OS it's looks or its features, but I do propose that Modern is not what React OS looks like when compared against all (everyone) of the competing operating systems. I understand that the base line UI is setup to represent the NT Base Installation or rather more precisely Windows NT. Though, by default this means drab and grey in every way the operating system functionally is sound but graphically craptastic. Any change is better than no change at all. Once a theme manager is available what harm is it to have multiple OS Default themes available? This is my thinking...

Futher: You shouldn't limit yourself to the acceptance or denial of those around you but, indeed adapt your designs to acceptance of the masses. Such is the way of UI Designs.

@Blackfox - The start button is problematic as the icon is hard to render correctly in this tight space...I'd rather use the atom without the orb or some such similar icon reflection - coming up with my own would be preferred (which may be what I do). Thank you for your words on the website redesign...The area that is the content location is meant to show the space in a 100% configuration (I only have added the right and left area's to show differing contrast.
kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper »

garetjax wrote:@kevintrooper - ...

Futher: You shouldn't limit yourself to the acceptance or denial of those around you but, indeed adapt your designs to acceptance of the masses. Such is the way of UI Designs.
Mind if I quote you on that?
garetjax

Post by garetjax »

I would imagine so, ... lest I be the owner of my own hypocrisy (lol)>
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

garetjax:
Waiting for more incredible icons :)
betaluva

Post by betaluva »

i really like the "wood" look but does everyone have to use the vista "orb" start button? the old style start button is better in my opinion.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

garetjax wrote:Indeed. I find that when I receive feedback that a majority of individuals provide only simplistic concepts and do not elaborate on to what they find distasteful, in error or problematic about what it is they see of my work. :)~

Here is another (Website) proposal / screenshot.

http://www.fatalfew.com/images/react-os-web-ver2.png
http://www.fatalfew.com/images/react-os ... s-ver2.png

FYI: Unified Design for the forums with no IFRAME/LAYER hooking :)
While I'm not terribly fond of your desktop design, the website design is gorgeous. It's got a nice, clean modern look to it. The current design is overwhelmingly blue. The only issue I might have is the fact that I'd have to scroll down to see the whole page. Perhaps if the tabbed arrangement of the official design, with the clean graphic design of your page were merged, we'd have a real, modern-looking website. Or you could just remove the roadmap at the bottom of the page and solve the problem, since it's universally reviled by both users and developers alike.
rafael-eldandil

Post by rafael-eldandil »

It would be interesting to see this OS theme, I know it would be shocking to those that are used to see vista themes or seven themes but, as many have said, the idea of having multiple standard themes in ROS distribution is a very good ideia... This way, end-users may choose the one that fits they purpose. But we need theming first =D
Kyuuqsoft

Post by Kyuuqsoft »

if you want to put ideas like the screen shot, just ut the GUI Theme in Aquais OS instead of React OS Theme. AQUAIS Is the Advance OS of React OS, Known as New React OS Generatin. ok.
igorko

Post by igorko »

Kyuuqsoft wrote:if you want to put ideas like the screen shot, just ut the GUI Theme in Aquais OS instead of React OS Theme. AQUAIS Is the Advance OS of React OS, Known as New React OS Generatin. ok.
This is called "trolling". Ok? And if AQUAIS Is known show it to us. This is ReactOS Forum and people are putting ideas for ReactOS here.
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

igorko wrote:
Kyuuqsoft wrote:if you want to put ideas like the screen shot, just ut the GUI Theme in Aquais OS instead of React OS Theme. AQUAIS Is the Advance OS of React OS, Known as New React OS Generatin. ok.
This is called "trolling". Ok? And if AQUAIS Is known show it to us. This is ReactOS Forum and people are putting ideas for ReactOS here.
He was banned so don't waste efforts ;)
greenie

Post by greenie »

@garetjax:
First: Your icons are AWESOME. Though the taskbar I don't like.There are some technical problems with your theme. Your start button protrudes from the task-bar a lot, and will cover part of applications. Though this may not effect a lot of applications. Applications did not design it with that in mind.

Second: UXtheme is more powerful than you think and also more necessary than you think. Obviously it is needed to theme normal buttons and controls. Many applications also access uxtheme and draw based on the current theme. In fact QT uses uxtheme and draws everything itself rather than using windows buttons. In the case of the shell it can change basically everything. Though there is the limitation of transparency before vista,which you could add support to uxtheme without breaking compatibility with normal themes, and of course layout(unless you modify the shell and move start button from left to right.

Third: don't modify UXthemes with resourceHacker and the such. As I have yet to see a theme that wasn't originally a microsoft .msstyle . I'm playing with making a program that makes theme files from scratch. Though you can also do it with any compiler. Though it will be a bit of a pain doing it that way.

Fourth: if you still want to do it another way. You may make an awesome replacement shell. ;D

Fifth: your website design is awesome.