Screenshots (works in progress)

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

garetjax

Screenshots (works in progress)

Post by garetjax » Sun May 30, 2010 3:17 am

Comments appreciated - Still in design phases.
Image - OS Theme Idea
Image - Website Idea

EmuandCo
Developer

Re: Screenshots (works in progress)

Post by EmuandCo » Sun May 30, 2010 1:48 pm

I like the ROS design. Now we just need a way to combine this with the Wine Theme implementation... PNG Support for uxtheme would be a nice 1st step. Sadly the UXTheme System is very strict with sizes and forms, too...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

garetjax

Post by garetjax » Sun May 30, 2010 5:41 pm

Agreed.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Mon May 31, 2010 7:22 pm

I don't like your new face for ReactOS. It just... doesn't fit with my understanding of aesthetics. It doesn't even fit to the current face of ReactOS. Sorry, but for me - it's junk, nothing more. Looks crappy. But it's only my humble opinion, nevermind.

kevintrooper

Post by kevintrooper » Mon May 31, 2010 7:27 pm

Looks better than your first post, the first was just plain bad. At least for ROS. The website already is getting a new face and fits much better than this

garetjax

Post by garetjax » Mon May 31, 2010 8:51 pm

Interesting replies...

You say it is junk? And not aesthetic at all? Alright...And you don't like the ReactOS Theme that I am creating? Again the same issue? As for the website redesign, I did not think that there was a solid confirmation for the purpose of re-design of the site. I believe however, there was a contest for entries of which only a minimal few have submitted any work at all.

I also, believe that drupal will be the new framework standard and as such will require xhtml 1.0 - I am creating a design that I thought (2nd attempt) would encapsulate a more unified look and feel to it that the current website. However, I digress I may not be the appropriate person for this task if my work is considered so poorly in the eyes of the developers. I had felt that my 20 years of experience would enable me to design, develop and code the solution for your website and UI Module for the OS; I must've been mistaken when I felt that the teams seemed to request more designers.

Sorry to have assumed incorrectly.

-garetjax

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Mon May 31, 2010 9:50 pm

Everyone has his own taste. I do like the new desktop and would love those new icons in ReactOS.

garetjax

Post by garetjax » Mon May 31, 2010 10:38 pm

Indeed. I find that when I receive feedback that a majority of individuals provide only simplistic concepts and do not elaborate on to what they find distasteful, in error or problematic about what it is they see of my work. :)~

Here is another (Website) proposal / screenshot.

http://www.fatalfew.com/images/react-os-web-ver2.png
http://www.fatalfew.com/images/react-os ... s-ver2.png

FYI: Unified Design for the forums with no IFRAME/LAYER hooking :)

SuperDog
Translation Team

Post by SuperDog » Mon May 31, 2010 11:14 pm

garetjax, there was a contest for website design last year. This is the winning concept: http://img200.imageshack.us/img200/7833 ... esign4.png

What do you think of it?

garetjax

Post by garetjax » Mon May 31, 2010 11:28 pm

I think it is a good design and have viewed the running version somewhere. From what I could tell the design and it's implementation seemed to be at odds with each other. Additionally, it seemed that the navigation methods mocked up didn't quite work well with xhtml (perhaps, due to a lack of knowledge, expertise and/or time). I think it is a good design but a majority of the UI Issues for the website seem to not be handled very well.

Tabbed navigation is a good idea in practice but, usually falls short on user experience in the way of implementation due to browser incompatibilities with the navigation implement method.

Language selection could probably be done a bit better - having a drop down selection works but, I believe you could pull from regionalization data already defined within windows and provide an option if there is no regional data available or if the user profile had a separate setting.

I like it overall and think it is a good enough base to start with. However, it seems that to implement more advanced solutions such as forums, wiki, irc and other settings would be a problem for the design in its current solution (from what I saw at the live preview).

The biggest problem(s) that I can see is in the form of how drupal and any other venerable CMS Platform is designed. :)

Hopefully, I make some sense.

Pisarz

Post by Pisarz » Tue Jun 01, 2010 10:47 am

I don't like your desktop concept from the first post. Website design is good, but... why the hell you think ReactOS is another illegal fork of Windows XP, not open-source operating system written from scratch...

Desktop should be aesthetic, clarified, without any of those strips or whatever. About the button and overally - start menu... I would like to leave this uncommented. It's just unusable, and the button itself looks bad.

And the dock. I know it's useful in Mac OSX, but only there, otherwise - you do prefer 10 icons to open one program, yes?

You've forgot about the most important piece of the desktop - recycle bin.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:01 pm

Our first theming steps will be very XPish anyway, Pisarz. First we have to get Wine's uxtheme working which is not really the case yet.

I think his desktop theme is a nice start and worth to follow. Its something different and the Icons ROCK.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Tue Jun 01, 2010 1:35 pm

In my opinion I think having those rock icons will improve a Lot ReactOS User experience.
Just changing old icons with new ones will change totally the aestethic of ReactOS.
Of course it would be cool if we can change taskbar and menu colors to fit the Icons palette.
When having the basics i will change them with these ones he is doing to show you the changes.

igorko

Post by igorko » Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:06 pm

i don't see command promt on command promt icon. It must be there. :)