rosapps downloader

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

greenie

rosapps downloader

Post by greenie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 3:54 am

I like the idea of a downloader. like synaptic package manager.

The current one looks awesome. You can download, install and remove the install file automatically after installation. Also installed apps can be uninstalled here.

Though one thing I like about synaptic is its silent install. Install a new os tick what you want then walk away and the pc is ready when you get back.

anyway i had a go. added tags called silent to the xml file that contain "/SILENT" for putty ect. Then added

Code: Select all

r = CreateProcessW(path, SelectedApplication->Silent, NULL, NULL, 0, 0, NULL, NULL, &si, &pi);
It works. though I have no idea how the Gui should be set up. Should it be a button next to install that says silent install or check box or should it be a check box in preferences. Also would people prefer silent or very silent when possible?

Also a question in synaptic you mark files for installation then you install all the files. Which do you think is better installing one application at a time or installing multiple?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Re: rosapps downloader

Post by vicmarcal » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:33 pm

Uhmmm... I love the Silent Install too...
But how are you going to provide to the Installer the Options it asks?
-Most of them are commun as "Declining the EULA" or the Path where the App should be installed.
But there are a lot of them which are App-dependant as "Choosing the Modules you want to Install (Matlab,OpenOffice,Microsoft Office...)"..

greenie

Post by greenie » Thu Mar 19, 2009 11:49 pm

Only some installers have silent install switch and usually it will use the default options when you would normally step through an install. Some have extra switches to change these default settings. So you could customize the install further. But generally for silent install you do not want to be selecting options. Though if there is something that is not liked bout default silent install you can add those tags into the silent tags if you run the repository. Or have a gui were all switches for aan app can be changed. So what are the opinions on thiis?

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:13 am

Seems someone began making a packagemanager,or somethig like that, but it doesnt work:
http://svn.reactos.org/svn/reactos/trun ... s/packmgr/
Give it a look :)

greenie

Post by greenie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:00 am

I noticed that packmgr. It doesn't seem to work and I have not had a look at the source. I am starting to like the look of downloader and its simple xml system with a regname property to see if it is installed. The other one seems to have an interpreted language for installing. Though it does look like this other one is aimed at also being available at command line. Which I suppose could be good.

I don't know if anyone knows about the plans for each of these programs.
Is it much the same as explorer and explorer_new. Where one will replace the other?

greenie

Post by greenie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:25 am

also something came pack to mine from a while ago.
http://windows-get.sourceforge.net/index.php
I don't think its maintained anymore but i'm not sure. I will have a look at it. Give your opinions on what you guys think.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:24 am

seems interesting..i wil try in ros...

The source code can be find here: http://windows-get.cvs.sourceforge.net/ ... t/win-get/

But there are 2 problems:

1)It isnt really a source-code tree..there he has uploaded the .exe and some more files. So we dont know which code has ben used to create those .exe

2)Btw he has finished giving support since 2 years ago.Or at least 2 years ago he made the last change.

greenie

Post by greenie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:42 am

windows-get is truly dead. can not even see a link for source code.
anyway there is another started after it called just win-get. the link is http://win-get.sourceforge.net/ .
It is command line only.

The downloaded catalog is sql with a few different tables. with the following information
application(aid, purpose, description, website)
package(aid, pid, version, language, filename, size, silent, md5sum, installer_in_zip)
mirror(pid, url)

plus a impressive list of commands
Commands:
install Download and run the installer for the application.
silent Download and run the installer silently for the application.
download Just download the installer to the current directory, but
don't run it.
show Show the details for the given application.
search Search the application list for the given words.
update Update the application catalog from the given website.

Overall very impressive. it's given me a lot to think about.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:06 am

Uhmm seems he stopped 5 months ago, but it is a close time.Maybe we can try to contact and he can develop it with help of people here and integrate to ReactOS. :)

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos » Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:49 pm

Try then please...

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:47 pm

Are we really interested?

greenie

Post by greenie » Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:32 pm

what do you mean vicmarcal?
being interested in package management in general? or do you think we we should build our own package management?

Anyway I'm rather impressed by how well it works. No gui exists for it. I was thinking of making a gui that just run dos win-get commands and grabs the output. Spent past hour doing that(only just starting c ><). Building a gui from scratch will be painful using completely win32 api, but it will be learning experience.

Who knows if I will though. Tweaking downloader is much easier than building something from scratch.

vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal » Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:06 pm

I mean...i think it can work pretty nice...if you want to do so...maybe you can try to contact with the guy who begin doing it. Maybe he can help too. :)
I can try contact with him,but it´s better if you do so.So you will be helping 2 projects at the same time: win-get and us.
Our package manager doesnt seem to work so the best try is working on the working win-get.
I think it can be really useful.

Also as Fireball pointed me, would be really useful an App which controlls the files,registry keys...copied/modified when performing an Install,so when uninstalling it,this ReactOS app will check the uninstall was well done and if ReactOS-App finds that a file/folder hasnt been deleted,then it will delete it.
It will help to perform a REAL clean uninstall.(we know what happens in Windows).
Maybe as a first approach,you could modify the win-get to perform these actions,of course it would just control the files/registry keys of the apps installed by the win-get-ros.(Maybe the win-get-ROS version could create a txt file where it has writes the files created/modified..and when uninstalling the app it will check those files has been properly deleted/re-modified)

The123king

Post by The123king » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:03 pm

Maybe if ROS combines the downloader with add/remove programs we could have some sort of "package manager". Something with the updateability and flexibility with the features of add/remove programs would go down well i think.

greenie

Post by greenie » Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:29 am

win-get performs no package management. all it does is download and run. much like downloader. I have no idea(off the top of my head) if it is possible to be able to track an application modifications of registry and files. Though someone mentioned a registry patch. Where an applications changes are not applied to registry, but instead to a layer for its own application. When a program calls the registry it flattens these registries to produce a normal registry and all registry changes can be isolated and removed easily. Though I think that would have to be implemented in registry api.

alternative is make up a standard(preferably one that is already common) and only add installers to repository that comply.
I actually think the current downloader method of uninstall is probably the best method having a regname for installed apps and using the uninstall app that is referenced in registry. It is something that is already a windows standard after all. Updating will be hard as there is no real common way to know the version applications are.

I might contact him if I start getting a gui working. I don't want to jump the gun, then not do anything.