STARTING A DESIGN TEAM

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

xChaos

Re: STARTING A DESIGN TEAM

Post by xChaos »

None at all witch! Its got to get done sometime! And no, this hasn't disbanded. If anyone still wants to join, it can't hurt. Sorry i haven't responded. I've been a little busy. I'm going to get some form of a website together for the designs (own forum, uploads, gallery, IM client, etc)
and a tutorials section for people who don't know what the hell reshack, gimp and paintshop pro are. :D I'll keep updating!

cheers.

xChaos

(my new name in the IRC is necrolysis btw)
Mr_Histamine

Post by Mr_Histamine »

...so yeah xChaos...don't know how far you've gotten with creating your website; but, I've started a website with Google sites HERE.
Send an email to: reactos.design@gmail.com, and I'll add you as an owner. If you'd rather use the site you've been working on, just let me know.
Witch

Post by Witch »

Wow that logo looks hot. My mind was blown away the first 10 milliseconds when I clicked on the link :o
I think I will look for you guys when I need some graphics in the future.
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

Hello Mr_Histamine! I've actually for some weird reason sent you an email, about specs of the server i've got up....so far its about 5 gigs of space, 100 gigs of bandwidth, unlimited sql databases, php (whoo hoo!) autoinstaller, 10 ftp usernames and 10 email addresses, and more! so if you want to use it, then by all means lets go for it. I've also looked at the site...not bad...I especially like the logo ;). As for what I mean: i mean this. lets think about this for a minute. what is the purpose of an operating system? loading the devices and software programs. Think about this: what do people use more? the shell? or the programs they have? exactly! so therefore the gui shouldn't get in the way. it should be resourceful, simple, easy to use and navigate, and ultimately: low resource usage. i hope our little "unofficial" design team can make that happen. And yes...we should do that while also thinking about the developers...they are kind of coding it (though im sure other people wouldn't mind helping...:D) anyways...its been a long night...im not awake, and i think i'd better get off here before i pass out. so that is why this is runny, the grammar sucks, and it mostly makes no sense....my english teacher would roll over in her grave....:D i'll post when i get it "useable".

Cheers,
xChaos
Mr_Histamine

Post by Mr_Histamine »

xChaos wrote:Hello Mr_Histamine! I've actually for some weird reason sent you an email, about specs of the server i've got up....so far its about 5 gigs of space, 100 gigs of bandwidth, unlimited sql databases, php (whoo hoo!) autoinstaller, 10 ftp usernames and 10 email addresses, and more! so if you want to use it, then by all means lets go for it. I've also looked at the site...not bad...I especially like the logo ;). As for what I mean: i mean this. lets think about this for a minute. what is the purpose of an operating system? loading the devices and software programs. Think about this: what do people use more? the shell? or the programs they have? exactly! so therefore the gui shouldn't get in the way. it should be resourceful, simple, easy to use and navigate, and ultimately: low resource usage. i hope our little "unofficial" design team can make that happen. And yes...we should do that while also thinking about the developers...they are kind of coding it (though im sure other people wouldn't mind helping...:D) anyways...its been a long night...im not awake, and i think i'd better get off here before i pass out. so that is why this is runny, the grammar sucks, and it mostly makes no sense....my english teacher would roll over in her grave....:D i'll post when i get it "useable".

Cheers,
xChaos
Hey xChaos,
I haven't checked the emails for that site (simply because I've forgotten the password), so if you had more info you needed to share, send me a PM :D. As far as the server goes; keep us updated with your progress, and feel free to use the logo if you want (I think I have a bigger one...if you want it let me know).

I don't disagree that the UI should be resourceful, simple, easy to use/navigate, and use as little resources as possible. However, there needs to be a balance. It'd be great if the shell used as little resources as possible, but if it looks atrocious - it wouldn't matter, since people would end up losing interest (and would most likely go back to one of the many Linux distros or Windows). Honestly, I'd like to see a system with an advanced shell interface that starts off extremely light, but allows users to plug-in shell covers (i.e. like Windows theme's, but with greater control over intricate UI actions). I would start on my love/hate relationship with the Start menu, but I'll save that for the design server...:mrgreen:

That being said, I think the developers should continue focusing on the framework, building its stability and robustness (which is why I believe there should be a completely separate design team).
xChaos

ROS DESIGN WEBSITE LAUNCHED

Post by xChaos »

Right then! I'm proud to announce that I have FINALLY gotten around to creating the website! It's mostly functional! I still need to get an image gallery and chat together...but one thing at a time I suppose. Register! Enjoy! Post to your hearts content! Or...maybe not. Still! It's there if you want it. Oh and Mr_Histamine, register and send me a PM on there, and I'll add you as an admin. :D Until next time!

>> http://www.reactosdesign.exofire.net

Cheers,
xChaos
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

XChaos: Long timee! Nice to see you here again ;)
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

Glad to be here! I told you I wasn't leaving! Tell me what you think of the site, and any improvements I could make.

cheers,
xChaos
Witch

Post by Witch »

What happened to that old and hot ROS logo from before? I wanted to steal that and put it on my website as a link banner. I think the official logo is ugly :P I liked yours better! Can I steal it, modify it and put it on my website?

Sorry it was Mr Histamines hot ROS logo I wanted to steal. It's still there, wohoo! :D
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

I don't have the original image, so i can't implement it into the banner...shame...
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

Ok, I supposed I just lied. I got the image, not the original, but the image, and converted it to alpha, got rid of the black outline, and incorporated it into the banner. Does it look ok? should it be bigger? Was the original better? thanks. Register!
Witch

Post by Witch »

Histamine's black background looked hotter. Maybe you can keep that black background and then use a gradient transition to that blue background you already have?

I want this logo but with only one saturn ring. The right sided saturn ring should stay or whichever balances the logo best. Two saturn rings looks ugly and unbalanced. And for Network banner purposes it should be shrinked as much as possible without creating a jaggy looking logo.
http://sites.google.com/site/reactosdesign/

Like they do with these banner logos.
http://www.ohloh.net/p/reactos/widgets

And can I have some fries to go with that, please? :P
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

Like I said before, that's the best I can do with the resources I have. Until I obtain the original image, I can't do much else.
xChaos

Post by xChaos »

All righty then. The site will be updated often, with more than i know what to do with. if you're interested, by all means, register and use the site! (as you can tell, i'm trying to make it active :D) i've decided not to use a gallery, as it uses up too many resources and is a bit pointless. I'm also going to set up an ftp server, and back up images, icons, etc, archive them, and post them on a seperate page, therefore making it easy to get to and download...assuring that we don't have to depend on a remote host...also i plan to set up a chat...tell me, which would you prefer: a normal chat, or web based IRC client, that you can fix settings on (the default being of course the normal ROS channels...) thanks!
Witch

Post by Witch »

I think it would be helpful for your future visitors. If you explained in a manifesto or something on your website. How your team relates to the ReactOS project as a whole.

* What's the purpose with this ReactOS Design Team?
* What will this team do and what won't this team do? In the ReactOS context?

Stuff like that which clarifies your responsibilites and the extent of your authorization powers in the ReactOS project.

* Where this Team is heading?
* What is this Team's primary goals besides making hot looking graphics?
* etc. etc.