Clinging to Windows Classic

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

billyswong

Re: Clinging to Windows Classic

Post by billyswong »

Oh please. I was NEVER talking about whether ReactOS should or could keep classic theme. Of course ReactOS can keep the classic theme forever. I was talking about whether ReactOS should implement a Win7 alike taskbar or a more classic one like Win2k or a mix of them. I did not mix things up. I am talking about whether ReactOS should implement UI "features" of newer Windows if they are incompatible to the older UI "features". A start menu cannot be both Win2k alike and Vista alike at the same time. A taskbar cannot be of Win95 era and Win7 "dock style" at the same time. (check out those Win7 preview and see how drastic the taskbar will change) They are not themes, but they are also not features you can add as you please. They are UI design decisions that one is forced to take side.

It is an easy task to keep the old look and feel (in terms of behaviour, not theme) of classic taskbar while updating itself to be feature compatible to the upcoming new taskbar. The new taskbar in Win7 is a lot more than windows-grouping. It unifies many things and deletes many things all at the same time. I hope you will get what I mean this time.

kevinski

Post by kevinski »

Windows Classic is really just the theme, but this thread has definitely gone more in the direction of UI alteration. Really, ReactOS will need to implement its own variation of Windows 7's taskbar and whatnot. Otherwise, as has already been stated, ReactOS will simply become less relevant with each new version of Windows.

By the way, I actually like the idea of Web search within the Start menu's search box. I'd actually prefer something along the lines of Google Suggest, personally.
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

SdC

Post by SdC »

billyswong wrote: ...I hope you will get what I mean this time.
I've decided to stop wasting my time on this stupid forum. Going around in circles all the time. Nothing ever comes of it. It's just a shouting contest. Bye.

Black_Fox

Post by Black_Fox »

You are welcome to waste time at the much smarter IRC.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

SdC. Well the forums are there to collect all the stuff which would normally contaminate the Chat. Go there if you want at at least a bit usefulness or at least leave the Design Forums, which are as useful as a flu right now. 8) Hell, we are in Alpha Stadium and thank God for every successful boot and you talk about making eye candy out of it.
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

Smiley
Developer

Post by Smiley »

Can you people explain one thing?
Why is it so difficult to understand that Reactos isn't mature enough to have all these nice features you are suggesting?
Sure Reactos will have a nice theme installed, a nice taskbar and more but someone has to do all these! Please understand that the developers have some priorities!
For exmple it is more important for reactos to be compatible with windows applications than to have a fancy appearance.

There are still many thing to do. Yesterday I tried to enable themes in Reactos and this was the reasults:
http://img205.imageshack.us/img205/9492/uxtheme1hc8.jpg

So if you want eyecandy you have to help fix all this mess

Aape

Post by Aape »

Why. Why WHY is there this massive fetish to automatically assume that every suggestion has a automatically implied "Do this right now or I will burn your house down!" attached to it?

The idea isn't to say "We should drop working on compatibility in order to implement flashy animations!" the idea is "Let's start getting ideas and planning for what we're going to do with the user interface/experience for when ROS is mature enough for that to matter much."

If you jump into every conversation on the design forum and say "We can't do this stuff yet because ROS still doesn't work!", you're not informing anyone of anything. You're not giving some rare insight. You are trolling and you are being a complete asshole. If it held ANY merit what-so-ever, then the Design forum would have no purpose at all. We can't be working on icons! We have to get the kernel stable! */wrist*

Jesus Christ, you think this should be a giant message plastered at the top of every page in this forum.

preston
Developer

Post by preston »

it should be. thanks for the idea.

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

No reason to become too personal Aape, this could cause warnings etc. I am not the one who started to piss off ppl in here so much that they are about to leave us. Lets call my post "pulling the emergency break" If this thread does not get some better manners and keeps on the thin line called topic, we should lock it. Sometimes I really think I spend too much time in here trying to keep it sort of clean...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes.

kevinski

Post by kevinski »

I certainly do feel that people need to chill out with regard to the discussions in the design forum. As has been stated in multiple topics, the threads in this particular forum aren't trying to interrupt the progress that is being made with regard to kernel stability. Really, these are just ideas, and this forum should be considered as nothing more than a brain-storming area at the moment. And yes, I do agree that there should be some sort of message at the top of this forum, stating that everything with it in should be considered as such.
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]

Lone_Rifle
Test Team

Post by Lone_Rifle »

stop beating this dead horse. discussion has gone out of scope. start a new one.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Let moderators attach a message on the top of this Design forum…

EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

OK, Sticky "read before post" topic is now in place. Happy Brain Storming

Aape

Post by Aape »

Sorry I blew up like that, I kinda went out of line. Though the stickied topic is greatly appreciated <3

Back on topic!

While we're at it, something that always bothered me is how auto-hiding the taskbar works. If your mouse goes anywhere near the bottom of the screen, the taskbar pops right back up, and this is VERY annoying. Why not have it so it only re-appears if you move the mouse to a "Bubble" in the bottom corners? With it being configurable to have the "legacy" behavior, as well.

hto
Developer

Post by hto »

Or in the top.

BeOS has a good feature, it runs a screensaver when the mouse pointer has moved to the corner.