New reactos cd cover

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Aape

Re: New reactos cd cover

Post by Aape »

Yazou wrote:Hmm, I thought that MediaFire do both (files & images). But he doesn't even consider PNG as image format... So I will follow your advice from now :).

For the logo, it's really yours : I just used rotation and moreover I used the "CD cover" version. I didn't see that you have posted the logo.

For the effects on the logo, I thought that it will look better. By looking Linux Distributions logo on Wikipedia (openSuSE, Fedora), they look nice and simple with none effects. But on their website, they add some effects on it. So you're right : the official logo should be simple and have no effects. Then we could add some extra on it for the website, covers...

To vectorise your logo, it's easy :
1. Set the background as transparency instead of white.
2. Import it in Inkscape.
3. Select it then do Path > Trace Bitmap > OK.
4. Move the new image (vectorised) and then delete the old one (non-vectorised) that is below.
5. Select the new image then do File > Document Properties > Fit page to selection.

And now you have your vectorised logo :D.

PS : When I look at ReactOS logo, it reminds me an atom with electrons around or a planet with rings. Don't you guys think the same ? :?
The problem with mediafire with images is you can't directly link to the image so that you can show it right there in the forum post or show it in a browser window. You have to download it to your hard disk, then look at it.

It is? I thought it was rotated at first, but the perspective on the "Rims" looked off. I didn't draw them as sheared ovals, I drew normal circles, then stretched them with Gimp's perspective tool.

Wow, I had no idea it was that easy! I spent like, 2 hours messing around trying to recreate it @_@

Here is the SVG version of it, then. Feel free to mess around.

EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be an atom, with the "Rims" being an outline of the orbits of the electron (which isn't wholly accurate, as electrons don't "orbit" the atom in the same way the earth orbits around the sun).
Last edited by Aape on Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yazou

Post by Yazou »

Aape wrote: It is? I thought it was rotated at first, but the perspective on the "Rims" looked off. I didn't draw them as sheared ovals, I drew normal circles, then stretched them with Gimp's perspective tool.
Lol I think that the "sheared ovals" are just because I edited the CD cover. I tried to remove the background with the magic wand tool and so the result isn't perfect and seemed to be sheared.
Aape wrote: Wow, I had no idea it was that easy! I spent like, 2 hours messing around trying to recreate it @_@
:mrgreen:
Aape wrote: EDIT: I'm pretty sure it's supposed to be an atom, with the "Rims" being an outline of the orbits of the electron (which isn't wholly accurate, as electrons don't "orbit" the atom in the same way the earth orbits around the sun).
What about rename ReactOS as AtomOS (atomos = atom in greek) ? :mrgreen: :joke:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Sorry for my bad English.
My ReactOS stuff on MediaFire | Photobucket
Aape

Post by Aape »

May as well ask right here, does Inkscape have anything that's equivalent to Gimp's perspective tool?
Yazou

Post by Yazou »

I don't think unfortunately. Maybe you can try this : Path > Object to path and then F2.
Or see this tutorial at 15 min.
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
vicmarcal
Test Team

Post by vicmarcal »

Well AFAIK our Logo is an Atom ;) that´s why we are called ReactOS.Or better we are called React(ion)OS so we have an Atom Logo.
forart

Post by forart »

A DiscWrapper version would be great, IMHO.
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy ,

Aape, nice black/white svg conform of Reactos Atom ! :)
Yazou :mrgreen: Atomos, hear good *biggrin*
Vicmarcal, .. right :D ..
Forart, i dont now, if be used at start.. but a realy good idea..
for later if go Reactos on CD-Press ... with Version 0.5.0 or so..
shold be stabile if it's give a reactos-Cd wipth logo on cd as official one..

best regards
Blacky
Yazou

Post by Yazou »

vicmarcal wrote:Well AFAIK our Logo is an Atom ;) that´s why we are called ReactOS.Or better we are called React(ion)OS so we have an Atom Logo.
Oh, I thought that React was for "to react" because it boots faster than Windows :o. Maybe it's for both.
forart wrote:A DiscWrapper version would be great, IMHO.
Maybe that's me who can't use it but it doesn't seem to have a lot of features...

PS : Hmm, Blackcrack, sometimes I find hard to understand what you are saying :?. Could you make an effort to write "well"? I'm french and I really don't get most of your posts...
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

(sorry for my offtopic)
Hy Yazou,

si vous pensez, encore une guerre flammes pour mon english-ci, il continue à Maizières autour de mon anglais, c'est assez sur les nerfs déjà, nous sommes une communauté ouverte, et je suis pas parfait, si vous ne parvenez pas à lire mes posts pouvez , Lisez pas facile mais elle est calme, je me tiens derrière reactos que les autres aussi .. moa a alleman
excusé pour mon français, mais maintenant, j'ai pris un traducteur, que les autres, il n'est pas nécessairement comprendre.

Merci chers
Blacky

p.s.: sorry for my frace..
kevinski

Post by kevinski »

Here's a new take on the ReactOS logo. Forgive the quality, as it's just a sketch (and I just cranked up the contrast to make it stand out more). It's much better than my original concept. Good? Bad? Notice that I changed the perspective of the logo, making it appear as though it's towering over you.

[ external image ]

I was trying to recreate it in Inkscape, but I'm horrible with vectors. :(
[ Web | kevinski.com ] [ Wii | 7030 8283 2535 8378 ]
Aape

Post by Aape »

It looks like a spider is trying to climb out of an orange.

Also, a logo shouldn't "Tower over you". A logo should represent you, and it should also be warm and inviting. It should say "Hey, relax, we're friends! Lemme buy you a drink?", and not in the false-politeness way either. It shouldn't say "YOU SHALL BECOME ONE WITH THE BORG!1!!"
Last edited by Aape on Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
kevinski

Post by kevinski »

Hahahaha...at least it being an orange will add some much needed color to the logo. XD
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy,

hahahahahaha... Aape, right...*rofl* like a melon with a band of steal.. like a plasic.. it's namend modern art :mrgreen:
sorry kevinski :oops: you have 2 funtionating hands of nature.. i kan't realy use a mouse at moment, but.. imho ,
you can it better Dude :D try it again, you known the official Reactos Logo :)
This is the school of live Kevinski ;)

best regards
Blacky
kevinski

Post by kevinski »

Aape wrote:Also, a logo shouldn't "Tower over you". A logo should represent you, and it should also be warm and inviting. It should say "Hey, relax, we're friends! Lemme buy you a drink?", and not in the false-politeness way either. It shouldn't say "YOU SHALL BECOME ONE WITH THE BORG!1!!"
Wow, I read your comment again, and I realized that I somehow completely missed this part. That's actually quite funny. XD

Anyway, I wasn't intending for the logo to look dominant or anything. If you're looking down at something, then it generally comes off as something that isn't supposed to really make a lot of impact. With it appearing as though you're looking up at the logo, it looks to be something more significant, although not necessarily intimidating.

I've also noticed that the ReactOS logo differs a lot from what I'd consider to be an atom. It really looks like more of a planet. Given this fact, I figured that I'd try to make the logo look more interesting, while also attempting to simplify it to make it more scalable and whatnot. The thin lines just get lost too easily as the logo is scaled down, unless you make them much thicker than they should be, in which case it just looks tacky (i.e. as in the favicon for the ReactOS Web site). I may need to get away from the spider look. I have a lot of concept logos drawn out, but the "spider" one is my favorite thus far. I'll keep working on it. :P
Elledan

Post by Elledan »

Perhaps a logo featuring a spider carrying a planet on its back...

Sorry, been reading too much Discworld :P