Is the use of the KDE4 base a good idea for the next shell?

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

V!NCENT

Is the use of the KDE4 base a good idea for the next shell?

Post by V!NCENT »

If you are going to have a new shell, then why not design it on top of KDE4 Plasma? The Plasma desktop is extremely flexible. It supports scalable vector graphics (nice thing to have when scaling up the desktop as you can do with XP), OpenGL graphics (for a Vista style ReactOS desktop) and everything is a widget (nice for a 'skinned' XP interface and Vista gadgets). The KDE4 Window manager is also OpenGL, so you can create the Vista 'scroll through windows' effects. KDE4 ofcourse also allows 2D rendering for the older interfaces (XP and earlyer).

It would be nice to see the option, just like in XP and Vista, that allows you to have a classic-, XP- or Vista desktop.

I have no clue to wether KDE4 can even be intergatable into ReactOS though. So please enlighten me :)

What are your thoughts on this?
Haos
Test Team

Re: Is the use of the KDE4 base a good idea for the next shell?

Post by Haos »

Whole KDE4 is in early beta, read some LinuxHater`s blog entries on that. Speaking of windows port, its really a failure. It is not going to be trully native, at least not in this decade. They are using QT instead, thus lessen performance and increased mem usage. I wouldn`t touch it with a 10ft pole.
FlyingIsFun1217

Post by FlyingIsFun1217 »

Nasty KDE4, nastynastynasty!

FlyingIsFun1217
z180

Post by z180 »

I liked KDE 2.2 but this is some time ago.
GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

If I wanted to use KDE then I would use Linux.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Haos. KDE 4 on windows is not that much slower than at lot of other applications on windows.

Particularly other ones built with the Visual Studio C++ wrapper around the windows api. Ok wrapper less programs faster.

Mem usage expand is basically equal from Visual Studio C++ wrapper and using QT. So no worse. I am currently running sections of it.

Replacement to the desktop completely is still a few years off for windows. Most KDE 4 applications should be across to windows by end of year.
jcfuller

Post by jcfuller »

I noticed "D" doing a port of SWT. Is this a feasible direction for ReactOS??

James
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Umm, what exactly do you mean by "feasible?" If you mean "port SWT," I'm not sure there's a need as once we can run the Java runtime, we get SWT. If you mean port the SWT API to C or something like that, that's well beyond the scope of this project.
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Standard_W ... tside_Java

Its SWT C++ for windows not ported to other platforms yet. And D is also native D.

I think SWT usage inside reactos still would be the same as using C++ special case needed.