Page 1 of 2

Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:46 am
by Carlo Bramix
Hello.
As you can see from this little screenshot:

[ external image ]

at the moment ReactOS is missing the icon for the midi interface into the 'mmsys' control panel applet.
If you are an artist and you would like to help, you could desing an icon (or a small bitmap: I do not think it would be a big problem) for solving this issue.
We are waiting your suggestions.

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:10 pm
by Ged
This should be taken from Tango to keep the icons consistent

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:28 pm
by grschneider
Why not use this one? It's not a midi-keyboard, but music fits the context.
[ external image ]

It can be found here:
tango-icon-theme-0.8.1\[size]\mimetypes\audio-x-generic.png

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:48 pm
by GoBusto
EDITED: Here are some icons I made using the standard Windows 16-colour range.

16x16 [ external image ]
24x24 [ external image ] (Version 1)
24x24 [ external image ] (Version 2)
32x32 [ external image ] (Version 1)
32x32 [ external image ] (Version 2)

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:35 pm
by Carlo Bramix
Hello,
Ged wrote:This should be taken from Tango to keep the icons consistent
This was my initial intention too, but it seems to me that there is no MIDI icon into Tango:
(for people who does not know what we are talking about)
http://tango.freedesktop.org/Tango_Icon_Library
I see that there is the "musical note" icon into Tango but, if I can say opinion, it looks a bit too generic.
But after looking all nice feedbacks with ReactX logo contest, I'm quite sure we can get a good icon that looks well with Tango style, that's why I did this post...

Sincerely,

Carlo Bramini.

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 2:26 pm
by z180
What size and colour depth should be icons and bitmaps submitted to ReactOS?
Windows icons were black-white only up to Windows 3.0
Then 16 coloured and XP betas had 256 colour icons.
ReactOS seems to use 24-bit icons and bitmaps.
Another question is the size of the graphics.

ReactOS used KDE icons in explorer and control panel long ago.

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 3:10 pm
by hefner
I like the icons from GoBusto ... they are simple and easy to recognize ...

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:12 pm
by silverblade
Just to add my thoughts to this...

I'm not a big fan of the speaker icon used for the control panel applet (the one shown in the screenshot). At a first glance it does not immediately look like a speaker - it looks more like a tube with something in the middle of it.

It's a speaker cone, sure, but there's just something about it which looks dull/dry, for want of a better description. It also looks mis-shaped around the edges.

The micrphone icon is OK, although it's a bit grey (like the speaker icon!)

Unfortunately, as much as I'm involved with audio, I'm not much of a graphics person! :lol:

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:08 pm
by GoBusto
z180 wrote:What size and colour depth should be icons and bitmaps submitted to ReactOS?
Windows icons were black-white only up to Windows 3.0
Then 16 coloured and XP betas had 256 colour icons.
ReactOS seems to use 24-bit icons and bitmaps.
Another question is the size of the graphics.

ReactOS used KDE icons in explorer and control panel long ago.
It seems that 32x32 is about the right size:

[ external image ]

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 5:41 pm
by hto
silverblade wrote: Just to add my thoughts to this...

I'm not a big fan of the speaker icon used for the control panel applet (the one shown in the screenshot). At a first glance it does not immediately look like a speaker - it looks more like a tube with something in the middle of it.

It's a speaker cone, sure, but there's just something about it which looks dull/dry, for want of a better description. It also looks mis-shaped around the edges.
I suggest to replace the speaker icon by gramophone's horn image.

Like this one:
[ external image ]
:-)

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:46 pm
by Speedator
GoBusto: It is very nice, but I think it would be good to have it more greyish like the tango-icons and maybe a bit more "3D" like the original windows-icon and the tango-icons. In the current way it sticksout a little bit.

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 1:54 am
by swight
GoBusto: I like the one on the right best if they were up for comparison. partially because of the reduced windows size,and also because I like the midi icon better(much easier to see).

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 10:48 am
by GoBusto
swight wrote:GoBusto: I like the one on the right best if they were up for comparison. partially because of the reduced windows size,and also because I like the midi icon better(much easier to see).
I should probably have mentioned that the one on the right is from Windows XP, while the one on the left is the (slightly modified) ReactOS version.

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Thu Jul 24, 2008 5:19 pm
by Speedator
As I said try to make a more 3Dish version, so it fits a little bit more.
And doing it vector-based, would be great, too.
Any nice work!

Re: Image for MIDI interface.

Posted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 4:03 pm
by coldReactive
I still prefer the 16/32-bit XP version, since those modified ReactOS ones look a bit sloppy =/