Multiple Logon

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

RaptorEmperor

Multiple Logon

Post by RaptorEmperor »

For a while now I've had an idea in my head regarding logins in ReactOS.

Windows XP allows one person at a time to be logged in. They reach the logon menu, log in, and then they're good to go. If someone else wants to get on to their profile, then the current user has to either log on or switch user, which doesn't log off the current user, but still necessitates that they don't use it.

Constant bickering with between my brother, mother, and myself made me think about logging in, and I was left wondering if it would be possible to have multiple people logged in at the same time, like an old school terminal. Each person would have to have their own monitor, keyboard and mouse, and login as a separate user. This would also take a bit of a toll on the processing power, but with the newer, more powerful processors this would be less and less of a problem, especially if the computer was only being asked to complete less intensive tasks such as web browsing or spider solitaire and if ReactOS avoids the morbidly obese fate of Windows Vista (which it should).

I don't know the specifics of how Windows XP does the switch user stuff, so I'm not 100% sure if my idea would work in an NT system. Does it sound feasible?
betaluva

Re: Multiple Logon

Post by betaluva »

reactos comes with a remote desktop client so theres no reason why you all couldnt log on to another reactos installation and run you virtual desktops.
cppm

Post by cppm »

When you 'switch users' you are technically still logged in. Just you can't usually access the desktop. Logging in 2 user's really shouldn't take up much more processing power than if the 1 user used the applications that the 2 users would be using. Technically there are several hidden users running on your machine when only one 'real' user is logged in. These are accounts for system control. They are much more widespread in *nixes such as the laptop i'm writing this on, but there's a few on NT systems as well.

In the NT world you tend to use what's called 'roaming profiles' unfortunately what this means is that you have a thin client that downloads all the user profile data when you log in, and synchronizes it again when you log off, so not quite the same thing, this is probably what the old school terminal did. For actually logging in remotely you want to look at Windows Terminal Server and check out Citrix as well. In principle this isn't hard, ReactOS has it's own built in client, although I don't know if there are any open source terminal servers out there.
Ged
Developer

Post by Ged »

Sounds to me like you're talking about terminal servers.
Citrix provides this feature.
RaptorEmperor

Post by RaptorEmperor »

I'm not quite sure if I got my thoughts across well. Terminals probably weren't the best analogy.

To the best of my knowledge, Remote Desktop and Citrix both require either a thin client or a computer to act as a thin client. I'm considering the possibility of using a single unit for two users simultaneously. I drew up a little schematic to give an idea how such a setup would look.

[ external image ]

The user would attach a two monitors, two keyboards, and two mice to the computer. Then there would be a brief setup process telling the computer which of the monitors, keyboards, and mice are to work together. Afterwards, when the computer would power up, both screens would display the log on screen. User A would log on through one display, and it would run as normal. User B would log on through the other. If the account he tried to log on to was currently being used, he would be notified of such, and asked to select a different account. When both User A and B were logged on, it would work as if they were using separate computers. When one user finally decided to shut the computer down, they would need permission from the remaining user to do so. If permission was not granted, the departing user would simply log out, and if permission was granted, the computer would log out both profiles and shut down.

Does that make more sense?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

http://www.userful.com/

Makes perfect sense you are after what userful desktop does to linux. Note it takes it a few steps deeper a long 10 users at once on a single machine. Note userful just provides a simple way to setup X11 to do it. X11 naturally has the means to do it. There have be other programs for windows that have done like the same thing. So I know its possible.

Now doing something like http://wearables.unisa.edu.au/mpx/?q=mpx would be tricky. Currently desktops on linux are having to be updated to support it effectively. 1 screen many users all using the applications on screen at once.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

hy,

humm, why not the best of all System... once, like Win32 and
grafical System and once multible logins and the bash
(users shold changing them or make F1-F3 for Dos and F4-F6 for bash)
.. Linux like .. by keypressing alt+strg+F1 - F6 bash or Freedos
running as/like Deamon/Service and logins from strg+alt+F7 - F12 .
So it's enabled to let run ssh-logins and vnc-logins ... that's imho the
best what it can make, enabling to multible login on one computer ...
like Terminal-Server ... but better technologie behind, we have the 21 century ;)

And if dont start the Win32 System or dont start in Win32 Save System,
so can start in Dos or bash ... how ever..

Multibel logins enable one of pease to better and faster working..
to make more as one operations on one computer.. like a server or other..

best regards
Blacky
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Blackcrack

I dont know do you manage to make it look so easy... Its not like SOMEONE should alter several critical NT components, WITH retaining full compatibility in the process... Another useless idea...
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

oky, if you think it's useless.....
oky, the idea with a other subsystem tor enabling to logon, was on the table...

regards
Blacky
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

At least try to gather some info on HOW it could be done... Then maybe you`ll notice what are you asking for.
Blackcrack

Post by Blackcrack »

Hy Haos,

i had so manny Programm's in the Hand's as User and more, i think i have enough
ideas invade to get it reactos, maby i cant programming, but i know what's
funtioning (or shold funtioning *bg*) and what not. Trust me,
i wish the best for ROS and i whant only to be Reactos the best of the best
System on PC and of corse for the Enduser too .
And therewith, if i have fast ideas , so take it on the list of you whant
or if you dont whant so cancel it .. or it's need.. how ever...
i try to get what i can get..
how ever, back to Topic *s*

The Picture of RaptorEmperor, i think it's need only a usb-hub with a 2nd usb-grafikcard and Keyboard+mouse ... or... more usb-Grafikcards, more Inputdevices ...
so have a enabling to have multilogons ... or so *s* .. wrong ?

regards
Blacky
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

USB hub is not a 100 percent requirement.

The ability to assign what USB ports to what user is. Careful screen management is also a requirement. Note Linux pulls of two users on a duel head video card. Ie each output is a different user. This requires a few management thing set up in the graphical subsystem.

There was a package for windows that use to connect ps2 ports to printer ports and do it. Yes machines don't even need USB support to run 2 users. printer ports provide more than enough power to run ps2 devices.

Idea is doable its the work required.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

@Blackcrack

Yeah... the point is that you have no bloody idea what can be done. Please, just once in your life notice the difference between "should be done" and "can be done". Multiple login would be usefull but it may be just too tough and too intrusive to be inplemented safely.
SdC

Post by SdC »

Why is this thread in the design forum?
Why do people still think that stuff they think they need but isn't in Windows would/should be considered for ReactOS (before there is full compatibility)?
Why does Blackcrack keep coming back to the English forum?
Why do I even care?
BOT_ev

Post by BOT_ev »

Why do people still think that stuff they think they need but isn't in Windows would/should be considered for ReactOS (before there is full compatibility)?
Why does Blackcrack keep coming back to the English forum?
Why do I even care?
Good questions ...