Web Browser???

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

We are using version synced from WINE. It doesnt register in ROS atm.
shedokan

Post by shedokan »

what about firefox?
Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

Too bloated and doesn't use the win32 API.
forart

Post by forart »

shedokan wrote:what about firefox?
MPL is incompatible with GPL, unfortunally.

So K-Meleon instead !
»Forward Agency NPO
In progress we (always) trust.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

K-meleon cannot use most of FF plugins. Apart from that its quite nice.
Phalanx

Post by Phalanx »

When reality comes down to it, the only open source browser which is able to access most of the net without a user running into many problems, contains the natural security is Gekko, and with 1.9 is a lot faster and memory nicer than the competition. If your really trying to make a user friendly system then you don't have much choice.
Nicolass

Post by Nicolass »

I thing that Firefox should be a defaut web browser, it's free, polular, and have most of plugin. Linux have Firefox to standard web browser, ROS can too, yes?
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

No point talking about what should be default browser yet. There is the webkit that is base to apples and kdes web browsers.

http://labs.trolltech.com/page/Projects/Internet/WebKit Note its interface independent. There are two open source engines. Webkit and Gecko they are both about the same level of support of net standards and both cross platform. Webkit is lgpl so usable with reactos licensing.

When Reactos gets stable then project has to choose. No point choosing now only to turn out to be wrong. There is even a chance that a third of 4 option might appear before that time.

http://links.twibright.com This is another engine that has not been ported to windows. There are a few more opensource html engines out there than most people know. Mozilla has done a good job of putting firefox in everyones face.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

I dont think Firefox should be a default browser. Its unreliable, prone to crash, slow at rendering and bloats at memory use.

See? We may take it for days like that. This is why i am against bundling any of the popular browsers in ROS. Everyone should pick their own favourite or we should eventually choose some really small and lightweight one.
Sand

Post by Sand »

I vote for icecape
Radhad

Post by Radhad »

iceape is only a suite, where iceweasel is firefox and just a fork from debian developers ... So there is not really a difference !
SdC

Post by SdC »

Haos wrote:I dont think Firefox should be a default browser. Its unreliable, prone to crash, slow at rendering and bloats at memory use.

See? We may take it for days like that. This is why i am against bundling any of the popular browsers in ROS. Everyone should pick their own favourite or we should eventually choose some really small and lightweight one.
Yes I agree with you completely. ReactOS is an OS. Because of Microsoft's practice of bundling a lot of stuff with Windows, people's perception of what an OS is, has changed to a complete internet/multimedia platform with lots of bells and whistles. But technically, the OS is still just the foundation. I would LOVE it if ReactOS was shipped JUST with Explorer and Notepad.
fred02

Post by fred02 »

SdC wrote:I would LOVE it if ReactOS was shipped JUST with Explorer and Notepad.
And even without. :wink:
EmuandCo
Developer

Post by EmuandCo »

IceApe == SeaMonkey. Licensing Problems were fixed I thought...
ReactOS is still in alpha stage, meaning it is not feature-complete and is recommended only for evaluation and testing purposes
oiaohm

Post by oiaohm »

Firefox is 3 licensed beast. http://www.mozilla.org/MPL/

MPL/GPL/LGPL Webkit and Gecko are both usable with ros. The real issue is what one will give the best support in the end.

Catch is we are not close enough to end to decide. No point talking about Gecko or its relations yet. Same with no point talking about webkit and its relegations. So far there is no webbrower using both engines.