Web Browser???

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Z98
Release Engineer

Post by Z98 »

What? Gecko is written in C++, though there is extensive usage of Javascript in Firefox.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

What? Gecko is written in C++, though there is extensive usage of Javascript in Firefox.
That's why I avoided suggesting Firefox instead of Amaya because if that were possible I would have definitely suggested Kmeleon which outperforms both.
Last edited by meridian.blue on Fri Apr 11, 2008 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Is Maxton at least opensource??
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Is Maxton at least opensource??
I don't think so, they're partnering w/ Microsoft.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

And I'm not sure what language they're using. They do however use Trident and a alternate Gecko engine.
z180

Post by z180 »

how about writing our own browser that uses directly the reactos working API.
Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Would you code it yourself?
cppm

Post by cppm »

meridian.blue wrote:
That's why I avoided suggesting Firefox instead of Amaya because if that were possible I would have definitely suggested Kmeleon which outperforms both.
Huh? Gecko is fully opensource, all GPL...
meridian.blue wrote: Again the issue is a third party solution/engine not a panacea or utopia. Based on this reasoning there would be no such thing as alpha or beta (W3C originally released Amaya as beta) and certainly ROS would not exist.
buuuutttt.... this project isn't in the business of fixing/testing the W3C's experimental browsers.... so the fact it currently blows compared with gecko and even trident (have you tried viewing this forum?) is entirely relevent when you're suggesting that it be included. I mean It doesn't even support moueover effects, and I bet getting flash to work is laughable, in short NOT what the average end user wants. And we're not going to fix it just cause you like this particular "third party solution
meridian.blue wrote: Geez, this is all open source that's what mods are for.
like one of mozilla's ex head dev's said "open source is not magic pixie dust" it doesn't automatically make work possible, and it doesn't stop gecko looking ssooooo much better from a general browsing point of view, and it doesn't stop making fixing amaya look like some pet thing you have going on...
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

buuuutttt.... this project isn't in the business of fixing/testing the W3C's experimental browsers.... so the fact it currently blows compared with gecko and even trident (have you tried viewing this forum?) is entirely relevent when you're suggesting that it be included. I mean It doesn't even support moueover effects, and I bet getting flash to work is laughable, in short NOT what the average end user wants. And we're not going to fix it just cause you like this particular "third party solution
I'm a Trident (Maxthon)/Gecko (Kmeleon) user so you are preaching to the choir. What I suggested is something that MIGHT be a solution in whole or part, which is different from "what I (actually) like". What is included or fixed is up to the coders. Which is in contrast to the suggestion to use IE/Trident which is a dealbreaker because it is proprietary. Again I tried to avoid suggesting a browser which uses Activex or Java. As far as what so called "average" end users want (which is largely speculated then bundled by you know who... and rarely democratic, ) that is largely dictated by Redmond which of the late has been off the mark.
like one of mozilla's ex head dev's said "open source is not magic pixie dust" it doesn't automatically make work possible, and it doesn't stop gecko looking ssooooo much better from a general browsing point of view, and it doesn't stop making fixing amaya look like some pet thing you have going on...
Open source and copyleft would not be possible without ideas. Forums entertain ideas as opposed to thinking in a vaccuum. Ideas are the "magic pixie dust" which is the foundation of any project. The issue was compliance not comparison it's not a contest. Amaya is a suggestion not a agenda (I am not part of the ROS team). Fixing Amaya was not my suggestion (entertaining its merit was) that yet again is up to the coders. If my posts are read closely and taken in context speculation would not be needed.
Last edited by meridian.blue on Sat Apr 12, 2008 10:17 pm, edited 3 times in total.
cppm

Post by cppm »

ugh, sorry if my last post was slightly below par on conciseness... and sorry meridian.blue if i got a little carried away... i'd been drinking :oops: It seemed really clever at the time :oops:

In short, I don't think Amaya is the ideal client for most people to be able to just 'pick up and use' and check their e-mails, read blogs etc, this is what i mean by 'average' users. Although it is a very interesting engine that's true to the original spirit of the web (editability etc) and suggests an interesting path for rendering engine design.

However I really would like to explore more into the idea of hooking mshtml up to different rendering engines, and then possibly supplying a basic GUI with the system.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

No harm, no foul... No problem duly noted. Amaya may very well need work but at the least appears to be the route of least resistance. Amaya was entertained because a browser might be contemplated for ROS. I'm not sure if other approaches are.
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Browser shell options seem a possibility I'm not sure engine options are.
cppm

Post by cppm »

Gecko is working fine for the moment, i'm sure in the future people will like using KHTML/WebKit, Amaya I would put somewhere below those 2 (3? do we count WebKit as distinct from KHTML?) in terms of likelihood to end up in any distros.

If hotswapping rendering in mshtml never gets coded, people will certainly be able to change files around... coldswapping if you will.

Right now the slim gui approach will probably fall on the problem that there's simply noone spare to code it :( although wine is doing something but the included apps in wine's code never see much improvement...
meridian.blue

Post by meridian.blue »

Well, to say the least, compliance issues will make any approach complicated. So, no matter if anything entertained is a keeper, it will not come without a hurdle. Trident (mshtml) is proprietary and that presents a hurdle.
.aart3k

Post by .aart3k »

hmm... is there a replacement for mshtml.dll in ros btw?