Reacty Design

The place to bring up any design issues, or post your own creations

Moderator: Moderator Team

Shawhifox

Re: Reacty Design

Post by Shawhifox »

It is not the same, it is clear that the majority of the people hated clippy and that something like that would be ridiculous, what I was looking is a logo who resembles the atom but more showy, it would be more the mascot of the web that a unofficial mascot of ROS (in case of doing it some day...)

I would not do something like that... I don't like reacty atom version that's why I proposed a new idea ^^U

andrewweb

Post by andrewweb »

COME ON! FOLLOW SENSE!
Kill reacty (microsoft did with clippit).
But on the OOBE (out-of-box-experience), MS used a simple help icon instead. so just use the reactos logo with a help symbol on it!
(although, microsoft's agent technology which is free would be nice to use for the character animation and interactivity, it is proprietary, so, we cant include it)

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

I've noticed that operating systems essentially use EITHER a logo or a mascot, but not both.

Windows
-Logo: Windows flag.
-Mascot: None.
MacOSX
-Logo: An apple.
GNU
-Icon: None.
-Mascot: A gnu.
Linux
-Logo: None.
-Mascot: Tux the Penguin.
BSD
-Mascot: Beastie.
AROS
-Mascot: Kitty.

Therefore, I'd say that, since ReactOS already has the atom logo, it doesn't really need a mascot as well.

Disclaimer: The above list is "to the best of my knowledge," so any corrections are welcome.

Haos
Test Team

Post by Haos »

Good point, GoBusto.

Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Windows

-Closed source.

MacOSX

-Closed source.

GNU

-Open source.

Linux

-Open source.

BSD

-Open source.

AROS

-Open source.

Like what must be look ROS? A mascot does not need to always appear in the program, for example Tux does not appear in all the distros.

GoBusto

Post by GoBusto »

Shawhifox wrote:Windows

-Closed source.

MacOSX

-Closed source.

GNU

-Open source.

Linux

-Open source.

BSD

-Open source.

AROS

-Open source.

Like what must be look ROS? A mascot does not need to always appear in the program, for example Tux does not appear in all the distros.
I'd say that this was a coincidence and, even if there were some correlation between open-ness of source code and anthopomorphism of its representative icon, my point is that we don't need a mascot as well as the atom logo in order to recognise ReactOS.

It's not like I'd flip out and go on a rampage if the dev team suddenly decided "Actually, yeah, a mascot would be cool" but I do think that this is a case where "less is more" in terms of associated imagery.

EDIT: To be pedantic, MacOSX is not completely closed source - the Darwin kernel, for instance, is open source, and I believe that XCode uses the GNU GCC compiler.

Shawhifox

Post by Shawhifox »

Perhaps I did not express myself well ^^U

What I meant is that normally the free projects they use mascot, but it is not by coincidence... The closed source projects do not need mascot, is enough for them to have a logo or name that attracts the people, because its purpose is to sell. The free projects usually have mascot because the people likes to have something funny and so they feel identified, that does more "human" the project. Perhaps it is not necessary and it is never made, but because this thread was written, makes me think that it will be asked again in the future.

I do not want to continue being annoying :oops: I only wanted that my point of view was understood ^^U

coldReactive

Post by coldReactive »

MACOS has sorta a mascot, it's the apple logo =/

Windows is the same with the windows-like logo.

If you ask me, mascots are just personified versions of the logo -_-

So I think just the logo is enough.